Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Help in finding a stargazing group

Hi everyone

I'm quite new to stargazing (A newby) I got my telescope for christmas . I have been out in my back garden about five times now and seen some amazing stuff like Jupiter and it's moons , Orion nebula , The star Sirius , Andromeda Galaxy and so on.

Everyone on SGL have helped me on my journey to picking a telescope and eyepieces but I think I would benefit from joining a stargazer group in my area (Taunton somerset) and I can't seem to find one , I need one close to Taunton as I don't drive and my missus is quite busy , the only one I can find next to me is Sowy stargazers in Othery which is to far to carry my 200p skywatcher telescope . Can any help me ?

One at Norton-Sub-Hamdon, Crewkerne AS, looks about the closest, but woul need a car to get to it. It is effect just North of Yeovil

There is one advertised at Tiverton, agian you really need transport, even the train appears to miss Tiverton - thought that it might go there so you get a train there and back.

Looks like nothing convenient, at least not on the Fedastro site and that tends to be fairly comprehensive.

Nothing on another list I have either.

Check the social groups in case a few from here meet informally, I have seen a similar question previously about Taunton so may some people get together.

Thanks Ronin

I will just have to keep looking or try to drag my missus around with me to stargazing meetings ( She will be happy) I will look at the social groups and see what I can find .

I looked and nothing for Somerset in the SGL Social Groups.

These were the 2 sites I had for Astro Clubs:

http://www.astronomyclubs.co.uk/

http://fedastro.org.uk/fas/members/

Taunton seems missing anything.

As said I wondered about the Eastern side of Devon and although Tiverton has one (apparently) the train manages to not go there. Thinking hop on train, get to club, hop back on train.

• 3 months later...

HI Jason

There is a small group who meet in Taunton, the" South Somerset Astronomical Society". We meet at Queens College, nornally the 2nd Tuesday of the month from Sept through to May. 

Is this of help?

T0ucan

Archived