Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Buying a new house astro advice?

maxheadroom

We've spotted a house. It's on the very tip of a small village that leads away to the north east leaving the rest of the compass directions fields and farmland. It's a mile from the kids school and closer to my work and just a little further for the wife to commute but she works nights so that matters not. There are fields all around but it is in close proximity to an a road. Also it's next to a country pub (grin)

It seems well priced for the size and location and it has a small garage and conservatory plus a little gated drive for the next time I drink alcohol and look at cars on eBay :(. There MUST be a catch (there's always a catch) but it ticks many boxes at present and it looks like the potential to add value is there.

I'm going to swing by the pub later and check it all out for spot lights..

Thanks for all the advice so far loungers :D

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We've spotted a house. It's on the very tip of a small village that leads away to the north east leaving the rest of the compass directions fields and farmland. It's a mile from the kids school and closer to my work and just a little further for the wife to commute but she works nights so that matters not. There are fields all around but it is in close proximity to an a road. Also it's next to a country pub (grin)

It seems well priced for the size and location and it has a small garage and conservatory plus a little gated drive for the next time I drink alcohol and look at cars on eBay :(. There MUST be a catch (there's always a catch) but it ticks many boxes at present and it looks like the potential to add value is there.

All the best, please tell us how you get on.  The place sounds ideal! :)

All the best, please tell us how you get on.  The place sounds ideal for you! :)

'Next to the pub' sounds a bit worrying- 90% are lit up like Christmas trees if most of the establishments I know are anything to go by.

'Next to the pub' sounds a bit worrying- 90% are lit up like Christmas trees if most of the establishments I know are anything to go by.

I agree. It's at the back of the pub luckily but it could still be chucking light everywhere. Need to ha a rece

Hmm not bad but 3 dirty great street lights visible to the south and the back of a spotlight from the pub can be seen too but no other lights can be seen directly from the garden. Not 100% amazing but a lot better than now. Won't rule it out based on that though. Will have to have a look round before giving it the thumbs down

post-35131-0-93539200-1393447029_thumb.j

Have you checked the council's policy on part night lighting?

Something else to consider living next to a Public House (I did not realise the house was next to a pub) is not just light pollution, but noise pollution.

It's a country 'nice'/ eaty pub so not worried about rowdy eejits as such but the lights from the road puts me off a bit. I think on that road the lights are on all night, I'm almost 100% sure of it in fact, I'll check out the council tomorrow. Thanks for the advice mate

Might be able to lobby the council to put street-lamp baffles up? I'm not sure of the legislature, but if requested they've no grounds to object - perhaps?

Otherwise, sounds great!  You're never going to tick all of the boxes, so hitting most of them is good.  More importantly, what's your (and your good wife's) gut instinct telling you? Trust it, feel The Force!

I did things the other way round, after moving to Frace and buying on old farm the dark skies gave such a stunning view of the milky way that it just forced me into astronomy.

Unfortunately you can only do things this way round once.

Good luck with your search

Paul

oh man..

i must show this discussion to my wife...

I can imagine our conversation already..

"Babe..!  What are the requirement for our new house in terms of astronomy?..

...no babe you heard me correct...I said astronomy..not finances sweetie...

Sorry my love...I can go and do what to myself? "

:grin:

Don't forget other types of pollution.

We nearly settled on a country house until the night when we checked it out again only to be driven off by the overpowering kitchen smells from a pub behind the back garden.  

Daytime great, but night-time the kitchen smells just lingered on.

Good luck.

Cheers guys, we have found a perfect house with a long south facing garden that backs onto fields and miles of pretty much nothing.

It's not a mansion by any stretch but it's the perfect location for the various family commutes.

I'm gutted to say that I've been missing the clear skies over the last week up while sorting the house. It's incredible the junk that you store over the years. I've ordered a 4 yard skip but that will be filled and we will need tip runs too. Ah well I'm sure it will be all worth it (hopefully)

Thanks for the advice!

Max

All I can think about at present is piling caps and a steel frame and we have a sturdy and elevated observation post (see the elevated 'playroom' to the right) now that would be a great little obsy-[removed word]-man-area :D

post-35131-0-07222400-1394150592_thumb.j

• 3 months later...

Well the previous house fell through... And then the next... But 3rd time lucky and after 4 months of stress and anxiety we are finally moving to our new house. Nice 4 bed detached that is more family friendly than astro friendly but there are clear skies to the south being on the edge of a town. Can't wait to get out of this poxy little terrace cottage and get the scope out in the garden. It's not seen the stars since we started this whole thing so will be dusted off and in the garage. We move on Friday!!

post-35131-0-49596600-1403641603_thumb.j

post-35131-0-17524600-1403641655_thumb.j

That's great. Good to hear you've finally got a place after all those houses falling through.

I'm due to move on the 11th July and worrying myself sick (Almost litteraly) over this. Lost count of the number of runs to the tip I've made.

In looking for houses I told the estate agents that I'm an astronomer (I think I was the first they'd met!) and was looking for open southern skies and no untoward light pollution. Had to reject several due to too-tall trees in heighbouring gardens or else visible floodlights and streetlights, or even looking south toward houses.

Fortunately the property I'm scheduled to buy looks to have a good southern aspect and no intruding streetlights. I couldn't see if any neighbors has insecurity lights, but hopefully I'll be able to screen any that do.

That's great. Good to hear you've finally got a place after all those houses falling through. I'm due to move on the 11th July and worrying myself sick (Almost litteraly) over this. Lost count of the number of runs to the tip I've made. In looking for houses I told the estate agents that I'm an astronomer (I think I was the first they'd met!) and was looking for open southern skies and no untoward light pollution. Had to reject several due to too-tall trees in heighbouring gardens or else visible floodlights and streetlights, or even looking south toward houses. Fortunately the property I'm scheduled to buy looks to have a good southern aspect and no intruding streetlights. I couldn't see if any neighbors has insecurity lights, but hopefully I'll be able to screen any that do.

Sounds like you are on a mission! I do feel sorry for anyone going through this especially with lending as it is. We were in a chain of 7 including a first time buyer and it's been nothing short of horrendous. We have been haemorrhaging money like it's going out of fashion. I'm just glad the ordeal is FINALY done almost.

Talk about tip runs, we fillied a 12 yard skip to bursting with clutter and still needed storage to make the place saleable. We are under no illusions that the same won't happen again so we are going for the minimalist approach this time.

Best of luck mate

:)

It helps a lot if you build well clear of any boundaries. The greenery in my neighbours garden has shot up in recent weeks. His innocuous looking hedge has "bolted" and in parts reach some 15' high (not to mention his 8' high nettles and invading brambles) :o

I must admit I guessed re. the directions, so the long axis (drop down etc.) of my Ro-Ro is looking South East. BUT I actually don't tend to do much (video) imaging in the near Southerly direction. Just as it gets interesting, along comes the dreaded medirian flip? :p

Archived