Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Exoplanet discoveries

floppygoose

Also on the BBC News website:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-26362433

Doubtless it will also be covered in the Daily Mail, where they'll be most concerned about how all this additional real estate is going to pull the rug out from under house prices :D

Amazing news though.  It seems that in twenty years we've gone from not even knowing if there might be another habitable planet anywhere to having hundreds of planets to investigate.

James

I've got a little app on my iphone that notifies me of new exoplanet discoveries (app is called 'Exoplanet' if anyone's interested) - when I got the notify icon up earlier with that count I thought the app had gone haywire and somehow reset itself!

Excellent work from NASA though, most impressed :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've got a little app on my iphone that notifies me of new exoplanet discoveries (app is called 'Exoplanet' if anyone's interested) - when I got the notify icon up earlier with that count I thought the app had gone haywire and somehow reset itself!

Yeah I got that app on my ipad and I did the same double take as you! It is a very good app.

Yes incredible stuff. 1700 planets and i suspect all those from just surveying a few thousand stars thus far. Surely those who doubt the prescence of life elsewhere must at least consider that standpoint a little shaky?

Well at least it didnt notify you once for each of the 795 new planets ;)

Exciting news :laugh: The planets in our solar system alone are amazing. Jupiter's great red spot, the rings of Saturn, the beauty of Earth and its moon, and of course, life on Earth... And to think how many other interesting planets must out there... Amazing! We live in exciting times. :smiley:

It's just excruciating we can't see them though isn't it! Do any of you ever fly off in your imagination at night to see them? I've done that since I was a kid, I'm now 44 and still do it when I have trouble sleeping.

I am intrigued wondering what they may look like. I guess a number of them will have rings? Wonder how long it will be until we see the first exoplanet in reasonable resolution. Could it happen within 20 or 30 years? Or are we an incredibly long way off that?

Archived