740427863_Terminatorchallenge.jpg.2f4cb93182b2ce715fac5aa75b0503c8.jpg

SW 200/1000 NEQ-5???

I have a bit of a quandary.

I've just heard that someone is offering the above mentioned kit for sale not too far from me for €300 complete. OTA, NEQ-5, + SW EPs 25 & 10 sans finder.

I reckon this is a good price as approx €200 less than retail, but I don't really need the scope, or do I?

Will I see a remarked difference between this and the SW 150/750 NEQ3-2 in my signature.

Will this kit be too difficult for on the fly quick setups that I can currently do?

All my accessories are compatible with the larger scope including drives etc.

I don't need 2 'Newts', so would maybe sell the smaller one, but don't have to.

Would I be better off keeping the cash in my 'Astro-Tin' and waiting for a Refractor or a decent DSLR body to come by?

You can guess that I am tempted, but what would you folks do, should I take a punt and go for it, or if there really would only be minimal benefit, sit tight???

Any thoughts would be a help.

Cheers,

Richard

NEQ5 ? , I have not heard of this mount , is it not a typo ? and should be HEQ5 ? , if so its a good deal .

I have the HEQ5 under my Celestron C9.25 and its a great set up and the 200mm SW newt wont be any heavier , just a little longer .

Can you clarify please ?

If its the EQ5 style mount it would still be ok for visual as these 200mm f5 newtonions perform very well .

Brian.

post-18525-0-49049500-1393060644_thumb.j

Edited by Brian Nordstrom

Hi down there Brian, no it is not a typo' the mount seems to be known as EQ5 and also NEQ-5 from SkyWatcher. Personally I can't see a difference from pictures, except perhaps the NEQ5 is white and might have better RA/DEC gears.

The mount + tripod alone retails around the €300 mark so adding a 200/1000 SkyWatcher Explorer into the mix seems like a good deal.

But if I won't really see much benefit over my current 150/750 NEQ3-2 I'm tempted to pass.

Then again....

Arrgh, decisions, decisions.

Richard

I had the same sort of problem. I bought a 200p OTA and converted my TAl2 mount to take it. Then a 200p on an EQ5 plus bits and pieces came up for £200. It was as new from a friend, so I bought it intending to sell the spare tube (keeping the original as it was fully flocked etc). I put it up for sale and had no takers, so I kept it and converted it onto a home made Dob base. So I've ended up with 2 200ps (and the TAL):rolleyes:

Sent from my GT-P5110 using Tapatalk

There's an idea Jason. I could easily make a DOB mount if required. I happen to like EQs though.

It looks like I'll have to decide by this evening, received email from seller.

In trying to resolve this 'quandary' and by reading everything I could find, I guess that there really won't be much of a notable difference between the 2 kits for my ordinary observing under dark skies. 6" to 8" not much jump.

But, I could pretty much leave one kit permanently setup with a CCD and laptop screen A, whilst using the other kit for visual and carting around to a cliff top WW11 gun emplacement for summer nights.

If I demotor mount A it would also give me a quick grab and go, rather than having to set everything up + I could leave mount B more or less permanently in a building that could be DIY Obsy with S + W views just by opening the doors.

I think I have convinced myself, but if anyone has a better idea for €300 on astro' kit.......

Cheers,

Richard

Thanks Rich , as I say the 200mm newts perform well and over the years I have looked thru and helped lots of the owners of these scopes , Konus  , SW , Orion , Saxon amongst many names of basically the same scope , all very good as I said for visual .

I am a little one sided here being a strictly visual guy and if you are the same it will be a great scope .

On the help side , its mainly simple things like the main mirror springs ( to light ) , tube not dark enough inside  , focuser'(s) , the synta glue/gunk inside the mounts  , tripod legs to light weight ( does this one have the light alloy ones or better stainless steel legs? ) etc , etc ,etc . Easy fixes if you are ok with your hands .

Its not that these are bad scope , far from it , its just they need a bit of work to allow the excellent 200mm mirror set to work at their best . 

Yes a DOB  base will work if that's what you want , but these are a powerful scope capable of 200-300x and an EQ mount is a must , again in my opinion .

Brian.

Cheers Brian, it is the stainless steel version.

I can see flocking 2 OTAs on my horizon, as well as tunning 2 mounts, and honing 2 focusers and maybe casting some lead to fill the legs.

No plans at this time for a DOB, I really like EQ mounts.

DIY is not a problem. ;)

Rich

Hi all. Im new to the skys and observing so just learning the ropes. The wife bought me a SW SKYHAWK 114 for christmas. But.... without being ungrateful im looking to upgrade already! However I dont just want to buy the next scope up!!! Im too practical.... so im jumping in and going for the SKYWATCHER 200P.... is this a good idea? Some advice please lol

Hi down there Brian, no it is not a typo' the mount seems to be known as EQ5 and also NEQ-5 from SkyWatcher. Personally I can't see a difference from pictures, except perhaps the NEQ5 is white and might have better RA/DEC gears.

The mount + tripod alone retails around the €300 mark so adding a 200/1000 SkyWatcher Explorer into the mix seems like a good deal.

But if I won't really see much benefit over my current 150/750 NEQ3-2 I'm tempted to pass.

Then again....

Arrgh, decisions, decisions.

Richard

There is a big difference between the EQ5 and the HEQ5 Pro. Both in price (up to 300 difference) and motor quality / payload capacity.

The color has nothing to do With it. As the normal EQ5 Mount is also white in color.

It´s the old HEQ5 (non-Pro) mount that was black.

Hi all. Im new to the skys and observing so just learning the ropes. The wife bought me a SW SKYHAWK 114 for christmas. But.... without being ungrateful im looking to upgrade already! However I dont just want to buy the next scope up!!! Im too practical.... so im jumping in and going for the SKYWATCHER 200P.... is this a good idea? Some advice please lol

For pure Visual use. You will need at least a Celestron CG5-GT or a Skywatcher EQ5 Mount to support the 200P newtonian.

As the Mount that came with your Skyhawk is an EQ1 Mount (lowest cheapest spec Mount) that will definitely not hold an 8inch newt!

So if you are "really" interested in the 200P, you are looking at this package mininum!

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/reflectors/skywatcher-explorer-200p-eq5.html

Thanx for the advice that does look like a great set up. Ive had a look at the 200 dobsonian as well. I really like that one!!! And ive got the room for it. I especially like the flexitube version but cant afford that so if I go for the dobsonian ive just got to figure out how to transport it around. But with the 200p explorer it all packs down. Decisions, deciaions.

Woo hoo it's arrived. Collected today.

One second hand brand new never First Lighted 200P on NEQ-5. The seller realized that his apartment staircases would have been impossible and is going in for a smaller refractor at this time.

So everyone is happy. :)

Now if anyone can jump into my Motors thread in the DIY Astronomy section I really would appreciate any advice.

All the very best,

Richard