SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

My gear stolen

George

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The dirty scum bags, I am sorry to hear that you are just another statistic on the local police uncleared crime sheet.

I just wonder as we are an open forum if we give too much info, or were they opportunists?

Good advise there on the "keeping a watch on fleabay".

naz

The police are a big waste of space, no wonder everyone holds them in contempt.

I'd suggest you get your observatory wired up to a few hundred volts and leave the door open so the scum bags come back and try again.

Oh, and have a rottweiler handy. And a baseball bat.

Mob rule is coming!

I'd suggest you get your observatory wired up to a few hundred volts and leave the door open so the scum bags come back and try again.

eh up Steve that's what I suggested too, a cracking good one too ! PS Make sure there's a puddle of water by the door just to help things along !

Sorry to be reading this, i hope the scum try to look at the sun through the scope.

The Yorkshire planetarium was burgled recently and a UKAI member robbed on his doorstep, what did the police do........................Nothing. :D

A half starved rottwieler in the obs will sort any future attempts.

Dave.

Sorry to be reading this, i hope the scum try to look at the sun through the scope.

The Yorkshire planetarium was burgled recently and a UKAI member robbed on his doorstep, what did the police do........................Nothing. :D

Dave.

So sorry to hear about your horrible break in UG been there myself its a gut wrenching experience you have gone through I really sympathise with you And know how it feels when you seemingly get treated like another crime number too and also the indignation in having to have my own prints taken made me feel like I was suspect its not a nice thing to happen at all

Whilst I agree its a smart move to have as many deterrents as we can to keep these scumbags away from our gear

I don't think you Dave meant it when you mention the half starved dog no animal should be treated cruelly as to affect its well being and temperament just a term of phrase no doubt :D

So sorry to hear this lousy news Upgrader. I know how proud you rightly are of your OBS. The sad thing is that the Police attitude is its your own fault for not making the place like fort knox. You are wasting their precious time.

A few years ago, my fathers workshop was broken into and a few thousand pounds worth of tools was stolen. The policeman who attended gave a crime number and said to phone the insurance. We thought that was it. The insurance company were difficult as usual, and wouldn't cover the whole replacement cost because the garage wasn't covered by 500 tonnes of concrete and a barbed wire fence etc. Anyway, about a week later, the local bobby turned up with all of the stolen tools...everything. All found in a house a few miles away!!! Brilliant.

The offending scum bag was named and shamed in the local paper, along with his mates, he was fined and did comunity service. Sadly the newspaper had to stop naming criminals because the PC brigade felt it contravened their human rights!!!!

You never know, you might be lucky.

JV

Dave.

Actually, they like to defend their territory, and will do it enthusiastically especially when well-fed. :D No fear, I know this was an allegorical Rottweiler, and you would never starve a dog. I overfeed mine...

oh man, just read this... so sorry to hear about your break-in :D The lack of any decent response from the police doesnt surpise me in the slightest, I do sometimes wonder what we pay our taxes for, what useless and pointless projects they end up paying for instead of the basics that everyone deserves but seem to be eroding rapidly.

Sorry about your loss! The annoying thing is that when the scrots get somewhere and look at what they have nicked they will probably ditch most of the stuff as not sellable for drugs. etc.

As for the police we have had one here collecting evidence after the dogs of one neighbour savaged the sheep of another (which was put down). The cop is still getting all the required statements for the paperwork and he has been down here for the best part of 12 hours over 2 days!

When he has all the stuff he needs then his evidence goes off to someone who decides what to do about it all.

It is all so time consuming and not helped by the fact that the police took 5 hours to arrive (which actually seems quick given the time for each case) and the evidence in the dog takes 4 hours to work though - so by the time (6 Hours) he got owner and dogs to the vet all they got all over the vets car park were used dogbiscuits. (No doubt fed to the dogs when a dog-loving neighbour, having been told of the sheep found and returned said dog to owner and told him the police had been called - this being shortly after the dogs big meat meal. (Which yet other neighbours had seen it consuming.)

Given all this work the cop has to do for one case it's no surprise to find they just don't bother when they can get away with it - which they could not do in the sheep case lest the might of RSPCA and others fall upon them.

In fact the cop was off duty at 4 but went off from our area (at after 4) to do unpaid overtime on his next case - a flock of geese that had gone missing. (And, as the police car was only his 'til 4 he would have to go via the station to pass the car to the next man on and use his own car to do the geese case.)

All this due to lack of resources due to lack of money for more police - yet the Government has plenty of dosh for their pet things.

Yes, very sorry to hear of your loss Upgrader.

It's not just the actual loss (as if that isn't bad enough) but also the fact that someone has consciously took the decision to violate your property - a fellow human being! - without a second thought.

Sometimes we are no better than animals.

I hope everything works out Ok for you.

Regards,

philsail1

Damn. Why bother working to spend hard-earned cash on stuff when scum like that can steal it? Especially when the police do flip all about it. The government likes to tell us all how crime is diminishing, but I think it's because people have given up reporting it. What's the point? To have the police tell us when we're robbed that it's because our properties are not secure enough is just adding insult to injury.

At least we know what they stole from you. Maybe we can keep our eyes out in case anyone tries to sell them on eBay or somewhere similar.

Mark

Sorry to hear about the break-in. It must be both very irritating and upsetting. You have my sympathies.

To be honest, I am not entirely surpised that the local police deal with theft from unattended premises as a lower priority. Quite correctly, they concentrate on issues of public safety (e.g. violent crimes, drug dealing, drink driving, speeding etc.) as a first priority and protection of property (most of which is insured anyway) second. I am, however, appalled by the police suggesting that you ring the finger-print department - indefencible

Real sorry to hear that George. What scum bags! :D It's not just the financial loss or the inconvenience, it's the fact that some ~@~@ has invaded your personal space of which no doubt means a lot to you.

I have to say, I'm not surprised by the police and a little worried about how much hostility there is in this thread towards them. Somebody please tell me what they could do? There's little else they can do. Fingerprinting is practically useless unless the crime is being done by somebody who is already convicted and they have an idea who it might be. TBH the only way that the police could really help bring these ppl to justice would be if you had 24hr security camera on the obsy and got mug shots. Then the police have something to go with. I know it sounds like I'm backing the police here but it's the harsh truth. At the end of the day it's the theives that are the scum of the Earth here and thats where all the blame should go.

-To help prevent a break in - alarms, locks etc

-If you want any chance of bringing justice to a burgler - Security camera's are your only real chance (apart from catching the @~@~@ red handed and holding em hostage!)

Matt

Real sorry to hear that George. What scum bags! :D It's not just the financial loss or the inconvenience, it's the fact that some ~@~@ has invaded your personal space of which no doubt means a lot to you.

I have to say, I'm not surprised by the police and a little worried about how much hotility there is in this thread towards them. Somebody please tell me what they could do? There's little else they can do. Fingerprinting is practically useless unless the crime is being done by somebody who is already convicted and they have an idea who it might be. TBH the only way that the police could really help bring these ppl to justice would be if you had 24hr security camera on the obsy and got mug shots. Then the police have something to go with. I know it sounds like I'm backing the police here but it's the harsh truth. At the end of the day it's the theives that are the scum of the Earth here and thats where all the blame should go.

-To help prevent a break in - alarms, locks etc

-If you want any chance of bringing justice to a burgler - Security camera's are your only real chance (apart from catching the @~@~@ red handed and holding em hostage!)

Matt

Joking aside, if you held them hostage you would finish up in jail. Security cameras are useless too if they have any view of public property on them. I had my car vandalised in my drive a couple of years ago and plod who came round to give me a crime number told me that my surveillance camera (which didn't catch the [removed word] because it was a brick thrown from off shot) evidence wouldn't have stood up in court because I was illegally filming part of the footpath at the top of my drive and he pointed out that I was actually breaking the law by doing that.

Whilst we're having a fume, this is off topic but worth repeating. I was in my front garden the other year and I heard a screech of brakes. There was a toddler in a nightdress standing in the middle of the road and a car had narrowly missed mowing her down. I didn't know the little girl, she wasn't a local so I asked her where her mummy was but she was too young to understand. I took her in the house and rang the plod, who said, and you will not believe this, 'No one has reported a child missing so it's not really our concern.'

So there I am, a bloke on his own in the house with a little girl I had just taken off the street. Plod totally uninterested. Five minutes later a frantic looking couple came around the corner looking in the garden so I asked them what was up, and they turned out to be her parents. I told them what had happened and did I get a 'Thank You'? No I got a funny look as they disappeared around the corner with her.

We have a dog and I love it when he pokes his head out the cat flap and barks his head off,

The whole street must here him :D

I think I would use a baseball bat if I caught anybody in my property.

I cant believe what is going on out there.

Bernie.

:D :pukeright: :puke: :thebirdman:

Some friends of mine had a sign on the gate, "beware of the dog", but strangely, I think it it was the fact that the dog flap took up the whole of the bottom half of the door that kept the tea-leafs away !! :shock: :shock:

It was a rotty too, beautiful friendly dog she was ! :D

Karlo

Really sorry to hear this UG. It's almost worth chaining up a couple of crappy mountain bikes by the observatory and a couple of duff laptops inside to keep their grubby mitts off the good stuff. I just live in hope that my Dell laptop will have more appeal to Danny Smackhead than a Tak EM200.

Man traps are the answer.

i'd have to agree with supernova

i'd also use a baseball bat if anyone came near my propety

Give em a good beating take em out to the New Forrest dig a hole stick em innit but leave the head showing then as you drive over the mound to roll it flat give the said head another beating with the sump of my truck as many times as it takes to return the mound to a flat state.

Then kick it :D

I feel better now :D.

Do not try this at home.

If this is not pc then feel free to remove it.

But I think we all agree :insects1:

Bernie.

A good way of catching them in the act is to have a silent alarm that consists of a transmitter/receiver which lets you know inside the house that someone has entered the garden/obsy. Then you call plod whilst they think they are undetected. You can then either let off an external siren or shine a blinding light on them if you think the police arent going to get there on time. On the other hand you could collar them yourself.

Two scum bags broke into my girlfriends car which had one of these transmitters rigged to the courtesy light. The receiver was hooked upto my CCTV system which was kicked off and also played a loud WAV file to wake me up. They were spooked when I put the bathroom light on and looked out on our drive. From the CCTV film we could make out what they were waring and rough age. I went outside to check the car and found they had bent the top of drivers door out to gain entry. I secured it the best I could then went inside and rang the police. 10 mins later my girlfriend who was watching the camera saw them returning. I then contemplated going out to confront them but decided to play it safe and just banged on the security light. so that I would get a clearer pic of them. They both looked up directly at the light and I thought I had captured them on camera fair and square. They obviously legged it at that point. Just 5 minutes after they had legged it plod arrived closely followed by a dog van. I was kicking myself wishing I had waited and not spooke them they would have been caught hook line and sinker.

link to receiver/transmitter

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Search.aspx?criteria=n48cx&source=15&SD=Y

This can then switch on an X10 compatible plug which could power up a radio or tape player inside house that could be set to wake you.

That sucks Upgrader! A telescope is a quite distinctive item so the market for on selling would be fairly limited. I wonder if there's a way of permanently marking the them with some kind of code that would help identify stolen equipment (not that it helps you now!) - they used to advertise that sort of things for videos and TVs etc. It's makes me very angry when these mongrels seem to think they have a right to flog stuff that someone else has worked very hard to get.

Archived