Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

The Flame & Orion

Fozzie

Just thought I'd ask other peoples experiences here.

I spent a good long time looking at the Orion Nebular last night, with the focuser upgrade and the ES82 11mm I really hit a sweet spot, a jaw dropping one at that.. it gave me a bit of confidence to have a look around the other of orion's gems... really wanted to try out the flame... it was odd though..

Now I know that at 8" i'm pushing my luck to see any real detail, but the then where I am the crab and the owl nebs are just small changes in contrast (I mean really small, rub your eyes, blink a bit, check the lenses for dirt small) so I figured give it a go whats the worst that can happen. 

pointed the scope at Alnitak (the lowest, most eastern of the belt stars) and then, well not so much problems but more puzzlement...

Alnitak was surrounded in "haze" a nice blue haze, and before you ask nothing else was, nice crisp stars in other places, but around Alnitak... "haze"  I wasn't expecting to see it, but It kind of washed out all of the contrast around the star..

Tried the UHC filter (and oiii) and the UHC hinted that there was contrast around the area, nothing immediately discernible, but definite contrast and structure 

Now I know the flame is around there, all be it, a way of from the star, "edge of field of view" so the question is.....

Any ideas on what exactly was I viewing?

Everyone I ever ask tells me it can't be seen without a camera. Even big dob owners (20"+) have described it as only only the "the faintest hint" of something present - even using filters. It's very, very faint - like the HH nebula nearby - practically invisible.

So I think you're right to have doubts with an 8" newt - but I could be proven wrong by someone..... you never know. :)

Don't think i'll be proving you wrong... I know I wasn't looking in the right area to even have a chance of the flame, it's just there was definite "aura" around Alnitak which stood out more under the UHC as a contrast change.. I thought it might be focus issues or even high level cloud, but that wasn't present on other stars...

Just considering whether anyone else has ever picked this up around the star.... I'm intrigued, and if it's clear again tonight or tomorrow i'm off back for a second go.. might sketch it..

I can see the Flame neb regularly and it is not as you described,Alnitak's brightness and closeness make it that much harder to see.As far as only visible with a camera this is not true,but the quality of the sky is hugely important.I don't mean to sound rude or discouraging,on the contrary I hope people keep trying and driving to locations that will provide the view :smiley: These objects are amazing,and when you do see the Flame it looks more like what the USA guys call it......

I saw the Flame quite easily with my 10 inch on Friday, including the dark lane and some nice structure.  It is clearly separate from Alnitak however.  I am not sure what you saw but it is well worth going back for another look.  The Flame and M78, which is close by, should both be possible if you can see the Owl nebula. 

I have seen the flame a couple of times before from up on Culver down but no detail to speak of 

and I never see it from the garden.

Like Jerry says the sky transparency is all and just being in a dark spot sometimes will not show it to you.

Mick

I have seen the Flame neb with the 8, 12 & 16" telescopes without a filter.

With the 8", the central dark trunk is seen, with a faint hint of nebulosity. The scope FOV has to be angled away from Alnitak so most of the brightness has gone. Use averted vision and it will appear. Have the expectation that it is faint and let your brain pick it out.

The 16" renders the central dark trunk and some of the dark filaments coming off it, looking more flame like, surrounded by faint nebulosity. All views were unfiltered.

I do think light pollution can affect the success rate, my skies range from 5.5 to 6.0 LM.

Archived