SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Skywatcher Heritage 130P or somthing just a little bit pricier?

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes the more I think about it the more sense it makes. The Eq5 sounds a lot lighter than the HEQ5, and I don't want to put myself off by having a hugely heavy mount to carry up and down stairs. And I still get to enjoy 8" aperture goodness. And QM says he learned a lot with the EQ5, which gave him a good knowledge base when upgrading. Just got to wait til pay day now :)

Yeah that's a great thread. I'm definitely set on an EQ5. The tricky bit is which OTA to choose. And guiding is the real pain. People talking about how it needs to be Pro etc, and there's no way I can be doing Pro really what with the power requirements. Then there's laptops, also a pain. But its sounds like just using motors wouldn't produce the greatest results either. And then there's Synscan, which can apparently use batteries, and might be a good compromise (but is usually always part of Pro)?

You should see a link to the classifieds at the top of the main page underneath where it says Stargazers Lounge. Also, on the right hand side of the main page you should have the Latest Classifieds above the Recent Topics.

If you are not seeing these I would PM one of the Mods.

Hi, I have been following this thread with interest, as I have thought about getting a 150, still haven't made my mind up yet.  But anyway, have a look at the attached site, there is a good review on the 200, if you haven't already read it.       www.astro-baby.com

Yes I have read that review. Unfortunately it sounds like he had a lot of bad luck with the equipment he received! Although he very much liked it in the end.

I'm still erring towards a 150PDS OTA on a second hand HEQ5 non-GOTO Syntrek (if and when one becomes available), because that's £234 for the OTA, and possibly around £300 for the mount, which I would consider to be a good starting point, because then I would have a smallish, light scope which will still give great views at 150, but will also be easier to track with (using SynTrek) because of the smaller size and lighter weight than the 150P, 200P, and 200PDS OTA's. It's just a case of trying to find a second hand HEQ5 SynTrek.

Yes, I agree from all the reading I have done, like yourself on the 150 the PDS seems to be the model to choose for AP, just the mount as you said to choose.  Keep a close eye on FLO's clearance sale you never know you might just get lucky and pick one up!!  From all accounts you would have to be quick off the mark if you did see one, the products go like hot cakes.

Well, good luck with whatever model you get. I'm following this thread, so you will no doubt keep us all updated.  I won't be getting a scope for a couple of months till nearer my birthday!  By the way, I think Astro Baby is a woman.

Archived