Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Buying a new house astro advice?

maxheadroom

As we have well grown out of where we live currently we will need to move soon which is daunting but exciting. My prerequisite is a garage or decent outside storage (man cave) for my various hobbies and that at least one elevation faces fields and or nature. I'm not made of money so can't consider 100% rural but I've seen a few within budget that fit the bill.

So what direction of unpolluted sky is best for astronomy?

N,S,E or West?

Max

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Avex UK Light Pollution Map

http://www.avex-asso.org/dossiers/pl/uk/

might help you pick the general area of interest. I used it for my last house hunt (coupled with Google Earth to check out nearby buildings). What it won't show you is the rural 'spoilers' like floodlit churches and golf driving ranges. A night time recce is always recommended!

+1 for South facing garden - it gives you sun bathing during the summer daytime, and the Ecliptic at night all year round. I'd also want to be sure there was clearance for polar alignment from the planned observing position (eg no trees or roofs in the way). :)

The Avex UK Light Pollution Map

http://www.avex-asso.org/dossiers/pl/uk/

might help you pick the general area of interest. I used it for my last house hunt (coupled with Google Earth to check out nearby buildings). What it won't show you is the rural 'spoilers' like floodlit churches and golf driving ranges. A night time recce is always recommended!

Brilliant map. Thanks for posting.

I heartily agree with the recommendations above - have been currently house hunting myself. I agree with Laser Jock that a couple of night time visits are important for determining the quality of sky. Plus the fact you'll be able to hear whether your neighbours (if there are any) aren't keen party goers....

In addition to what has been said already:

Location to your job is quite important too - it is quite easy to get carried away with the strong desire for dark skies - I was offered a house which was sitting under the darkest skies in the UK...sadly it was an hour and ten minutes' drive from my job and that's in a cruddy car! As work is hard to come by these days I had to make a very difficult decision to stay in gainful employment. (je regrette....)

It's the sweet spot you are looking for - a small 'street light free' rural community at least 20 miles from the largest town, perhaps 7 from a smaller town. Work out how far you are willing to commute to town and whether your car is up to it.

All the best!! :)

Our back garden faces east with a good view north. Although there is a large tree several houses away to the south, we do get sun most of the day and the ecliptic from rising until it goes around the end of the terrace.

We have 9 streetlights and enough security lights for a prison. By means of poles and throws all direct light is stopped. Although we live on the edge of town, the Milky Way, M32 and the double cluster can be seen by eye on good nights.

I think if we moved I'd like to face east and have a good view of the ecliptic and find somewhere where folks use curtains,

Nick.

We have an east facing garden which also has an open aspect, so we don't have anything directly overlooking us. There is a residents carpark at the back and most of the time it is shrouded in darkness unless some of our neighbours leave their outside lights on. There are also no direct streetlights either which is a bonus.The nearest other houses are about 100 feet away and set lower down than ours. With this in mind I am pretty happy. We get the chance to see objects rising first in an evening. In fact from where I set my scope up on my lawn I have the whole east meridian available to me. The west is a total non starter as the house is in the way though.

How about buying the the most suitable house for family, schools and work location and then buying a small van for your telescope and other man bits which will also enable you to  get away and on occasions meet your mates at the pub without your missus waiting with the rolling pin.

I'd say South and then East (unless you do most of your observing/imaging pre-dawn). I look forward to all the 'new' stuff coming from the east -- by the time its in the West you've already had a good chance (seasonally, that is) to see it.

Speaking as a Stokie don't make my mistake and move so far away that getting proper oatcakes is impossible  :smiley:

Martin

Look out for nearby rivers - fog was one aspect I did not consider when choosing our current house.

Pop round to have a look at night - even if not clear you will get a good idea about light pollution levels.

/callump

Look out for nearby rivers - fog was one aspect I did not consider when choosing our current house.

Pop round to have a look at night - even if not clear you will get a good idea about light pollution levels.

/callump

Oh yes - I forgot to mention that - I never go to star parties near rivers and lakes (not since the one and only time I got caught out). The mist and dew off a body of water will just roll right in and smother your gear in minutes. So elevated relief is a big consideration. :)

Cheers for all of the safe advice folks. Of course mine and the wife's jobs are the first priority along with the kid's school.

It's hard to try to make order of 14 years of joint clutter and 6 years if kids stuff but we will have to be ruthless and hire a bug skip!

Too embarrassed to show potential buyers round at the moment especial with a telescope in the middle of the living room haha

Max

So elevated relief is a big consideration. :)

The place we were offered & had to turn down was 1000 feet above sea level with South Eastern facing garden....arrrggghhh!!!  :D

It's hard to try to make order of 14 years of joint clutter and 6 years if kids stuff but we will have to be ruthless and hire a bug skip!

Too embarrassed to show potential buyers round at the moment especial with a telescope in the middle of the living room haha

Max

Wouldn't bother me at all - the place we live in now (rent) was a doer upper and we could see the potential. Mind you, we don't watch the property programs with all the perfect looking homes and aren't fooled by the smell of fresh coffee & baking bread...

I'm also looking for a place at the moment. I have 2 offers on 2 places which are 3 doors away from each other. The gardens in both are both south facing, but both have tall but now dead trees blocking the view south. I'm told i can remove these dead trees as they are within the boundries of both properties. The gardens are also only about 50ft long so that gives me a narrow window (east to west) in which to observe. Thankfully the location is almost rural, so miles upon miles of dark open fields are about 5-10 mins drive away.

I'm concentrating on buying a house to live in rather then somewhere that is good for observing. 

I'm lucky that where im looking offers both in equal measure.

But first and foremost is me getting a place to live............................

Max

I've seen the pictures of your gorgeous scope - leave it where it is! :Envy:

If they look bemused just distract them with the laser-pointer.  Easy.   :grin:  :grin:

Agree with all the useful suggestions above but if you're an imager or thinking about astrophotography, make sure you're not under any flight paths.

Best of luck with your search and hope you can find a decent place with a huge man cave - never find one big enough in my experience! :grin:

James

I'm also currently looking at buying a different property. Have been to check out a few, but the gardens are either too small (most new build homes), or the garden is ok, but the house is dodgy!

Not in any rush so will take time to get the right one for the needs of my hobby and my family.

Archived