SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Mount issues

Which version of Synscan are you using, version 3.32 or later requires you to input  EQ mode or AZ mode, upon starting Initialisation.

The time zone  does make a difference and should be +0.....and not  -0 , change the minus sign with the  lower scroll keys.

If you still have a problem, CAREFULLY type each setting and method of entry, so we can go through them with you, or could you post a video on You Tube??

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Which version of Synscan are you using, version 3.32 or later requires you to input  EQ mode or AZ mode, upon starting Initialisation.

The time zone  does make a difference and should be +0.....and not  -0 , change the minus sign with the  lower scroll keys.

If you still have a problem, CAREFULLY type each setting and method of entry, so we can go through them with you, or could you post a video on You Tube??

The handset automatically detects the type of mount (eq or az) connected on startup.

Bolton is pretty much a 10 minute drive away so i shall post a thread if tonights efforts are no further than the other days, shame the club i joined is so far away i can barely ever make the journey to get some more help in person. Well this is the weird bit, say if i am starting from the standard home park of the scope pointing to the NCP and i give it the command to slew to Vega on the first star alignment it is nearish, then the second star it will go all the way to pointing to the ground, well well below the horizon.

-Rob

But is the second alignment star definitely above the horizon? What happens to goto accuracy if you just do a one stat alignment on vega (worth testing this out).

Jd

Vega is very low at the moment.  Its tucked on my NE horizon.  Currently from here my choice of 2 star alignments are to use Aldeberan and Betelgeuse or Procyon and Dubhe depending which side of the meridian I wish to study on the night.

Skysafari says vega is currently 3 degrees above the horizon... Are you sure you are pointing the scope at vega when you align? If you got vega and deneb wrong, then the mount would be out by nearly 20 degrees, so if you asked the mount to look at something 10 degrees above the north east horizon it would point to 10 degrees below the horizon....

Do you have a virtual sky programme on your phone or a tablet or something to confirm you are selecting the correct stars when doing the alignment?

I've been mixing up venus and saturn by naked eye in the morning, but don't tell anyone!!!

Jd

Skysafari says vega is currently 3 degrees above the horizon... Are you sure you are pointing the scope at vega when you align? If you got vega and deneb wrong, then the mount would be out by nearly 20 degrees, so if you asked the mount to look at something 10 degrees above the north east horizon it would point to 10 degrees below the horizon....

Do you have a virtual sky programme on your phone or a tablet or something to confirm you are selecting the correct stars when doing the alignment?

I've been mixing up venus and saturn by naked eye in the morning, but don't tell anyone!!!

Jd

I mean when i was using vega as a star to align to, i'm not using Vega at the moment. I use apps yes.

-Rob

Went out and re-tried everything to no avail. I took a video from the starting input of the handset to slewing to sirius and you can see it point well below the horizon. I'll upload the video in a little while. Also retried with the EQMOD alingment, took over 12 and it got a little closer to the selected star but wasn't perfect.

-Rob

Sorry to hear it wasn't a great success.

At least it sounds like EQMOD was in the right direction rather than below the horizon.

I still think it is going to be easier if someone who knows what they are doing (and I don't necessarily include myself in that bracket) can watch you set up; the video may help.

Have you spoken to the person who sold you the mount; did they fit the RA and Dec motors themselves and get it all working without any problems?

JD

Sorry to hear it wasn't a great success.

At least it sounds like EQMOD was in the right direction rather than below the horizon.

I still think it is going to be easier if someone who knows what they are doing (and I don't necessarily include myself in that bracket) can watch you set up; the video may help.

Have you spoken to the person who sold you the mount; did they fit the RA and Dec motors themselves and get it all working without any problems?

JD

I've not spoke to the shop i bought the mount from as i've had endless issues with motors being faulty and they will be starting to think i'm taking the ****. The motors i payed extra for as the dual axis ones burnt up without me even touching the hand controller ! (plugged the batteries in and went up in smoke). The synscan upgrade i fitted myself, i did notice last night that the mount was only out along one axis, i either had to go n/w or s/e to align to the star. I'm trying to get the video up now, i had to record with my GoPro so the detail isn't that great but the information that was in putted i have listed above. I may have to ask someone like to said who is willing to come take a look and hopefully resolve this problematic mount once and for all. :)

-Rob

Ithink your problem is related to incorrectly assembling the gears when you installed the upgrade kit, put the gears on the wrong way round and the mount will slew too far. Take a look at the video at post #64 is this thread http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/100433-synscan-pro-goto-version-3-upgrade-kit-for-eq5/page-4?hl=%2Bvixen+%2Bgp#entry2021805 which shows the assembly of the gears on the shafts.

Ithink your problem is related to incorrectly assembling the gears when you installed the upgrade kit, put the gears on the wrong way round and the mount will slew too far. Take a look at the video at post #64 is this thread http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/100433-synscan-pro-goto-version-3-upgrade-kit-for-eq5/page-4?hl=%2Bvixen+%2Bgp#entry2021805 which shows the assembly of the gears on the shafts.

There was no assembly, it was two motors and 2 spur gears of the same size. I did watch that video when my issue first raised itself.

-Rob 

You might also want to read this thread http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/83318-eq5-goto-upgrade/

Well.. Just checked on my motors and now i feel stupid. The DEC motor gear was meshing with the larger side instead of the smaller section of the gear which explains why the scope has been overshooting -_-. The RA motor was fine which fits in with what i was experiencing last night with only being out along one axis.

-Rob

The video didn't help as it was like a badly cut scene from the Blair Witch Project :)

I'm glad you've identified the human error component; i knew the root cause would be something to do with you :) hahah. No seriously, i'm pleased you've found something which accounts for it. I'm looking forwards to the reports of how good it is all now next clear night.

Jd

I bring good news ! My polar alignment is only out by a very minuscule amount.. Oh and i almost forget, the mount slews perfectly now. I did 6 manual alignments via the EQMOD into its database and it slewed perfectly to the star and centralised on the cross hairs on my PC screen.. Only for me to once finish, the damned clouds arrived :( 

-Rob

Polar alignment and star alignment are different.

I think you mean your star alignment is good. I am really pleased for you. Now you can start ticking off even more objects.

Sorry about the clouds.

Jd

Yes i was just mentioning my polar alignment is only out by a few small amount now also. At least it's now fixed :)

-Rob

Oh, nice. Well done :) you are on the road to fame!

Remember that even with "perfect" pilar alignment you'll get star trails eventually due to other factors. 200 seconds unguided is impressive.

:)

Pleased it's all coning together for you at last.

Jd

Archived