SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

IC417 in false colour *colour alert!!!!*

swag72

I have been working on IC417 with the C9.25 as a final nebula image before I have a go at some galaxies. The mono version came out OK and so I decided that I wanted a colour image. Looking around the net it became apparent that there was next to no OII in the area, but some SII. SO I decided to capture the SII and make a false colour image. I hesitate to call it anything other than false colour now, as then I can make it what I want :grin:

What I did find with this mix, as opposed to the Ha OIII mix was that there was next to no star colour, so I'm afraid that they are white! I welcome all thoughts and comments, good and bad - Its the only way for improvements!!

Details

M: Avalon LInear Fast reverse

T: Celestron C9.25 0.63x reducer

C: Atik 460EXM with 3nm Ha and SII filters

Ha - 32x1800s 2xbin

SII - 31x1800s 2xbin

post-5681-0-30070400-1393588830_thumb.jp

A larger version is available here http://swagastro.weebly.com/uploads/2/3/3/7/23377322/ic417_final_2.jpg

OK, the colour is striking but the point of colour mapping is to show the distribution of gasses in an object and does this image do that, or what? It's quite remarkable and deeply impressive. The way Sara is bringing out structures in NB imaging is astonishing and deserves the highest praise. It's a knockout - for the best possible reasons.

Olly

Thanks all for your comments - The joys of false colour - I could make it whatever colour I like :grin: I was surprised at the level of dust in this one around IC417. This is my last nebula on the C9.25, it's onto galaxies now and a whole different way of processing!!

@Alistair - No darks, in fact if you don't tell anyone................. There's no calibration frames with these at all!!! As I don't have an EL panel big enough for the SCT, I'm doing absolutely nothing!!

This Sara palette certainly seems to give a bold, explosive and 3D look. Hubble is quite calm in comparison. It shows bits of our Galaxy at it's very best. Plenty of Atoms were hurt in the making of this image ! :)

I'm almost disappointed to know you're moving away from emission nebulae for a while. I hope Planetaries follow after a few Galaxies.

Keep pushing and experimenting,

Dave.

PS. Fancy admitting you haven't calibrated your subs !!

Archived