Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

BBC Reporting Aurora seen in Norfolk, Wales, Essex

Knight of Clear Skies

This may seem like a daft question, but how long is this expected to last? I'm able to get to a dark sky site tonight although this would be in Wales. Is it worth me expecting anything?

James

Usually very short lived events this far south, couple of hours at most. It pays to keep an eye on the north horizon though as it is not always predictable how far south some of these displays will come.

The residual 'sky glow' might trouble the imagers for a couple of days though (another good reason not to live too far north!)

Gutted!

I was out for a couple of hours last night under very clear skies.

Unfortunately my feet were so cold, I threw in the towel and came back indoors at 21.05.

Does anyone know what time roughly it started/ finished?

D.C

Reading the reports in the other thread, it seems it was at its peak between 9:00 and 10:00. I was too late myself, I've been trying to find out if it was visible from Hertfordshire at all without success.

Typical!

I may have just missed it by minutes!

D.C

Reading the reports in the other thread, it seems it was at its peak between 9:00 and 10:00. I was too late myself, I've been trying to find out if it was visible from Hertfordshire at all without success.

I was also out at that time, reasonable skies with a bit of horizon mist but also no aurora :(

I was at an observing session near Preston, Lancs and there was no word going round about the aurora then. I only heard when I was on the way home to Blackpool via the radio. I pulled off the motorway to a rural spot and was treated to a very nice show.

I did have to be patient because it was not immediately obvious at first. As I waited the aurora became stronger and I could easily see the curtains rising up into the sky. It was amazing, and a complete stroke of luck that I saw it.

I think stroke of luck is definitely the correct term, starman.   :)

I was chatting to a pal this morning and he said that the Aurora was spectacular - it was just fuzzy green for a while that suddenly exploded into filaments....

Didn't see it either - I was sleeping off a very busy day. Really want to have an Aurora alarm - the sort that can wake you up....

Was reported in a small village about 10 miles south of me but all I got was bright orange skies as well. Unfortunately I couldn't de-camp to a less LP area as wife was at work and kids were in bed. Though I did consider waking them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think stroke of luck is definitely the correct term, starman.   :)

Really want to have an Aurora alarm - the sort that can wake you up....

You need to subscribe to the e-mail alert service here:

http://aurorawatch.lancs.ac.uk/alerts

I had notice that something was going on- at the time I was in the town centre so saw nothing!

Was reported in a small village about 10 miles south of me but all I got was bright orange skies as well. Unfortunately I couldn't de-camp to a less LP area as wife was at work and kids were in bed. Though I did consider waking them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's a shame - if you were more prepared, I wonder what it would look like from the top of the Mourne Mountains? (Got some old pals who live out that way...)

Archived