Best widefield for a skyliner 200p dob.....

Solar_observer

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's good to come to a decision , it's easy to get paralysis by analysis as they say. I've been guilty of this many a time.

Look forward to hearing how you get on with it.

( assuming you haven't changed your mind by then ) :-)

FYI, the Nirvana has a twist up solid eyecup and the ES has a soft rubber eyecup similar to the Nagler. Personal preference. I tried the Nirvana through a friend's scope and didn't like the design. I bought the ES 30 mm 82 deg..........then the ES 20 mm 100 deg........then the ES 14 mm 100 deg. I got the first 2 from the US and the 14 mm from Germany. Seriously good quality for the money. The 30 mm 82 deg is easier to use than the 20 mm 100 deg.

I've made a decision. I've read probably everything on this particular eyepiece to the point,I have a headache now and I need to stop. I will be purchasing the 28mm nirvana,by the end of the month.

Clear skies to you all :-)

Just take some time to decide,the eyepieces are made everyday-no rush.In the meantime maybe you can find an obs group and try some models out?I like scoping deals out....got 10 bucks off the ortho just ordered :grin:

FYI, the Nirvana has a twist up solid eyecup and the ES has a soft rubber eyecup similar to the Nagler. Personal preference. I tried the Nirvana through a friend's scope and didn't like the design. I bought the ES 30 mm 82 deg..........then the ES 20 mm 100 deg........then the ES 14 mm 100 deg. I got the first 2 from the US and the 14 mm from Germany. Seriously good quality for the money. The 30 mm 82 deg is easier to use than the 20 mm 100 deg.

How do you like the 30mm 82 ES vs the 20mm 100 ES?My Ethos EP's have more critical eyeplacement than my other EP's-but the views are stunning,I understand the 20mm ES delivers the same performance as my 21mm Ethos @ $299.00 USD

Rory I could change my mind, but it's still the nirvana which is the front runner. As regards the solid twist up eyecup,I had the sw 32mm panaview in the past and that is similar and I got on with that. I don't have a preference on design,I can adapt to any ep, the most important issue is the view. Still I've got 3 weeks yet before I press the buy button, so any other opinions are most welcome :-)

The only thing I would say about the 28mm Nirvana (which I think I said in my review) is that the twist up eye cup is, because of the size of the eyepiece, really huge. It seems almost a "face cup" at times !. I found I needed to tilt my head to one side so that my nose did not get in the way of moving my eye to the correct position. I probably have a larger nose than average and I'm sure it's a technique that would be quickly mastered but it's worth mentioning all the same I feel.

Otherwise the 28mm Nirvana is an excellent and really impressive eyepiece  :smiley:

Thanks John for that info. No offense to your nose but I have a fairly small snout,so I don't think I will find it a problem adapting. :-)

No offense taken  :grin:

Hope you enjoy the big Nirvana !

How do you like the 30mm 82 ES vs the 20mm 100 ES?My Ethos EP's have more critical eyeplacement than my other EP's-but the views are stunning,I understand the 20mm ES delivers the same performance as my 21mm Ethos @ $299.00 USD

The quality is equal, but as you mentioned, eye placement is more critical with the 100 deg designs. The 30 mm 82 deg has better eye relief and is simply more relaxing to use. The 20 mm 100 deg has less eye relief but has that emersive feel to it. John has described the experience as looking at an endless pool of stars. I intend to keep both as they give me different views.

Just thinking is it possible to attach the nirvana too my heritage? :-)

No unfortunately , it only takes 1,25 inch eyepieces and the focuser is moulded on so cannot be changed. The weight of such an eyepiece is too heavy for it anyway with the focuser design it has.  200 - 300 grams I'd say is probably best maximum i'd say, though I've put my pentax XL in it which weighs just under 400 grams, but you will get some flex on the focuser support structure,  and therefore tilts errors start happening on the eyepiece. Balance wise for the mount it seem happy with 400g  though, the flextubes on it are very solid.

Do you think I will really need a counterweight,if I tighten the adjusters either side will that not be enough? Otherwise I don't have anything to hand to use,any suggestions?

That might work when you are viewing objects relatively high up but think you might find that the nose of the scope dropping despite the tensioners when viewing lower targets. 

Archived