Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Copeland Park Observatory

RikM

Quite scary being sat on a roof of my own construction. It seems quite high from up there. 

Oh yes, I remember that from my build. The first time I was quite scared but the next few times I was much more confident. ;)

You're making good progress there! I keep wondering why my build took so long.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Outboard rails are on :)

Not a first light, more of an alpha test just for a giggle, but I stuck a scope in it, opened the roof, pointed it at the moon and looked at it through the finder :D

post-5915-0-23689600-1394653314_thumb.jp

Started by getting the roof boards on. Quite scary being sat on a roof of my own construction. It seems quite high from up there. 

A bit strange being above all the fence lines as well, bet there were a few curious stares & curtain twitches!

Had a nice chat with Adam my neighbour as he was hanging out the washing. He knows what I am doing with it anyway but army guys aren't that phased by a chap sat on a roof with a hammer and paintbrush :)

The double fences are paths between our row and the one behind and access to Adam's garden from the garages between our two houses. Adam's garden and ours are like two mirrored L shapes enclosing a small square garden for the apartment above the garages.

Got the door hung this morning. Not my favourite job!

post-5915-0-74901700-1394910750_thumb.jp

Set the imaging gear up for a laugh, mainly to get a first feel for how high to set the pier.

post-5915-0-82942600-1394910767_thumb.jp

I haven't made the pop-up streetlight screens for the sides yet but I might spend an hour seeing if everything works :D

post-5915-0-51662500-1394910783_thumb.jp

All seems to work okay. Just a quick 45min test image to see if the USB hub I bought is up to it. Seems to be okay. I need to get the warm room cladding finished though because it was very nearly as cold inside as it was outside.

post-5915-0-23827400-1395095654_thumb.jp

I have put an interim control centre in. I have partially clad the warmroom with hardboard (half price at B&Q). Will stuff the gap with bubble wrap, clad the top then tape over the joins and that will have to do until funds recover enough to do a proper job. I have spent three nights testing so far and I have to say it is a big improvement over being sat out in the garden :D

post-5915-0-05358800-1395586959_thumb.jp

Archived