Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Skywatcher Heritage 130P or somthing just a little bit pricier?

The focuser sounds sweet and can't be anything other than a bonus in the pds.

Bet it weighs less also a bonus approx 5 kilo ota.

It is a reflector with a parabolic mirror as far as I know that is going to be good for visuals. Read posts with it on altaz4 which at a later date would give quicker set up compared to eq mount for just quick visual session.

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I decided to try and work out the weights and FLO prices of the various OTA's and mounts that I'm looking at, to see what the weight ratios would be. I'm not convinced that the 150P-DS weighs more than the 150P, but you wouldn't believe how hard it is to find the weights of these things! Also, it shows what I feared about the 200P on the EQ5 - that it's only good for visual, unless you really know what you are doing.

post-35725-0-93049900-1394904604_thumb.j

Good idea

Looking at that the 150pds on the eq5 is not pushing the mount to it's limit and my camera body weighs just 495 grams.

Your two flights of stairs are also a factor in your weights it is as much weight versus how cheesed off it becomes lugging stuff when it is heavier even if you can lift it.

Also a scope is never a scope and mount the little incedentals push the price up.

Have you looked at observing sketches or that web site that let's you plug in details and then see the size they would look so you get an idea on the visual differences between the size 150 or 200.

I had a look on the telescope emulator site. It's not great though, because obviously it doesn't allow for different conditions. I tested Jupiter with the 150P and 200P (same eyepieces etc), and there was a different but not much of one. But I get the idea that you would see more of a different visually. Also, some of the "M" objects like galaxies etc looked like they would be amazing through both the 150P and the 200P, often filling the view, but I just don't believe that could be the case. So I don't trust it really. I'd be interested in seeing sketches though. Do you have links? The ideal would be to go to an event somewhere, but the ones near me are all in dark sky places in the middle of nowhere, so you really need a car to get there!

And yes, I'm well aware that there will be extra costs on top of the scope and mount.There's probably a good couple of hundred for a camera for a start, and I reckon about another hundred on eye pieces, dual axis motors etc. Not to mention a chair to sit on! Although I'm sure a cheap plastic chair with a cushion would do the trick.

I'm sold on the PDS idea, I know that much. And it has to be a better mount too for photography. So really it's the sensible 150PDS on the EQ5 (I say sensible, it's still £500 + accessories), or going all out for the 200PDS on the HEQ5. The only question is would I be more annoyed at wanting to upgrade later if I went for the first option, or more annoyed at clearing out my savings account if going for the second option!

Which is why I'd be more than happy to go second-hand if an HEQ5 was available (I wouldnt go second-hand on a scope, too risky, but I would on a mount), but they are like gold dust. And the other issue with buying second-hand is the transport, which would be a small fortune without a car.

I decided to try and work out the weights and FLO prices of the various OTA's and mounts that I'm looking at, to see what the weight ratios would be. I'm not convinced that the 150P-DS weighs more than the 150P, but you wouldn't believe how hard it is to find the weights of these things! Also, it shows what I feared about the 200P on the EQ5 - that it's only good for visual, unless you really know what you are doing.

Skywatcher is absolutely Notorious when it comes to inconsistency in their specification listings!

I consider the weight of an OTA pretty vital information. Yet, more often than not Skywatcher leaves out this important bit of information in their OTA specifications! :mad:  

The standard HEQ5 is discontinued on FLO, and is £75 cheaper elsewhere:

http://astronomia.co.uk/sky-watcher-heq5-standard-mount.html?gclid=CPeD56_6mL0CFdShtAodOQEAUQ

I'm assuming that that HEQ5 is just as good as the Pro version (I don't want GOTO so wouldn't need Pro), and I'm assuming that they are also a reputable dealer?

The standard HEQ5 is as cheap as £480 in some places, which is £200 cheaper than the Syntrek. But it seems the the basic HEQ5 has inferior motors? I do notice that FLO say the basic (discontinued on their site) one is meant for visual.

From an imaging protective what quality in images are you thinking you won't get with the eq5?

Have you found any reviews to help with your choice?

May need a new thread with a different title to get input from members who might be able to help in the mounts section.

Yes I've created a thread asking for the differences between the basic HEQ5 and the Syntrek.

As for the imaging, it seems clear that the lighter the load, the better the results, because of the extra stability. Which is why I think the 150PDS would be my only choice for the EQ5. So really the HEQ5 would be if getting a 200PDS instead.

Ian

Have you gone to a retailer to look at the scopes/mounts you're interested in? i would definitely recommend it.

Also in your weight calculations have you considered a guide scope and camera?

Very impressive! I will want to do DSO photography though if I can.

I haven't been to a retailer, much as I'd like to. Unfortunately the only shop in my city that comes close has a 150P EQ3-2 on display and that's it. So it would have to be an event that I went too instead, but for many of them you need a car to get to them.

The weights don't include extras like a guide scope, camera, and motors, which I would guess would come to 2kg at most.

And I'll check the classifieds here, never thought of that.

It seems that if I don't want to use a laptop (which I would prefer not to if possible), then I would need to get the PRO version of an EQ mount, because the GOTO apparently helps with imaging:

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/211477-basic-heq5-not-worth-it/

So that would mean a 150P-DS on an EQ5 PRO, or a 200P-DS on an HEQ5 PRO.

Indeed.

They do actually do the PDS OTA's with PRO mounts, no doubt because the PDS and PRO suit each other for photography. They are actually £734 and £1,079:

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/reflectors/skywatcher-explorer-150p-ds-eq-5-pro-goto.html

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/reflectors/skywatcher-explorer-200pds-heq5-pro.html

It almost makes me wonder if it would be cheaper to buy a basic EQ5 or the Syntrek HEQ6, and a cheap laptop as an alternative to the GOTO. The only issue with that is, a laptop would be another thing to set up in addition to the scope, mount, and camera. I really think that a laptop setup would be better suited to someone with some kind of observatory setup.

Archived