Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

lots of dso,s tonight

faulksy

what a great night i have just had some of it with my 9 year old boy, he said wow quite a few times. every thing i write here is a comparison to my 9.25 sct, which by the way was a great scope.

first of new to me m37 lovely object

m3 which i have seen before but only in my sct, in my dob it was as bright as m13 was in my sct, yet to see m13 properly, only seen it with dob at full moon

blackeye galaxy, you could see the dust lanes and a bright central core, never seen the dust lanes from my garden

nedle galaxy again lovely dust lanes

silver needle galaxy new to me realy did look like a thin long silver/white band

m94, central core as bright as m31 in the dob, havnt seen m31 in current set up to compare

whirlpool galaxy, 2 very bright central cores and the dust lanes coliding very nice

m101 not very bright to be honest but still visible with direct vision

seen a few other dsos but didnt right notes, all dso,s were from a light poluted garden, you could see most things in the garden any way, and no filters were used.

a very enjoyable night, and how can i forget, showed my boy the sn in m82, quite a lot fainter than last viweing around 1 week ago

Great stuff Mike.

My home skies are around LM 5.3 so I don't think I'd have much chance of seeing spiral arms but to be honest I've always written galaxies off from home and only ever once had a quick look at M31 so next time I get the big scope out at home I'II give it a go.

Bet you can't wait to get that scope to some dark skies?! 

Good write up Mike, I also got the opportunity to go out observing with the dob last night, but away from home - clusters and galaxies were great. As you indicate, the super nova has now receded to the margins of visibility. Do you have an OIII filter? If so you will get bright views such as of M97 Owl nebula, M1 etc, I also located the Bubble Nebula, a first for me last night.

Good write up Mike, I also got the opportunity to go out observing with the dob last night, but away from home - clusters and galaxies were great. As you indicate, the super nova has now receded to the margins of visibility. Do you have an OIII filter? If so you will get bright views such as of M97 Owl nebula, M1 etc, I also located the Bubble Nebula, a first for me last night.

hi iain, no oiii filter yet, need to buy a new secondary first, £190 gulp. i cant wait to get to a dark site, i have seen m97 with my sct so it should be great in our scope. i was using my nexus push to last night it is brilliant you can find any object with no problems , its all coming together nicely

Hi Dan, it's scratched basically, bit poo realy

sent from my Sony Xperia

ah bummer i have a few dots in my primary where the coatings have come off but you cant see them unless you shine a torch from behind. i'll probably find out tonight if im working over the weekend, i hope not Friday night aint looking bad

ah bummer i have a few dots in my primary where the coatings have come off but you cant see them unless you shine a torch from behind. i'll probably find out tonight if im working over the weekend, i hope not Friday night aint looking bad

that would be great dan, if were going do you fancy bala, obviously i wont put exact location on here

Archived