Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Rosette in two subs (130pds/Baader MkIII)

Uranium235

I love it when a plan comes together.

Unexpected clear sky has allowed me to test my homebrew version of the M54 focuser adapter which now allows me to internally house the MkIII Baader corrector. Previously, the TS M54 adapter was too low profile so the corrector was housed too far inside the tube - meaning focus could not be reached. Not a problem with this adapter (many thanks to Dave Smith for the bits), its also a million times more secure than the TS adapter - which had ludicrously short threads. I did point the scope at M42 first to test the parfocallity of the Baader corrector and narrowband filters - and am pleased to report that they are indeed parfocal (first time ive ever had perfect colour correction). Ive yet to process that one (needs new flats).

So, to the Rosette - Not a dash for fine detail, but a quest for round stars and a flat field. The vignetting is much reduced at f5, and I seem to have got a lot for next to nowt in the way of subs. One can only imagine what 10x1200 would look like on this, but it might be worth me checking the primary first, just so I can be sure im wringing every last photon out of it.

Rosette nebula

1x1200 + 1x900 (Ha) 2x2bin

130pds, Atik 383L+, NEQ6

Setpoint: -30

No calibration

No cropping

Limited processing due to low sub count

Thanks for looking! :)

Rob

post-5513-0-11308200-1393542297.jpg

post-5513-0-11308200-1393542297_thumb.jp

swag72, on 28 Feb 2014 - 07:53 AM, said:

Very nice indeed. Your images with that scope really are a testament to your hard work and perseverance. You should mass produce them already modded and ready to do :grin:

That thought has already passed through my mind!! :D

I have enough bits left to do one more mod (may reserve it for a larger newt), but the key to it all is a large 60mm diameter locking ring - which happens to be exactly the same diameter as the face of the stock M54 focuser adaptor. Shame I dont have an infinite supply of bits, I might ask Dave what brand of FW these rings came from.

Ive taken a closer look at this pic, and in the top right there is a star that looks like coma.... but it isnt. Damn you double stars!!!! A resolution of 3.4" while binned probably isnt helping with splitting doubles, but ive just seen the forecast for tonight so perhaps another chance to turn the 130pds up to 11.

Archived