Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Pier to concrete base fixing question

mal-j

Hi all,

I'm looking for advice for the best way to fix my pier anchor baseplate to the concrete base.

I have a cubic metre concrete base for the pier which is a pier-tech type and the anchor plate has '3' 16mm holes in. I've considered the bolts that expand in the concrete and the option of using screws with resin. I'm not sure which is best and also I can't find very long ones as I would have thought it would need them. What length would I need them and where could I get them?

Any advice welcome please.

Malcolm

if your concrete is already in place then the epoxy resin anchoring kits are the way to go.  The trouble with expanding bolts is that they can cause the concrete to crack or split - it only takes a tiny crack for water (and therefore ice) to get in and cause more problems.

I found a reasonably priced pack in B&Q - had the resin, 4 stud & bolts, plastic inserts, concrete drills - everything except the plunger doodah (which if you've used sealants cartridges before you may already have). Though I can't see it on their website it was R-Kem resin in a simple plastic bag near to the rawlplugs etc. It was about 10 months ago so no idea if they still stock them.

Yup, another vote for resin. Though the stuff I use is this:

47918.jpg

Polyester resin [ link ]

Just make sure you get it right the first time, 'cos there's no adjusting it, or removing it once it's set - which is only a few minutes.

So far as length goes, there's nothing to be gained from going deeper than is necessary to tension the bolts once the resin has set. That would be about 10cm, tops.

Definitely resin. I have fixed down huge top heavy wrapping machines with it & studding with no problem. Just make sure you follow the instructions to the letter & always dump the first bit out of the tube as it does not always mix very well to start with.

Archived