SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

PHD2

malc-c

I downloaded PHD2 some time back, but never used it as I stayed with the tried and tested PHD.  But recently, PHD seems to be complaining and taking an age to get running.  So for the past two or three sessions have been using PHD2.  Well tonight has been amazing so far.  PHD2 took around 17 steps to calibrate and then begin tracking, and I've never had such a tight clustering and flat graph.

Guide scope - ST80

Camera QHY5

Mount HEQ5 pro (using EQMOD with EQdirect cable)

200P Explorer

Needless to say, stars and nice, sharp and round

post-10726-0-84090100-1393711667_thumb.p

Interesting Malc, I seem to get the opposite to you in that PHD guides great but PHD2 starts wandering all over the place even with the same settings??.

I also notice that say a 1 second shot with PHD gives a reasonable image but PHD2 seems to need 8 secs or longer to give the same sort of image?? not sure if one is doing some stretching which the other isn`t

Steve

Steve,

Yes I do notice that for the same exposure in PHD,  and PHD2 the amount of data is less on the PHD screen, but I think this is where PHD2 works better in that the pixel size in PHD2 becomes very tight  and thus the movement is picked up better - could be wrong and talking BS but  as I moved the slider the peak in the histogram becomes a lot more pronounced.

The image format in the settings has been set to LowQ jpeg, changing this to one of the other options may give you better exposure times ?

Here are my scope settings for PHD2

post-10726-0-58612100-1393717557_thumb.p

Hi

I just downloaded it too. Will give it a go tonight if there are any clear spells - patchy clouds forecast. It seems to boost the QHY5L-II output on the screen but I can't see any stars yet - just white clouds :(.

It looks quite good though and I like the multi-threading.

Louise

I always get a graph like that with original PHD.

It only goes haywire when I decide to check a sub in the imaging camera, it takes just a couple secs to settle again.

Have'nt tried 2 yet......might do if I have any problem.

Archived