Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

completely new to star gazing :) x

TwinkleTwinkle

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Scarborough and District Astronomical Society that meet at Dalby ( http://www.facebook.com/ScarboroughRyedaleAstronomicalSociety/info )

As Andy has said Pamela, the Scarborough & Ryedale Astronomical Society is a little drive.  However, Dalby is among the darkest skies in the country and is recognised as such by astronomers who regularly attend our annual Starfests.  The society has two observatories and a number of other telescopes also available to use.  We also hold monthly meetings in East Ayton.  As a newbie when I started out in the hobby I found it very daunting without any assistance and advice but joining a local astronomical society certainly helped as there is always someone willing to give you some help and advice.

I'd do a search First and see if people had successfully got either camera to take prime images with your scope.

There is one member with that Nikon unable to get the camera to reach focus on their scope (not the same scope as you).

I see I'm a bit late with that.

Enjoy your new camera :-)

I love my Nikon :)

Had a blast at Orion last night and although the image isnt fantastic compared to the pros on here im pretty happy with what a complete noob can do with budget equipment :)

This was taken with my Nikon D3200 unmodded DSLR and 200p on EQ5 with dual axis motors.

X88 30 second exposures at ISO 800 stacked in DeepSkyStacker then processed in Photoshop.

post-33248-0-76954000-1394013531_thumb.j

Hi, I started out with a 130 recently and am pleased with it - I felt it was a good way to 'learn the craft' rather than just pressing a button and it takes you to your destination and have had some satisfaction in finding stuff so far.

Hope you enjoy it!

Cheers

Mark

I love my Nikon :)

Had a blast at Orion last night and although the image isnt fantastic compared to the pros on here im pretty happy with what a complete noob can do with budget equipment :)

This was taken with my Nikon D3200 unmodded DSLR and 200p on EQ5 with dual axis motors.

X88 30 second exposures at ISO 800 stacked in DeepSkyStacker then processed in Photoshop.

attachicon.gifOrion 1st attempt low res.jpg

that looks amazing, I can only dream of having pictures like those, it looks amazing. the only reason I went with the 53 was for the built in wifi, as I thought it would be easier transferring files etc ,Iv ordered my adapters so will have to wait and see on the focussing @ happy kat, I hope iv not dropped a clanger with the choice of dslr :(

some really fantastic advice here, because its very very daunting, I know abosolutley nothing on photography or astronomy , Ill see If I can get someone to come with me to the groups in scarborough as I think it would be the right path to take

thanks again x

I knew nothing too before i joined this site and a few months later im happily snapping away and processing :)

Still got so much to learn but one you grasp the basics the rest falls into place.

as for focussing you will really want a Bahtinov focus mask at some point its pretty much invaluable.

I beleive this is the one you want http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bahtinov-Mask-for-Celestron-130SLT-/301090354816?pt=UK_Photography_Telescopes&hash=item461a623680

some really fantastic advice here, because its very very daunting, I know abosolutley nothing on photography or astronomy , Ill see If I can get someone to come with me to the groups in scarborough as I think it would be the right path to take

thanks again x

We'll hopefully see you at one of our events soon then Pamela.  All events are on the SARAS website http://www.scarborough-ryedale-as.org.uk/saras/.  Next one is this Friday which is the final public observing session of the season in Dalby Forest before the nights become too light at a sociable hour.

I'd do a search First and see if people had successfully got either camera to take prime images with your scope.

There is one member with that Nikon unable to get the camera to reach focus on their scope (not the same scope as you).

I hope iv not dropped a clanger with the choice of dslr :(

I had an issue focusing my Canon DSLR with my Jessop's reflector scope which worked fine with my Tasco refractor scope.

The barlow I mentioned earlier solved the problem. So...I wouldn't worry about it unduly if I were you.  If you do have any issues then hopefully they'll be simply rectified. :)

@Andy - I'll try and get up there on Friday if I can.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Pamela and welcome to the forum. Astrophotography is proving more and more popular with many people who have decided to take an interest in astronomy in recent times. Imaging (...as it is more commonly referred to) can be broken down in to three main areas. 'Widefield' which is basically taking pictures of the night sky using your DSLR on a tripod and might typically include a terrestrial detail (Church spire etc) to provide a reference point or some familiar context for the shot. Next up is solar system imaging (moon, planets and the sun) which are typically captured using a video camera, in which the best 'frames' from a video clip are selected and stacked on top of each other to form a final composite image. Lastly and by no means least is Deep Sky Imaging which focuses on deep sky objects (DSO's) such as galaxies and nebulae. This area of imaging is the most technically demanding and requires an accurate motorised mount that is capable of tracking these very faint objects for a long period of time to enable you to collect enough 'data' to construct a final image. This method of imaging is the most technically demanding and so therefore will provide you with a steep learning curve as you attempt to bring all of your equipment together as a successful imaging 'rig' which can at times test both your patience and your wallet.  :grin:

To help you further understand the requirements of imaging, you might like to consider getting hold of a copy of Steve Richards' "Making Every Photon Count" which is a very comprehensive guide on what kit you need to enable you to perform different types of astrophotography. It's modest in price but of great value in helping you to avoid buying the wrong kit as the technical demands of imaging with a scope are quite different to those where which offer the best observing platform. The accuracy of the mount is critical for imaging DSO's and will represent an area of further research as the mount that came with your Nexstar 130 is unfortunately not up to the task for this area of work.

Wishing you clear skies and hope you enjoy your stay here. Imaging is very seductive but so is observing and there are plenty of objects waiting for to discover in the night sky with your current setup.  :smiley:

James 

hi, i was just re reading my replies, ( like for the 9th time hehe) i was wondering what the best/ cheapest lens would be for my camera, zoom? i iv literally only just opened up the box to  my camera a day or so ago (through the company sending the wrong camera)  opened it up and boy oh boy it looks technical)  

still getting a few dslr adapters together as iv bought the wrong ones , infact taking a detour to rother valley optics tommorrow to hopefully get the correct ones and maybe purchase the skyQ, theres so many things its very confusing at times

Regarding the lens - it all depends on what you're wanting to photograph.

If it's the night sky then a wide angle will be fine - the 'faster' the better though (low 'f' number) - although the standard lens that comes with your camera should be sufficient to get you started. :)

A decent zoom lens (400mm) will let you take pretty good full frame pics of the moon.

If you're wanting to do planets etc then you'll need to pop the camera on your 'scope...

Regarding the lens - it all depends on what you're wanting to photograph.

If it's the night sky then a wide angle will be fine - the 'faster' the better though (low 'f' number) - although the standard lens that comes with your camera should be sufficient to get you started. :)

A decent zoom lens (400mm) will let you take pretty good full frame pics of the moon.

If you're wanting to do planets etc then you'll need to pop the camera on your 'scope...

thankyou andy, im sorry if it sounds a daft question, but do I need the eyepieces in the scope when I attatch my camera to the scope, or does is camera lens  enough

thanks again :) x

Two methods available Pamela.

Some eyepieces allow eyepiece projection so you place your eyepiece in the telescope and connect the camera to that.  The other method is known as prime focus and the camera is attached to the telescope with the scope acting as the lens.  Both methods require a t-ring that acts as the adapter to the camera with a nosepiece available that screws into the t-ring and inserts into the focuser for prime focus.  

I've never personally done any eyepiece projection with all my images taken using prime focus or widefield methods.

thankyou andy, im sorry if it sounds a daft question, but do I need the eyepieces in the scope when I attatch my camera to the scope, or does is camera lens  enough

thanks again :) x

No such thing as a daft question when it comes to learning :)

Better to ask than either buy the wrong product or possibly damage something (like a Meade #494 controller and/or DS2000 mount by using the wrong PC cable :o - I'm currently keeping my fingers crossed that I haven't managed to do that...)

Anyway... Andy Exton has basically said what I was going to say ;)

But I'll just add to it...

For the 'prime focus' method (which is the more common and simplest way) of using your camera with a scope you'll just need the following :

A 'T' ring for your camera (they're usually camera specific)

and

A 'T' adaptor which screws into the T ring and goes into where you'd normally put the eyepiece in your scope (make sure you get the right size one for your scope).

They look a little like this :

FF023.jpg

Or you could get one with an inbuilt Barlow lens like this :

93640__.jpg

This would be the preferred option as some scopes have trouble focusing with a camera but the extra lens can make a difference.  As well as getting a bit more magnification :)

Hi and welcome to SGL.

I agree with previous comments - don't get ahead of yourself, do a bit of star gazing and familiarise yourself with the sky first. You can always take a few pics using a compact camera or smartphone held to the eyepiece (moon only).

Peter

Archived