Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Getting desperate!

I've had my telescope for weeks and have not yet had the opportunity to use it!

Its either been cloudy, windy and/or raining or I have been working...

I am reading and rereading magazines and trawling through stargazers lounge in search of solace.

Is this lack of stargazing opportunities normal?

Am I being paranoid about dew or possible raindrops?

mick

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yup - it's normal - a lot of folks don't realise that becoming an astronomer is a commitment to spending the rest of your life watching the weather, and the rest of your money on equipment - especially when it's raining. lol :)

The longer the bad weather lasts,........ the more time you spend researching things you'd really like to see :sad: , the longer you spend browsing for new kit to improve the views of objects you're rarely able to observe :sad: , the more you spend on things you're hardly ever going to get a chance to use :sad: ......and the more satisfying it is when the skies do (finally) clear!! :grin:

There was a mention on another thread regarding the need to be aspirational. There can be long periods of inactivity and occasional periods of quite intense activity. Perhaps consider participating by varied approaches. This might include occasional brief sessions from home, such as with binoculars mounted on a monopod, an immediate grab and go between rain clouds and commitments. Full moon observing (when it is bound to be clear!) use a scope for a planetary observing session and perhaps look for double stars. Then much more infrequently, take an opportunity to drive out to a dark sky location for a 'grand night out'.  Also consider planning to attend occasional club dark sky meets and regional star parties.  So planning, optimism and yeah, as mentioned, an unhealthy obsession with scrutinizing the weather forecast is what is required.

Yes I was lucky in January when I bought my scope that I got out almost every night for at least an hour. After a couple of weeks it all turned bad. Last night I managed about 2½ hours which was a very welcome change. I think you have to grab the chances when they come at the moment. I did buy some 10x50 bins which is a very good investment. Really compliments the scope for star hopping etc. as well as that quick use when there is a small gap in the cloud for just a few minutes outside.

All this spare time has now given me some time to try and write a program that I can use to assess the weather a bit better. Trawling through the Met Office checking forecasts, observations and maps all takes time. So if I can shorten that with an app on my laptop / pc then all the better.

It's all very frustrating but one thing this hobby does teach you is patience, not just for the weather but using the equipment. We all have a steep learnign curve to start with.

Im sharing your frustration - my scope hasnt been out all year so far - just managing brief gaps in the clouds with bino's. Im blaming the UHC filter & new EP case I bought. Looking at the forecast we're not in for any more luck in the short term either. Hopefully we'll get a reasonable spring before the nights draw out :grin:

the poor weather making you buy more gear is a good thing in a way though as yu get chance to use the different stuff in different circumstances. e.g. making a solar filter has allowed me to get out each Saturady morning for at least a half hour or so and look at the sun/do a quick sketch. very enjoyable and recharges your astro battery  :grin:

here's today's

post-5119-0-76989300-1393066140_thumb.jp

I'm in my ninth week of cloudy sky's, not even a hint of the moon.

Like previous contributions, use the time to gain knowledge. Get to know your equipment, so when you do eventually have clear sky's you know where things are in your scope in the dark. There's nothing worse than having an object in your EP, then you have to take your eye away to look where the adjustment knobs are; look back to EP and its gone.

Hope your luck changes soon.

It's certainly been challenging to get any viewing done and it seems there's a conspiracy against me!

Whenever clear skies are forcast - I'm on a early shift the next day so no viewing. If I have a rest day - it's cloud central so no viewing.

Surely the law of averages will swing back in my favour soon...

It is not paranoia. :eek: :eek:

The weather really is out to get you and you alone. :evil6: :evil6:

The rest of us do really have crystal clear skies. :clouds1: :clouds1: :clouds1:

:grin: :grin: :grin:   phew... I was worried for a moment... cheers guys, normal service has been resumed 

Am I being paranoid about dew or possible raindrops?

I wouldn't worry about dew too much - it happens, it obscures your view, but ultimately it'll dry off if you store your scope sensibly.

And personally, yes, this year seems worse than last year for clear sky - though not by much. As Pat says, no rush, the sky isn't going anywhere, and I'll second Iain's suggestion of observing in different ways - the 'scuttle outside for a quick gander' and the 'big night out' are favourites.  Nearly all of my big nights were in the summer though - this winter I've had one opportunity to spend a long time somewhere dark when it was clear - it was freezing, windy, and rubbish seeing!

That's why I love my little grab and go setups, very quick and easy, even for just a half hour session. Got out in the sun briefly yesterday and about an hour with Jupiter, M42 and Double Cluster last night.

azehu2yt.jpg

mutegusy.jpg

Hoping all you dob fans are right, and that the dob base will allow me to use the newt a lot more frequently with less setup time.

Stu

I got a couple of hours in last night; first time in ages. As you can see from the above, opportunities to get out can be pretty rare (weather !!!, family, work, etc) have an effect on most ; BUT, when you do eventually get out you will hopefully enjoy and relish it even more :smiley:

the poor weather making you buy more gear is a good thing in a way though as yu get chance to use the different stuff in different circumstances. e.g. making a solar filter has allowed me to get out each Saturady morning for at least a half hour or so and look at the sun/do a quick sketch. very enjoyable and recharges your astro battery  :grin:

here's today's

Your on same wavelength as me been so bored was thinking what can i do then hit me get sun filter for my 6in use it then at least im using my scope its not just sat there gathering dust.

here's today's

Really good sketch Shane, im hoping to do some more Solar white imaging light this year

That's why I love my little grab and go setups, very quick and easy, even for just a half hour session. Got out in the sun briefly yesterday and about an hour with Jupiter, M42 and Double Cluster last night.

azehu2yt.jpg

Hoping all you dob fans are right, and that the dob base will allow me to use the newt a lot more frequently with less setup time.

Stu

Are you hiding in the bushes Stu :grin:

here's today's

Heh, that's pretty much what you can do here in Norway during summer time, when the Nights don't get dark for 3 or so months. Play With the sun. :)

I did it with my DMK21 at the time.

It's never a bad thing to have a good solar filter at hand. :)

Archived