SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

My gear stolen

George

Last night or early this morning my obsevatory was broken into :D They smashed 2 heavy duty locks off to gain access, thankfully they just took what they took without smashing the place up and my main scopes are unharmed. Stuff that was stolen includes:

IBM Thinkpad laptop + all my astro software

Canon 300D DSLR

2'' CLS Filter and nosepiece ( arrived From bern @ Modern astronomy that very day :lol: ) and just fitted to the 300D

Skywatcher ST80

Toucam Webcam (fitted to the ST80)

Auto Focuser

Plus a box with all my bits & bobs, adapters, filters, laser collimator etc etc

Plus my beloved mountain bike which was locked up outside in the garden.

Still totaling the final cost up and its already exceeded 2 grand

Thankfully Im insured but only to the tune of 2k (outside building) so I will still be out of pocket :lol:

Plod as expected showed no interest as they were not speeding and just gave me a crime ref number for the insurance, oh and suggested I ring the fingerprint dept.....YES I ring the fingerprint dept and try get someone out, needless to say I got an answerphone!!!!!!! :D

Just spent the afternoon fitting new locks and have now alarmed it too.

Just beware and make sure your insured.

A totally *cheesed* off George :x :x

Why carnt I vent my spleen and use proper swear words, cheesed my Bottom

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm gutted for you UG, it's times like this you wish you had a large gun and a hot poker and a tip-off ! Don't just alarm the place, wire it up to 240V mains circuit. No court would dare convict you.

More seriously though, beware, as having visited you once they may well wait for your new insured replacements to arrive B4 returning for 2nds! I really hope not. As for Plod......................... no surprises there really, they don't treat it as crime so much as one of life's little inconveniences.

Thankfully you've not lost it all and they haven't trashed the obsy. Bast**ds !

Karlo

Sorry to hear your terrible news. Hope you get up and running soon.

My obs has two alarms - one which is connected to the house system and one which is completely independent. ( OK call me paranoid from now on :D) Its completely invisible from neighbouring paths streets etc. and just looks like a shed.

John

Sorry to hear about this. I managed to insert the necessary swear words for you as I read your post.

Even more disappointing is the Police attitude - YOU had to ring the fingerprint dept!!! :shock:

Hope you get sorted soon.

All the best

Bill£ :D

Sorry to hear that. Plod are a complete and utter waste of time now. They are just revenue collectors in uniform. Mind you, if you had caught one of the t***s and giving him a good pasting, plod would have been all over you like a ton of bricks. These days you have the criminals against you and also plod, who defend criminals rights. We all ought to move to Texas, I believe you can shoot the scumbags dead if you catch them on your property. Rant over.

So sorry to hear that news George, there's just so much 'scum' out there, and it would seem that the Police are not really interested in doing much about it. I think they are more interested in hiding behind bushes with speed-cameras.

Having an obsy, it is always a concern, as like you £2k is the maximum cover I get on items stored in outbuildings.

I have a professional grade alarm system installed, which also covers the eventuality of forced entry, over than via the door, and CCTV surveillance. Carry away items like Eyepieces, cameras and other accessories are never left in the obs. No lap-top, just an old Midi-Tower desktop.

Other than that, there's not much else I can do, other hope that it doesn't happen.

I suppose there are things that we could do :x, but then if some 'scumbag' gets hurt whilst violating your territory, its you that gets into trouble. Justice, what justice :x

Dave

I am almost on the verge of a seizure here just having read this. My anger is such that very little would tip me over the edge.

This so called sceptred Isle, has turned to a cesspit of miscreant lowlife scumbags. And the Police are a total waste of taxpayers money. I think they should disband them, and let the military protect the people. We should Employ ex SAS to patrol our housing estates at night with a licence to effect on the spot punishment.

I know what I am saying would never ever be a reality, but I can dream.

I just had my Lounge window broken with a stone last week, and I swear by all that is holy, if I had caught the culprit, I would not be in a position to write this, as I don't think computers are allowed in prison.

The frustration is, there is little you can do, and mores the pity. I am sick to death of walking my dog and having to listen to drunken foul mouthed teenagers, and tripping over the bottles and cans they leave at their Ar**s.

The law and order situation in the UK is an absolute joke, and the government has no Idea how to put it right.

You have my utmost sympathy, I hope they catch the B******s, but I would only get angrier when I hear of the punishment they didn't get.

Even If this is deleted, I feel better having said it.

Ron. :D :D :lol:

Very sorry to hear this. I really feel for you mate. I'd be so livid I don't think I'd sleep for a week.

Hope you get everything sorted out ok and capture some truly stunning images when you get back up and running.

Phil.

I say we should all carry guns and do a Rambo :lol: :lol: :lol: :x :D

I have been burgled 3 times the last time they trashed my house :lol:

And guess what, plod gave me a incident number and did not take fingi prints and then told me I was not taking enough care protecting my property any way you are insured are you not.

My reply was look at my face and remember it, also my address, if it hapens again and I catch them you will know who buried the ----kin b*~#s

Guess what :insects1: I was nearly arrested :D

Very sorry to here about your loss I know how you feel.

Bernie.

Very sorry to hear about that George, we all feel gutted for you and dread the day it could happen to us.

Hope you get the claim sorted OK and you're back up and running again.

Have to agree with the general sentiments about the state of things in this country today, but like many I don't hold out much hope of politicians being able to sort it out....

Mark

Sorry to hear about your break in. Just as well I don't own a shotgun - I would have killed some one by now (perhaps the ones that Vandalised my car at Christmas ... he smiles at the thought of the shotgun blast). Police totally hamstrung by the Courts - honest folk left without support or recompense as usual. Country going to the dogs ...... (Okay - rant over).

Hope your Insurance claim goes okay - those guys don't like to pay out.

Best wishes

Tom

Sorry to hear of your troubles this is going to make us all feel very edgey. I would strap them to a telescope and point it at the sun they wouldnt be able to do it again. I hate scum like this especially when they know that sod all will be done to give them a proper punishment.

Heres hoping that the insurance payout promptly.

Regards

BV

Sorry to hear about your misfortune upgrader. Hope it doesn't happen but apparently it's not uncommon for the scum to come back after a few days or weeks to get anything they couldn't get first time and see if you've replaced anything they did take (happened to me :D) The police told me this after the fact (THANKS!) Best thing you can do within the law is to make any entrances very sturdy and fit an alarm. Best of luck replacing everything.

Andy

Country going to the dogs ......

Its already gone, and I don't seeing it ever recovering :D

I guess thats' why my daughter and thousands of other Brits, have left, and continue to leave this country every week for a better life on the other side of the world.

Ironic isn't it, at one time we used to send our criminals there, now decent people are going there voluntarily, to get away from 'crime ridden' UK.

Dave

just read your email-the ******. But looking at the stuff stolen

Canon 300D DSLR

2'' CLS Filter and nosepiece ( arrived From bern @ Modern astronomy that very day :D ) and just fited to the 300D

Skywatcher ST80

Auto Focuser

Plus a box with all my bits & bobs, adapters, filters, laser collimator

worth us all watching ebay- as most of that stuff won`t be much use to the local rat folk.

I'm boiling up inside just hearing about this :D. It shouldn't happen. I feel for you, upgrader.

worth us all watching ebay- as most of that stuff won`t be much use to the local rat folk.

I was about to say. I keep on speculating what would happen if my stuff got stolen. It's not like they're keen on checking out the stars! They'll work out its value and get it up for sale pronto. Where can you sell anything? Ebay! Just look out for the idiot seller who doesn't have a clue what he's selling, which happens to be all those items you've just listed.

Best of luck getting back into the game.

Andrew

just read your email-the ******. But looking at the stuff stolen

Canon 300D DSLR

2'' CLS Filter and nosepiece ( arrived From bern @ Modern astronomy that very day :D ) and just fited to the 300D

Skywatcher ST80

Auto Focuser

Plus a box with all my bits & bobs, adapters, filters, laser collimator

You're right! A chance to pick up a 300D for a few bob. Er, OH, I see what you mean! :insects1: :D :colors:

Archived