Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Skywatcher Heritage 130P or somthing just a little bit pricier?

I'm definitely going to do it, it's just a case of finding a second hand HEQ5 Pro mount first. I'm happy to buy the rest new (apart from maybe the DSLR). I'm actually looking at a very similar setup to you - 150PDS, HEQ5 Pro, Canon 1100D, Startravel 80 guide scope, and accessories.

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can I assume that when I finally track down an HEQ5 Pro mount, that I would be able to use it without the GOTO to begin with (and therefore not need a portable power pack), so that I could just start out by doing some visual, and moon (and possibly planetary) imaging, using just the dual axis motors, which I believe only need batteries rather than a power pack?

I find it odd that FLO don't sell the 150PDS on an HEQ5 Pro mount. The best they do for the 150PDS is an EQ5 Pro, but for an HEQ5 Pro you have to go 200P or 200PDS. And of course for deep sky imaging pretty much everyone says that for any kind of 200 you really want to be looking at an EQ6 instead, and that one of the 150's is better on an HEQ5. Here's hoping that FLO decide to start selling the 150PDS on an HEQ5 Pro.

Of course I may be saying all this because there are no second hand HEQ5 Pro's coming up on Astro, and I really really want to buy one :tongue:

Bad timing Ian, but you'll get one in time. Job is more important, I still haven't bought one yet, still saving, but I'm favouring at the moment the SW 150P DS Goto & EQ5 mount.

Yeah same here, I couldn't be less clueless once I get my kit, which is why I'll be starting with just visual, then hopefully a bit of moon imaging or somthing basic.

Every Photon Counts does do a step by step, although that's really a step by step for DSO photography. I'm also impressed by Stargazing for Dummies for really basic explanations and step by step instructions on how to get started. Got it from the library and may well buy it.

Also, because I'm looking at flats in Edinburgh and Glasgow just in case I get the job (there are two offices), I've been trying to find flats in houses which have gardens, which reduces the options. There is one 1st floor flat in a house in Edinburgh which would have been a dream (a big open space with low light pollution), I really wish I could have snapped that place up! But got to get the job first!

Yes, definitely visual for about 10 years first :huh:  Hopefully, you will get a Job & a ground floor flat c/w garden.  I Have every Photon Counts & Turn Left at Orion along with numerous other books on astronomy collected over the years.  Just bought Sky & Telescope - Pocket Atlas but if I get a GOTO don't think I will be using it much. Channel 5 tonight had a guy looking at 3 telescopes and one of them was the SW 150P, I think it's repeated on Fridays.

Ian, sadly it was apparently a section in the Gadget show shown at 7pm UK time. (last in series)

Sadly, because it is a program that I automatically don't watch.

Had to do a quick check of C5 lisitngs for yesterday.

Rich

Yes, it was  the gadget show, it was on about 35/40 minutes into the programme.  It only lasted a couple of minutes but it was better than nothing.  They showed 3 telescopes and an app for iPad/mobiles. I've just checked, it is repeated on Friday at 7.00.

I originally posted about it in the  Community Forum here in Astro Lounge, there are a few comments about it there.

Well, I've taken the first (and arguably most important) step. I've bought an HEQ5 Pro mount! I bought it from the classifieds here in the end. So the next step will be a scope I suppose!

I was also so tempted by this setup that came up on the classifieds. It's a full imaging setup, and pretty much exactly what I was planning on getting (apart from a 150P instead of a 150PDS), but Devon is a tad far for me to go!

http://stargazerslounge.com/classifieds/item/3645-complete-imaging-set-up/

I will be very jealous of whoever buys that setup!

It's got to be the scope I think! I think I would be foolish to do anything other than visual to begin with. And I'm sure I could do visual with just an HEQ5 and an OTA. The seller is very kindly throwing in a power supply for the GOTO (which you apparently also need for the HEQ5 tracking motors), so I'm going to have to find a way of making the most of that (most likely a HUGELY long mains extension cable).

Then once I've actually worked out what I'm doing I can start thinking about guide scopes and cameras.

Exciting stuff!

Ah I see what you mean. Theoretically it shouldn't matter too much what I buy whether I get the job and relocate or not, because it would still need a great big van to transport everything else! So I'll wait for mount to arrive, and then most likely buy the 150PDS OTA.

Archived