Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Greetings from Scarborough :)

Andy_K

Hi,

I've just signed up today after lurking for a while.

I'm just getting into astrophotography and am always looking for hints & tips.

I'm doing it on a budget but am thinking more and more about getting myself a motorised mount!

My next project though is to convert a Microsoft VX-5000 webcam so I can attach it to my 'scope. (if anyone has done this, then I would be grateful for some guidance)

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello Andy, welcome to SGL  :smiley:

Take a look at the Getting Started with Imaging forum for plenty of good advice. The standard (and fully justified) recommendation for someone interested in DSO astro-photography is to buy Steve Richards' book 'Making Every Photon Count':

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/books/making-every-photon-count-steve-richards.html

Although, as you mention a webcam, are you more interested in imaging the moon and planets?

Hi and welcome to SGL from another imager! Good advise about getting Steve's book, especially if you are looking at DSO imaging.

Have a look in the imaging section and you'll get a feel for the sorts of kit people are using as they generally list it in the thread or in their sig.

Look forward to seeing you around :smiley:

Hello Andy, welcome to SGL  :smiley:

Take a look at the Getting Started with Imaging forum for plenty of good advice. The standard (and fully justified) recommendation for someone interested in DSO astro-photography is to buy Steve Richards' book 'Making Every Photon Count':

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/books/making-every-photon-count-steve-richards.html

Although, as you mention a webcam, are you more interested in imaging the moon and planets?

At the moment, just the moon and planets as neither of my scopes are stable enough for DSO's.

Hopefully when funds permit I'll treat myself to something a little more solid :)

I've created a gallery on here and have added a few of my pics - really to show what can be taken with minimal kit :)

Archived