Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

What is the best thing you've seen through a Telescope ?

deepspacehunter

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry folks but cannot resist adding Mc Naught 2007

As probably the biggest shock I have ever had looking through any optical aparatus.

Low in the East, it was still light down there and I passed it 3 times thinking it was a plane and contrail !

Huge bright head and an extremely bright and broadening Tail sweeping up for 10s of degrees in striations.......I still have the scar from where my jaw hit the car bonnet,

I only saw it 1 other time (through lousy seeing) but that was enough to stay with my until I drop (like my jaw)

Rgds  Mick

Back in the mid 70's as a boy in the local astronomy club it was Jupiter. A few years later in the astro soc at Cambridge, my first Saturn and a blurry Mars. In the 80's there was nothing memorable other than some strange goings on in the next tower block glimpsed through binos in London. The 90's brought me back to Saturn with my first own scope. 40 years later, with obsy, I can stare at the Moon for hours.

P

3.55am 13 September 1985.   After several attempts I finally tracked down the returning Halley`s Comet. It was small, faint, and not very impressive, but that first sight will stay with me for the rest of my life.

Steve.

Through my scope it's the Moon so far, I am desperate to see some galaxies but simply cannot see them, I am pretty sure I have my telrad in the right places, am using stellarium on night mode to check the degree's and stars etc but nothing, nada :(

So far my best "wow" moment was Venus crescent through my bins earlier last month, unfortunately not high enough to be able to view with the scope (tree line from garden gets in the way, had to use an upstairs window).

Jupiter this year has been pretty spectacular and M42, the Great Nebula in Orion, always is. Also, finding, eventually, the supernova in M82 was a real thrill.

But my biggest pleasure so far has been finding my first DSO... M57, the Ring Nebula. Although it appeared as just a minuscule grey smoke ring I was amazed how it just came into view in the eyepiece and excited as I realised I had located it. For me it's one of the easiest to find. I still struggle finding most of the others, including the Andromeda Galaxy and M82.

Julian

It has to be for me the first thing I ever saw through a telescope which was Jupiter and it's moons... I had a jumping up and down in excitement, mind blown moment that I'll never forget and from there the bug well and truly bit!! ;)

Dear Moderators... In my earlier post I said Saturn has been pretty spectacular. I ACTUALLY meant Jupiter! What a mental aberration! If it doesn't break any forum rules could you correct it... For clarity?

Dear Moderators... In my earlier post I said Saturn has been pretty spectacular. I ACTUALLY meant Jupiter! What a mental aberration! If it doesn't break any forum rules could you correct it... For clarity?

Done :)

I remember my parents taking me to an observatory to see Halley's comet in 1986, but my favourite has to be the Double cluster I still look at it almost every time I set the scope up.

I was blown away by a view of the sun through a very good solar telescope at an observatory in South Korea last year.

My most memorable viewing experience was seeing M13 through Moonshanes 16" dob at PSP in 2012 - first time at a dark site and more aperture than I'd ever deemed of!!<br />

<br />

This was made even more memorable by the delight expressed by my 11 year old daughter when she saw it too. <br />

<br />

<br />

CS<br />

<br />

Paul

Strictly a bino observer for the time being, my most favourite thing to observe from my backyard with the 10x50's is M44 the beehive cluster it is so under rated and I much prefer the beehive to the Pleiades and probably M33 from dark skies just because it's so elusive wherever else I observe from!

i would of said saturn if i had posted in the beginning but after seeing all the colours in the ring nebula last week with danny k and no filter i think it might be this, or m13 at 250x or, only messing

i would of said saturn if i had posted in the beginning but after seeing all the colours in the ring nebula last week with danny k and no filter i think it might be this, or m13 at 250x or, only messing

You'll change that after the trip ;)

The recent historic Venus transits of 2004 and 2012 were pretty cool.

I lucked out and got to see both of them.

Good thing too, because I doubt that I'll be around for the next one in 2117.

The BEST thing I've seen through a telescope is definitely our closest neighbor, the Moon.

It shows incredible detail but unfortunately gets a bad rap by some people.

Oh well, it's their loss.

Every time I find a DSO I find myself saying 'wow' involuntarily....

So far, overall. I think Pleiades is the best think I have seen. I showed my misses and she couldn't believe there were so many stars in such a small piece of sky.

Everytime I set the scope up I always start of with Pleiades.

Archived