Viewing Mars

I've not had too many opportunities to stargaze because of the weather. That being said I've just finished observing Saturn, which was the last in the list of brighter planets to view, and it was great! Not seen it since I was a kid. The only planet I've not really managed to get a good view of is Mars. I don't really expect that much but it's just a white disk, not even any colour to it really. Would of thought I'd be able to see a little more considering the views I had of Saturn on the same night. Is there anything I could be doing wrong or is it easier to make out detail on Saturn than on Mars?

(Skywatcher Explorer 130p EQ2,  Skywatcher Barlow x2, 25mm, 10mm, 6.3mm Plossi)

I think it depends on the seeing and maybe the position of Mars relative to us. It's not very big but I've seen it using a C130M not disimilar to your SW130P and I was able to make out a pinky red colouration.

I've herd that it's another couple of years before it is at its closest again for better viewing. It's no Jupiter in seeing detail due to scale from size and distance, so I'm not expecting too much.

However it appears coloured in the sky and quite visible at night around midnight with the bins.

8th April it is at Opposition....As per Cotterless post. Have a look in the 'Calendar' feature of the forum  (on the main menu bar near the classifieds and blogs) for other events and details on viewing them.

Good luck.

I always see Mars as an orange disk with the ice cap and sometimes vague dark patches visible on the surface. As Langy says, it can be a bit disappointing after Jupiter and Saturn, but I think the ice cap alone is well worth the trouble. Through my refractor it can appear almost to sparkle - so much better than in photographs. Part of the trouble with Mars is it's very eccentric orbit, which means that it's apparent size can vary a lot even at opposition, so that while the maximum diameter at the especially good August 2003 opposition was 25 seconds, this April's one will only reach 15 seconds. I'm sure someone here will know when we can next look forward to a close Mars.

Just in from super viewing from our very light polluted edge of town . The sky was really lit up in the south. Mars was good at x200, showing the ice cap and a great expanse of central dark features with some to the edge.

We were comparing the C6r to the 10" Lightbridge. The latter gave clearer views and plenty time to focus across the fov. A 23A red filter pulled out a lot of detail. LeeB cleared off , very happy !

Old Nick.

Archived