Narrowband

Large meteor moon impact.

Myopicus

Afraid not Mace, much to small to be resolved by an earth based telescope.

I've read that a 10" scope could theoretically resolve  a crater point nine  miles across

The Lunar  Reconnaissance Orbiter   (LRO) would be able to image it though, and has done I think, but not sure.

The lunar surface clearly indicates the torrid history the Moon has endured from Impacts, and it still goes on.

Poor Selene must have one hell of a headache.

Ron.

post-567-0-98017400-1393320470.jpg

40m is about 0.02", so even ignoring seeing conditions you'd need a scope about 5m diameter. I suppose it might be resolvable using a very large telescope with adaptive optics, might be just a bit beyond the typical amateur scope though.

For an object of 400 kg traveling at 61000 mph, an impact energy of 15 tonnes of TNT seems a bit small, doesn't it? Reporters getting their figures wrong?I would have thought that 15 kilotons would have been more likely.

Lance

Archived