Binoviewers - worth the investment?

Hi all,

I'm considering investing in a pair of binoviewers as I really like the idea of being able to look with both eyes at my favourite views. I know it mightn't be cheap as I'll have to double up on some of my most regularly used eyepieces but do any of you guys use them? If so, is there a massive improvement in viewing? If I do go down this road, any ones to avoid/ go for?

Many thanks

Andrew

I've used binoviewers a bit, for me they are worth the price alone for lunar observing. I like to take my time observing the moon and I find a binoviewer fatigues the eye less (maybe I just need to do some eye push-ups) and I feel I can see a little bit more detail generally with two eyes than with one. It also gives a more 3D feel. I find it makes for a very relaxed session :laugh:

For faint deep sky objects, I have not tried much, I guess you are splitting faint light between two eyes, so perhaps binos are not best for that, but maybe others feel differently.

I also have observed the Sun in white light with the binoviewer, absolutely incredible detail and with the 3D view I almost felt like I could fall into the big sunspot. :eek::grin: I'll never forget that first view!

One thing to be careful with is that the binoviewer lengthens the light path and with some telescopes, you may struggle to get focus. Barlows/glass path correctors (GPC) can possibly help out there.

I like to use the binoviewer on my SCT the most. With its huge range of focuser travel it has no problem with the long light path and no Barlow/GPC is needed. I can of course still use the GPC or a Barlow with the same eyepieces (I mainly use 20mm Tele Vue Plossls, which I love in the binoviewer) for more magnification :smiley:

I went for the Baader Maxbright, mainly as I was too slow to grab a William Optics one in FLO's clearance. so I consoled myself with the Baader and various attachments and glass path correctors. The Baader does have a plus in that there are all kinds of connectors in the Baader range you can use that can come in handy. For example, I can shorten the light path to my Baader Herschel Wedge to help get focus for white light solar viewing. I believe you can collimate the Baader bino if needed. Also, pictures may look like it does not have compression rings, which nearly put me off buying it (I like to keep the eyepieces in good nick if possible), but in fact it does come with compression rings. Although you can instead use screws also supplied if you prefer those instead of a compression ring to dig into an eyepiece's undercut.

Hope the thoughts help, sorry if I waffled on a bit.

Not at all Luke, some really helpful advice there, thanks a lot! I'll be using them ( assuming I go for them ) on a CPC925 so sounds like focusing should be ok? I often wondered how I could spend a lottery win before I got my scope. I think I might need a couple of wins now :-)

Archived