SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Finally, a colour image! (130pds)

Uranium235

Cor blimey, a good session that was last night! It went a bit misty about 10.30 for a while, but it cleared up nicely after about an hour.

I've added a few more subs to the Ha data I got the other night, and took it up to 1h 40m in Ha - then switched to OIII for another couple of hours. This would be the biggest test of the 130pds becuase challenge is to get the field exactly the same in both filters - which turned out to be pretty easy being as the Baader Ha and OIII are parfocal. Really, what I want is all of the filters to be parfocal - but the CCD CLS filter puts a spanner in that as its the only one where I have to refocus (which in turn disrupts the flatness). A motorised FW would be handy too, so I dont have to keep stopping/starting PHD every time I want to change a filter.

I will include the Ha version too, but ive not pushed the processing too far becuase noise is starting to creep in at the edges. Bit of a pain to get rid of the hot pixels at first because sigma clipping doesnt really work that well with just 8 subs (and it introduces noise into the dim areas).

Rosette Nebula (again!)

4x900 + 4x600 (Ha), 4x900 + 6x600 (O3)    Ha/OIII/OIII

130pds, Atik 383L+, NEQ6

Setpoint: -30c

Thanks for looking!

Rob

HOO Colour:

12852172603_0fd8ec1cb1_b.jpg

Ha only:

12842274885_04e9f856d1_b.jpg

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks Pat, I think once I reach about 16 subs per channel I will process it again. I'd like to try retaking some flats too as the corners seem to be "overcorrected" (used to be dark, now too light).

Meanwhile, Ive been having a play with the colour scheme - and have come up with this:

12852852235_b521e53e60_b.jpg

Excellent, stars look really good. Have you tried any RGB with 130pds so far?

Yep, I started that last night on M106 & buddies.

Ive got a good lum channel, but the Red and Blue are a bit ropey (it was 3am and I was getting tired!) - So I will re-shoot those next time out. Hopefully once I apply flats to the Lum data, the background should be nice and black - and not turn up the awful internal reflection the other correctors had.

swag72, on 01 Mar 2014 - 12:22 PM, said:swag72, on 01 Mar 2014 - 12:22 PM, said:swag72, on 01 Mar 2014 - 12:22 PM, said:

I like that final colour scheme Rob - Very nice indeed :smiley:

Just trying to follow in your footsteps Sara ;)

Im struggling to get the same amount of Blue that you do, is it just a case of getting tons of OIII for this? Im not quite sure how you get your colour scheme. Ive approached it in the same way as HST and push the blue and green channels loads until they match the red - then run the synth green action. Not sure if thats the right way though.... just experimenting :)

Thanks Pat, I think once I reach about 16 subs per channel I will process it again. I'd like to try retaking some flats too as the corners seem to be "overcorrected" (used to be dark, now too light).

Meanwhile, Ive been having a play with the colour scheme - and have come up with this:

12852852235_b521e53e60_b.jpg

They are all good but I prefer this one - very nice!

Thanks guys :)

Ive just popped out the back and its clear.... but it all looks a bit twinkly and there is that unmistakeable red haze on the horizon. Think I will give it a miss tonight as adding any subs under this sky will only damage the image. When I get the chance I'd like to get a load more OIII so I dont have to push it so much when processing (plays havoc with the star colour).

Thanks guys :)

Ive just popped out the back and its clear.... but it all looks a bit twinkly and there is that unmistakeable red haze on the horizon. Think I will give it a miss tonight as adding any subs under this sky will only damage the image. When I get the chance I'd like to get a load more OIII so I dont have to push it so much when processing (plays havoc with the star colour).

We can exchange skies if you'd like? :rolleyes:

After more than Three months of cloud cover I'd take your clear sky at a heart beat!

Thanks Lewis, the second process was done by quite literally throttling the OIII to within an inch of its life! Would you believe the scope was out of collimation when I did this? I checked it last night and it was a little off, so im surprised it turned out a well as it did.

Did you get your pitch sorted for SGL9? Hope you manage to get some images while we are there, if you need anything (spacers, tools etc) just pop over and I'll have a dip into the (ever deepening) bits box. Im bringing a pair of rubber gloves too, just in case anyone comes down with the dreaded cold-welding syndrome.

Thanks Lewis, the second process was done by quite literally throttling the OIII to within an inch of its life! Would you believe the scope was out of collimation when I did this? I checked it last night and it was a little off, so im surprised it turned out a well as it did.

Did you get your pitch sorted for SGL9? Hope you manage to get some images while we are there, if you need anything (spacers, tools etc) just pop over and I'll have a dip into the (ever deepening) bits box. Im bringing a pair of rubber gloves too, just in case anyone comes down with the dreaded cold-welding syndrome.

Yes I've got everything crossed for good weather! I need to find a counterweight extension, though (heavy filter wheel), but no luck so far...

I think I'm on a (hopefully flood-free) pitch just the other side of the fence to you this year.

Archived