Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

possible aurora

astronymonkey

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, one of the best I have yet witnessed, some severe "flickering" effects going on overhead, and a full band from east to west with the large purple/pink streak to the west. It has died off now but fingers crossed there is more to come.

I saw this just as I was thinking about packing up for the night as the temperature had dropped quite a bit suddenly.  I was just looking to the North and noticed how bright it looked, as if the full moon was about to rise, then I looked to the North West and saw a huge red patch of light hanging in the sky.  This is my first aurora sighting so very pleased to have seen it, sounds like it was a good one too.  Also saw some dull red washing over in the East.

In other news, I chanced upon seeing what I assume must have been the Great Red Spot on Jupiter through my 102 refractor tonight, around 9.20pm.  It seemed to be moving to the left as I looked at it.  Also the double cluster just near Cassiopeia looked stunning, so many tiny points of light.  One of my best nights ever!

BBC reporting that it has been seen in Gloucestershire and S.Wales.

But I saw nothing from N.Somerset !

Good view from time to time of the north horizon, good view of Cassiopeia etc. even, remarkably, Vega ( or was it Deneb) very low in the NE (in the murk above Bristol)

So looks like a near miss for me :(

Still, 1hrKp is 6.3 and 4hrKp of 7.7 soooo,,,,

Nothing visible from Swindon as for 10 minutes ago. Admittedly I only found out from the BBC news post and stuck my head out of the NNW window of the house. Just a few stars trying to make their way through the light pollution. Tried a camera quickly, picked up two faint clouds I couldn't see by eye and that's it. Too close to bed time to venture further out now.

Sky still very clear here but no sign of the aurora now.

Looking here: http://www.swpc.noaa.gov/ovation/  the area of highest probability of a sighting (red) is drifting off to the west over the Atlantic. Earlier on most of the UK was in the green area and the red area over the far north.

I get the impression that's it for tonight - for me at least!

So what can be expected?  I mean towards the NE from the back of my garden was an orangish glow that seemed to rise & fade a little

And usually in that direction there is no LP glow as there is nothing but fields & fields for miles

So, possible viewing?

Looked very fine here in Northumberland about 8.30 with tall streaks, then settled down to a bright glow nearer the horizon which I continued to see through clouds. Brightest I've seen in a long time.

So what can be expected?  I mean towards the NE from the back of my garden was an orangish glow that seemed to rise & fade a little

And usually in that direction there is no LP glow as there is nothing but fields & fields for miles

So, possible viewing?

Sounds very likely to me given that there have been reports from further south than you.

Just got in from 2 and a half hours at my local dark site but not much activity. At 9.45 there was a decent green haze which seemed to be developing some filaments but then it died down to nothing but a dim glow in the far north horizon.

given the kp values I expected more but not this time im afraid. Ill have another look out before I go to bed but an exciting night despite not much happening .

cheers

I am sure I saw it last night here in worcestershire. I was out with my binos at around 21:00 and noticed a wide band of deep reddish glow to the north. I puzzled over it for a bit, then decided it must be a very localised mist reflecting street lights, although I thought it odd that there was no mist about anywhere else and the street lights usually give a yellowish glow. It makes sense now that it was the Aurora, which makes me very happy.

Went out to a dark site 580 feet above sea level (about the highest with good view north) 11pm - 12am but saw nothing though we are only 14 miles up from Brighton. Gorgeous clear sky then about 11:40 clouds start to drift in from the south.

The only bright thing we could see was the sky glow from Gatwick airport.

I managed to observe this at approximately 9.45pm last night (27/2/2014) from Hathersage in the Peak District. I'd been out with my scope observing Jupiter then went over with my wife to put our horses to bed. A definite deep red glow (not manchester light pollution!) NNW, my wife saw it as well as I couldn't quite believe my eyes at first. It didn't last long though and faded away quite quickly. Drove over to Mam Tor and stayed for a while but nothing showed by 11pm do went home.

Congratulations to everyone who managed to get a look.

Does anyone know if it was visible from Hertfordshire please? Reading people's posts it sounds like I was too late even if there was anything to see in my location. I didn't catch any of the build up and only saw the BBC report at about 10:15. Took me a while to get to my dark-ish skies site due to a road closure. Seeing was pretty good towards the zenith, but I saw nothing and 30 second exposures on my camera showed nothing either. If there had been anything to see I have no idea if it would have shown up against the moderate light pollution there.

My expectations weren't high, but I gave it a go as there can't be many chances to see the aurora from Hertfordshire. Wasn't a complete waste of time - I got a nice shot of Cassiopeia above some trees, and took some shots of The Plough to practise stacking.

Archived