Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Skywatcher Heritage 130P or somthing just a little bit pricier?

Well I've finally taken the plunge. Well, plunge number 1 anyway. I've ordered the Skyliner 200P Dob, 2x Barlow, Collimation cap, and camera T ring (for moon shots hopefully). Slightly unconvential route though - I bet no-one's bought an HEQ mount followed by a Dob! I'm still going to buy the ED80 Pro Outfit soon though, so the mount won't be going to waste. And hopefully the Dob will get me excited enough that I can face polar alignment and the like!

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I kinda lost track on this some time ago Ian! lol....but when I had my skyliner I couldn't focus close enough to get any pics from a camera, the only way to do this is to get a low profile focuser, im not sure if this has already been pointed out to you in the many, many pages before this one...but you will get some great views on this scope..enjoy! :grin:

After several months, here is my first scope!

I've managed to align the finderscope. Not too taxing.

I also attempted to collimate the scope, but I'm not convinced it actually needs collimating, because everything seems pretty central. Which is a good thing, mainly because I couldn't work out how to collimate from any of the sets of instructions that I had, which included the instructions with the scope, the instructions that Kat linked to, YouTube videos, and the collimation cap instructions. So at some point I'm going to have to work out how to do it! I'm fairly sure that I know which screws to adjust when it needs collimating, but I'm not too sure on what the various elements are that I'm looking at, which is kind of important because it tells you what you need to adjust.

Anyway, it certainly seems to be time to knock this thread on the head (although I have no doubt I will be starting many more in order to ask a lot of questions)! Thanks for the advice everyone! And let this thread be an example to people thinking about buying a modest starter scope that things can quickly get out of control, like say, going from intending to buy a Heritage 130P to ending up buying an HEQ5 Pro Mount (with ED80 to follow) and a 200P Dobsonian!

post-35725-0-32878300-1413643230_thumb.j

• 1 month later...

Just thought I should bring this thread to a conclusion. So I eventually switched to a 130PDS scope and went all-out for imaging, and I have some images which were taken by me, but processed by others (as I don't have the skills, processing power, or software yet). But I'm very happy with them!

Thanks for the help on this thread everyone. At the very least it might hopefully help people to be aware that considering buying a Heritage 130P for just over a hundred quid can easily turn into spending a grand on a heavy duty mount, scope, and camera!

post-35725-0-36487100-1418761053_thumb.p

post-35725-0-39167300-1418761132_thumb.j

post-35725-0-85344400-1418761198_thumb.j

Archived