Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Good dark-spots near Newcastle

Hi Mark,

It depends where in the north east you are located?  Derwent Reservoir is quite dark as is Kielder.  There will be a few places up the coast that will be quite dark, just look for a car park.  Mind, you want to make sure it is also safe.  I bought a MAK 127 originally, with a view to traveling out to dark spots, but never did, just used my back garden and put up with mild light polution.

There are some clear spells, but I don't know it is going to be that good tonight, it is looking pretty cloudy and wet coming over from the west.

Robin

Hi 

Powhill at Derwent Reservoir is quite close for a commute from Newcastle. I used this location last night. You may get the occasional unwelcome visitor but they usually do not hang around and it is mostly fine. I also use Cawfields, particularity worth the drive if the weather looks to be more promising on the West. There are locations at Kielder such as Elf Kirk and various spots within Northumberland such as between Rothbury and Elsdon - worth spending time over OS maps. 

You could consider joining Sunderland Astronomical Society, they have access to Millshields car park at Derwent Res amongst others for regular dark sky meets. There is also the spring and autumn  Kielder Star Camp which is currently on. 

So good to have options - join SAS, or through the week, get to somewhere like Derwent Res. Anyhow getting out of Newcastle is a must it is awful for visual astronomy - the sky quickly transforms into a starry spectacle. Get in touch if you would like to arrange to meet up at some point.

Archived