SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

possible aurora

astronymonkey

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I saw the aurora from Kirkham in Lancashire. It is the 3rd time I've seen it but this wax easily the best I've ever seen from here.<br />

<br />

The display was up and down, but when it fired up I could easily make out the curtain effect and it rose pretty high in the sky too. It may be years before something like this happens again so far south. So glad I made the effort to go out and see it.<br />

<br />

post-15011-139360672484_thumb.jpg

6a3e2apu.jpg

Was barely visible by eye in East Yorkshire around 9:45, got some decent colours after some hopeful long exposure shots North though. Definitely a green horizon and a few hints of red

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice to see all the pictures. I'm not exactly gutted as I know what a fickle phenomena it is, but I'm still wondering if i missed a very rare opportunity by an hour or so last night. 

Have you had a really good scan through your images? The reason I ask is that I took a 3 second shot in my back garden at half 11 after getting back from the moors nearby, I thought there was nothing in the picture until I stood up to go downstairs and noticed that the polarising effect of viewing the monitor from above had revealed a dim green band! It was about 25 degrees from my location, over the lower half of cassiopeia.

You might have caught something just as obscure! :grin:

Sorry for the double post (don't have edit permission yet!), but with regards to my previous post it appears that the green band I reported at half 11 is in fact not the aurora but an aberration due to the filter on my lens. It seems that it wasn't visible from town despite it being quite vivid from the moors only 30 minutes earlier. Fickle indeed!

6a3e2apu.jpg

Was barely visible by eye in East Yorkshire around 9:45, got some decent colours after some hopeful long exposure shots North though. Definitely a green horizon and a few hints of red

Lovely pic. Nicely framed with the trees.

Out of curiosity were any of these images taken with an astro-modified camera? Would it work well with aurora? Just a passing thought as I was looking at modified cannons then thought about the aurora.

I used a bog standard Nikon D7100 for this. If anything I wish I'd used a longer exposure but with lower ISO. It picked up the red no problem.

post-15011-139366077459_thumb.jpg

Out of curiosity were any of these images taken with an astro-modified camera? Would it work well with aurora? Just a passing thought as I was looking at modified cannons then thought about the aurora.

My image above was with an off the shelf canon 600d with an 18-200 lens at 18. Took a variety of shots of different length exposure and ISO but that image was the one I was most happy with

You folks all have lovely pictures! I grabbed my 60D when heading out but neglected to bring a tripod so my efforts consist of hand-held 3 second exposures at ISO 1600. Only got the red beams in one picture. Oh well, you live and learn!  :grin:

12843210703_4da33442a6_c.jpg

12843340834_3c65d61d82_c.jpg

The horrendous glow coming from the bottom right is Glasgow to our north.  :sad:

Archived