Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Nice Saturn 7 Mars morning...

Kokatha man

Hi again...last week we experienced a good morning of imaging for Mars & Saturn with pretty decent seeing and excellent transparency...but strangely the red for Mars wasn't commensurate with the green & blue image appearances onscreen and their stacked outcomes...usually it's the other way around!

Lots of clouds & haze on Mars with Olympus Mons wreathed in thick orographic clouds around the volcano's dark appearance.....the other line of Tharsis volcanoes are also visible along with delicate surface nuances over Tharsis etc...

Saturn got a little seeing spike for the first rgb and an iR742nM capture and this first Saturn of the morning, taken at around 6.5 metres - which is pretty large scale for the small-pixelled ASI120MM - bears all the hallmarks of one taken much nearer opposition usually... :)

post-3551-0-15833600-1392892465_thumb.pn

post-3551-0-24116200-1392892511_thumb.pn

post-3551-0-20206300-1392892535_thumb.pn

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm used to the wonderful Saturn images you produce, but the Mars image is a jaw dropper!     I've only managed a grainy pea sized smear so far at 8"/F25, and both G & B channels were marginal.      Did you capture Mars at the same 6.5m focal length used on Saturn?

Thanks Charon, Danny, Snakey, Robin and Dror! :)

Yes, this time of the year we would normally drop the f/l for Saturn after Mars captures but the onscreen image was good enough to stick with the same f/l.....a bit of an unexpected surprise this early in Saturn's apparition! :)

Thats it......I quit! 

Absolutely stunning (as per usual).   :grin:

and as for quitting...No way...this hobby is just so fantastic  :cool:

Hopefully my C8 Edge will be ordered very soon....and hopeful to learn from all of the great planetary imagers on this site. Please keep posting more inspirational pictures for us starters!

Regards

Archived