7mm Fuji ortho-brief first sight....

jetstream

The 7mm Fujiyama ortho just arrived,build quality looks good,lenses are free of any dust,blems etc.However,the coatings don't look as dark as Baaders Classic Ortho-just had them out in some diffuse sunlight.This difference has been noted before,but I noticed that the coatings are quite different.Whether or not this will show up on the planets,lunar or star splitting remains to be seen-and this is my primary use for this EP.On DSO however, the BCO may be very hard to beat,in this EP class....and others

I'll be interested to see what you think of the Fuji compared with the BCO Gerry  :smiley:

I've spent a few months comparing the Astro Hutech's, the Baader GO's, Fujiyama's and the Baader Classic Orthos. The coatings and optics on the first three brands are identical and, I felt, looked darker than the Baader CO's. Optically I found the first three brands are also identical with the Baader CO very, very close but not quite as good at controlling light scatter so the sky around a bright objects is not quite as black with a BCO.

On deep sky objects I think the BCO 10mm and 18mm have very slightly better light transmission than the others.

I've found you need to find some really challenging targets to separate these eyepieces and the better the observing conditions, the easier it is to see such differences as there are. 

We are really rather spoiled for ortho options at the current time despite the fears that the design would become extinct following the Japanese earthquake and tsunami.

I just have to say,that after a very brief obs session withe the KK 7mm on Jupiter,that this ortho works-really works.Sitting in between the 8mmDelos and 6mm Delos,the 7mmFuji held its own....and then some.....and then some more.The seeing was good for here say 4/5(for my sky) and would support up to 250x-but not steady.The 7mm @ 171x in my scope is going to get a lot of use.Has anyone done a head to head comparison between the Delos/Fuji,Baader orthos?

I only refer to Jupiters detail seen here,not scatter,distortions etc-need more time for that

Gerry,

Congratulations on the new Fugi 7mm

It was only a little while ago we were looking under the barrel for orthoscopic eyepieces, choice was not a word that sprung to mind. Now it would appear that many are making them, at this rate I am expecting Shell and BP to enter the marketplace.

It would be nice to hear a report though Gerry as good as John is the different sky and conditions would be interesting to read about from yourself.

alan

For the very short time I had the 9mm BGO I compared it with the 10mm Delos on Jupiter and the Delos faired considerably better.

This difference may be due to the extra eye relief with the Delos and was simply more comfortable to look through. I did not like the BGO at all :smiley:

For the very short time I had the 9mm BGO I compared it with the 10mm Delos on Jupiter and the Delos faired considerably better.

This difference may be due to the extra eye relief with the Delos and was simply more comfortable to look through. I did not like the BGO at all :smiley:

Hi Shaun,its unfortunate that the BGO didn't perform for you.I have had great luck with the KK Fuji 7mm ortho-it is right up there with either the 8mm Delos or 6mm Delos that I'm comparing it to.The KK may have higher light trasmission( a bit) than the Delos,but at times(high transparency,avg seeing) this could lower contrast seen,at other times (great seeing,avg transparency) the KK may be a bit better.All these EP are very sharp and contrasty units.

I have just ordered the 5mm KK Fuji from Agena Astro

Gerry I think eyepieces are very personal and we all eventually find what suits us best. It would be a dull world if we were all the same :laugh:  its great the KK suits you.

Glad the Ortho is living up to expectations, Gerry. I'd be kind of lost without the few orthos I have and find them extremely useful for planetary and lunar observations. Even if I decide to get a wider field at a higher magnification one day, something which is just a tad easier on the eye, I still don't think I'd ever sell on that given focal-length ortho. I feel the image quality they offer far out weighs any market return on them. 

Archived