Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

Rustysplit

Stunning Jupiter tonight.

I have just been out in the garden with the 14" dob looking at the transit of the GRS. I can't remember seeing so much detail!! I was using an 8mm Radian giving 225x.

The white cloud bad surrounding the GRS was so clear, framing the lovely salmon pink storm. Trailing behind this were numerous swirls in  It's wake. Across the whole planet the various bands were extremely sharp, giving an incredible 3D look. I did try the 5mm giving 360x, stunning in fleeting glimpses, but too much really. The 8mm seemed the sweet spot.

• Like 5

It was very nice indeed Alan. Lots of detail once again around the GRS tonight, and as you say it seemed rather busy in that Jupiter atmosphere around SEB and STB. 

Radian and Dob is like symbiosis for viewing Jupiter :0)

The beeb is showing clear skies early morning tomorrow, so may leave it out and go for a Mars and Saturn fix.

• Like 1

Family comes,first wish I could get out I would love to get the 16" beast out for a look

Pat

Managed 3 minutes ;-) ... Little one wanted a look , something along the lines of ooh look it has lines ... Oh , I've seen that before ... Then back in doors.

But I enjoyed it !

Clear skies here for a few hours but now starting to cloud over.

Jupiter was fantastic - as was M42 in my new Baader Sopos 35mm, definitely the largest view of it that I have managed.

Hopefully the cloud will blow over and I can get back out soon!

Get them out with you Pat, "the family that plays together..."

I wish I could a would love to get a view and a bit of imaging on Jupiter alas not to night

Pat

Hi, I have just come in myself from viewing in between the clouds Jupiter is showing well have seen the 

four moons and caught a glimpse of the bands with my newly acquired eyepiece 32mm also a Barlow 2.5 X.

Think I am due to upgrade my scope....

Still excellent seeing though.

I also had some nice views of Jupiter. Tried to image on my newly modded Xbox cam. Results ok is but not brilliant. So had a little mooch about the sky. Scope nights is showing a nice night tomorrow too :)

Lovely views. Anyone else see a lovely plume to the equator from a dip in the northern belt . This was at the beginning of the occultation of Io, just before midnight ?

Viewed with a red filter at x218, certainly a lot going up there,

Nick.

Totally agree, I was mesmerised by Jupiter last night - amazing detail in the cloud girdling the GRS. The planet could take a lot of magnification.

Edited by Beulah

Glorious views - I had to stop though when it started raining inside the scope (101% humidity everywhere).

Chris

Missed the plume Nick. It had clouded out down here by then. There is so much turbulence in the cloud belts at the moment, you really get a feel for the weather systems at play up there. Once again it shows that getting out for a session in any cloud breaks you can is well worth the effort.

• Like 1

Managed 20 mins before the cloud won, but stunning views (8" Dob), excellent seeing until the clouds rolled in. 9mm + 2x Barlow

Had a quick look at Pleiades (always good) and Orion Nebula but the clouds were not good for this.

Pretty much a cloud-free night yesterday so I saw a bit of everything. BST 8mm had just arrived too, perfect time. I could make out the GRS and of course the equatorial belts. And I'm not sure if this was the BST but the detail that could be seen was much and I mean much finer. I could see the 'ripples' in the belts and the polar regions showed colour for the first time. Given the extremely clear night I probably could've gotten away using a 5mm. Before that, I caught a glimpse of Saturn at around 7:00 but I couldn't make out the rings - will try again with the BST.