Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

Uranium235

Finally, a colour image! (130pds)

Very nice, you are certainly making the 130 work for a living!

Yes I've got everything crossed for good weather! I need to find a counterweight extension, though (heavy filter wheel), but no luck so far...

I think I'm on a (hopefully flood-free) pitch just the other side of the fence to you this year.

Can you find a weight to add to the one you already have? Something about 1 or 2kg might do it... had an idea, maybe a G-clamp or two (depending on the size). you can just clamp one of those to the counterweight (or use it clamp something else to it).

fantastic! also looking forward to seeing the RGB on M106 and buddies :)

Can you find a weight to add to the one you already have? Something about 1 or 2kg might do it... had an idea, maybe a G-clamp or two (depending on the size). you can just clamp one of those to the counterweight (or use it clamp something else to it).

Yeah, I was hoping to avoid adding further weight to my poor old mount but looks like I'll have to. Was considering picking up these: http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/1459674.htm

Yeah, I was hoping to avoid adding further weight to my poor old mount but looks like I'll have to. Was considering picking up these: http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/1459674.htm

Is there anything you can strip from the 150pds? Do you ever leave the finderscope in place when imaging? Removing that can save weight, im just thinking an extra 1.25kg just to balance out a filter wheel might be too much. Have a rummage in your man-drawer/cupboard/cave (if you have one), there is usually something there that might do the trick :)

fantastic! also looking forward to seeing the RGB on M106 and buddies :)

That one might have to be re-started because im about to change my filter setup, Ive got a 2" CCD CLS filter incoming! :) That will go in front of the coma corrector, and the now spare 1.25" slot in the FW will now carry the Baader UV/IR filter - that should ensure everything is now parfocal. So I may have a 1.25" CCD CLS filter up for grabs soon.

Rob, don't you find that the drawtube of the focuser of the 130pds gets a lot into the light path and produces a serious gradient? (I got myself a 130pds to play with

and this is one of the issues I find most annoying so far...),

cheers

E.

Rob, don't you find that the drawtube of the focuser of the 130pds gets a lot into the light path and produces a serious gradient? (I got myself a 130pds to play with

cheers

E.

Depends on what corrector you are using. If its the SWCC then yes, the drawtube will intrude into the light path.

The MPCC MkIII requires that the drawtube be racked out at least twice as far as the Skywatcher corrector, and therefore its not such an issue. Also, ive painted the outside and inside of my drawtube with blackboard paint to keep reflections to a minimum. No need to remove the secondary either, I just put a clean plastic bag over it and applied the paint to the drawtube with a sponge tipped brush (the kind you get in a kids paint set).

Depends on what corrector you are using. If its the SWCC then yes, the drawtube will intrude into the light path.

The MPCC MkIII requires that the drawtube be racked out at least twice as far as the Skywatcher corrector, and therefore its not such an issue. Also, ive painted the outside and inside of my drawtube with blackboard paint to keep reflections to a minimum. No need to remove the secondary either, I just put a clean plastic bag over it and applied the paint to the drawtube with a sponge tipped brush (the kind you get in a kids paint set).

I use the MPCC III and still goes quite bit further into the light path. Do you mind if I send you a PM with my subs so you can tell me what you think? Thanks!

E.

Edited by Epicycle

Epicycle, on 06 Mar 2014 - 7:53 PM, said:

I use the MPCC III and still goes quite bit further into the light path. Do you mind if I send you a PM with my subs so you can tell me what you think? Thanks!

E.

Sure, go ahead! I'll take a look and see if ive encountered it before. Detail what camera and filters you are using too.

When the drawtube intrudes into the light path, Ive found that the only side effect is a sort of "cutout" in the halos around very bright stars.

Edit: Oh, I also forgot - you have to make a cover for the bottom of the 130. Because if your location has some ambient light, it will leak in through the bottom and cause either a gradient or odd bright patches in your images (same goes for the filter wheel too, make it light-tight).

Edited by Uranium235

Sure, go ahead! I'll take a look and see if ive encountered it before. Detail what camera and filters you are using too.

When the drawtube intrudes into the light path, Ive found that the only side effect is a sort of "cutout" in the halos around very bright stars.

Edit: Oh, I also forgot - you have to make a cover for the bottom of the 130. Because if your location has some ambient light, it will leak in through the bottom and cause either a gradient or odd bright patches in your images (same goes for the filter wheel too, make it light-tight).

Thanks Rob, just sent you the PM,

E.

Is there anything you can strip from the 150pds? Do you ever leave the finderscope in place when imaging? Removing that can save weight, im just thinking an extra 1.25kg just to balance out a filter wheel might be too much. Have a rummage in your man-drawer/cupboard/cave (if you have one), there is usually something there that might do the trick :)

Finderscope has been replaced with the mini guidescope. Hmm, a G-clamp on its own might be enough actually...

cheers

E.

It is annoying certainly, but shouldn't create a gradient being that far away from the focal plane. As Rob says, it takes a little nibble out of your brighter stars.

Excellent work Rob, I like both but the 2nd version gives a real 3D effect to it.

I am a bit puzzled though as you mentioned in your first post that you are using a CLS filter, seems like on just one filter.  Where about's are you using this?

I was told by a well known Astro trader that there was no need to use a CLS filter on a mono camera, so if you are right and he's wrong, then I've been doing it wrong for a long time.  

Could we clear up this issue, as if my astro trader is right, then you don't need to use one.

BTW I have the same camera as you.

Thanks

Carole 

Edited by carastro

Carole, I will pm you with my current setup details in a bit. The ccd cls is my L filter, and because its a different thickess to the baader filters, it isnt parfocal when doing LRGB.

Ah, CLS filter instead of a luminance filter - makes a bit more sense.  I think your parfocal problem will go away when you purchase a luminance filter that is also parfocal with the other filters.

Carole

Surely L filters don't have light pollution filtering? So it's a good idea to use an LP filter, regardless of whether your sensor is mono or colour?

Surely L filters don't have light pollution filtering? So it's a good idea to use an LP filter, regardless of whether your sensor is mono or colour?

This is what i was referring to when I said a well known Astro trader told me I didn't need to use a LP filters.  I am using Baader LRGB and NB filters bought from this trader.

Carole 

Edited by carastro

Sounds like you've been misled to me :(

I intend to leave my 2" LP filter permanently attached to the end of my corrector, so LP will be filtered out for all 4 LRGB filters. The L is still necessary in my case because the Skywatcher LP filter does not block UV+IR.

Yep, thats where the 2" CCD CLS will be going - on the MPCC. Then everything behind that will be parfocal, its a newt - so I may as well take advantage of its naturally correct colour.

First rate Rosette Rob.

I really like the colour scheme.

I must check the scope out!

Cheers Rob! :)

It will be at SGL9, so youre welcome to pop over for a gander anytime - see you there!

Can't make it I'm afraid Rob.....work gets in the way again :-)

Can't make it I'm afraid Rob.....work gets in the way again :-)

:(

Shame, I was looking forward to seeing your recently fixed RC in action. Maybe next year ;)