Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

What to do about eyepieces?

Hi

Had my first actual hands on ( with eyes ) experience with my new scope tonight. granted the weather was not ideal where i am, but i had taken a punt on a clear sky and set the tripod up and left the scope outside to acclimatise whilst popping to the pub for a well deserved pint.

The SkyAlign seemed to work, in that it pointed at things when i told it to. At least, it gave me a feeling of satisfaction after the 2 hours i managed to spend using it, and that my first 'semi-clear' night was a success, as, at the time i packed up and came indoors and was thinking 'things are only going to get better'.

But, I am one to ensure i have all bases covered ( and an itchy internet trigger finger ) and started thinking about eyepieces to fit the 1.1/4... so, I have the LVW 8 and 22, and the stock 40.. have just ordered the following on the advice of a forum member.

http://www.telescopehouse.com/acatalog/TeleVue_32mm_Plossl_Eyepiece_1_25__.html

question is... is it overkill to buy <8mm and something between the 8 and 22? thinking to try to avoid barlows, and there is something innately tactile about a heavy eyepiece, and they do look 'collectible' ;) .... wouldn't buy the LVW at list price, so thinking if i should buy something ( apart from the 32 Televue ) in the ranges mentioned above, i would be ok going with the Baader's at half the price?

Either tell me to save my money, or not, as the case may be.

Many Thanks, as always.

Rgds

James

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi James,

I have the same scope.  In my experience, Barlows don't seem to work that well with this scope - especially at higher magnification  - but this could be down to my terrible eyesight! 

I use the Baader Hyperions with this scope... 36mm, 24mm 13mm and 8mm are the sizes that I use all the time.  The 8mm is good for planetary stuff and the rest I use on a variety of DSOs, galaxies etc.  I love the fact that they can also be used as 2" EPs so it saves money having to buy more EPs for wider stuff. I will say though, that I think the 8mm is just about at the limit in terms of mag.  I have a 6mm plossl but it's really not worth using with this scope (I should point out that there is very little eye relief with that EP though, so that may account for this).

I did see (ages ago) other members mentioning vignetting around the edges of the FoV with the combination of this scope and the BH EPs, however, I've never noticed it - but, again, this might be something to do with my eyes!  Everyone is different.  

I use the same EPs with my other scope too (a newtonian reflector) so I will say that I think these EPs are great for the price and I've never had a problem with them.

I decided on the magnifications after checking out a thread in the beginners section:

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/43171-eyepieces-the-very-least-you-need/

It gave me a really good idea of what sizes I should go for etc...

I will also say that this scope has yet to disappoint me! Hope you enjoy it whatever you decide for the EPs.

HTH.

I agree that 8mm will most likely be your highest mag EP, your most used Ep will likely 12mm to 20mm, plus a wide field EP, such as 2" Aspheric 31mm or 36mm as suggested, 40mm Skywatcher Aero is very good too.

Vinetting av Baader Hyperion is mostly likely when you use them with 2" barrel, because the none aspheric Hyperions are essentially 1.25" EPs.

Thanks Rae

it has taken me many many years to decide what to buy, so i hope it serves me well... I guess, whilst always having a passing interest in the subject, it is only after buying one that i realised its not an 'out of the box' solution. From reading, i did kind of figure anything less than 8mm wouldn't necessarily be of much use, but thought to solicit advice anyway... so, with my vixen 8 and 22, and the newly ordered televue 32, probably the best, and only necessary addition to the family would be the Baader 13mm? for a limited budget at least. 

that would give me one for each holder in the base as well :) and leave me some spare cash for the anorak!

I did initially look at barlows, but figured a decent set of 4-5 eyepieces would eliminate the need to try one, and probably give better results anyway.

Thanks again.. so you would recommend ( for a total beginner ) a 13mm, the Baader for a smidge under £100 is the best bet to compliment what i currently have?

Cheers

James

I agree that 8mm will most likely be your highest mag EP, your most used Ep will likely 12mm to 20mm, plus a wide field EP, such as 2" Aspheric 31mm or 36mm as suggested, 40mm Skywatcher Aero is very good too.

Vinetting av Baader Hyperion is mostly likely when you use them with 2" barrel, because the none aspheric Hyperions are essentially 1.25" EPs.

I'm not sure i would agree with the phrase "  because the none aspheric Hyperions are essentially 1.25" EPs. "  these EP's have 2" barrels due to the large input lens it won't fit in a 1.25" focuser, when used in the 1.25" mode they require a supplied adapter lens to work....Somebody with more knowledge than me will come along and put either of us right...

i have already looked at 2 inch diagonals ( williams ? ), but considering i have food thats been in my fridge longer than i have had my telescope i thought i'd leave that for a while, and just maybe get the eyepieces that fit the regular configuration.

whilst i like shiny new things, a don't want to be 'all the gear and no idea', if you take my meaning.

Cheers

James

It has a FOV of 50 degree's i think you will be missing some nice views......

so, for the 1.1/4 you wouldn't necessarily say this was my best option... i only ordered it an hour or so ago, so i guess i can pull the plug if there is something that would be more suited to my set-up

cheers

Oooh! Put on the spot now!

I use the 13mm every time I get the scope out, usually just on planets, or nearer DSOs. Whether or not your will use it depends upon the objects you want to view.  Honestly, I don't want to tell you that you 'have' to have one, you may never use it, or may not like it!  I do completely understand the itchy internet trigger finger (I've succumbed on many occasions!), but if I were you - right now - I would wait a couple of months.  Get out with the scope as much as you can and try all of the EPs you've got on each of the objects you view.  That way, I think you can get a better idea if something is missing from your EP collection.  I bought all of my EPs at different times so I could get a better feel for what exactly I wanted. 

I do think the Baader's are great value for money, but £100 is still £100.  If you buy it right now, then decide you don't want/need it, you may end up having to wait to buy something necessary - like dew prevention kit etc.  

If you do decide to go ahead and buy it immediately, all I will say is that its a very good EP, and for me, a very good magnification.  I don't think its too much to add this EP to your collection.  A 40mm, 22mm, 13mm and 8mm gives a nice range (I think so anyway!).

PS) The 36mm Baader Hyperion I have is the aspheric model and it is very, very good!

i have already looked at 2 inch diagonals ( williams ? ), but considering i have food thats been in my fridge longer than i have had my telescope i thought i'd leave that for a while, and just maybe get the eyepieces that fit the regular configuration.

whilst i like shiny new things, a don't want to be 'all the gear and no idea', if you take my meaning.

Cheers

James

I completely understand where you are coming from! I did, however, take the plunge with a 2" diagonal almost immediately! Mainly because I didn't really like the fit of the one supplied. It didn't really seem secure with the heavier BH EPs.  This was the one I bought (a WO - maybe the same one you've been looking at?):

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/diagonals/william-optics-2-dielectric-diagonal-with-sct-adaptor.html

It came with a visual back to fit to the scope, but I didn't like it... made a screeching noise when tightening it, and it just didn't seem right to me.  Bought a Baader click stop visual back instead (very handy when you need to alter the position of the EP!) and I think the combination of the two is very good:

http://www.tringastro.co.uk/baader-2-inch-clicklock-cl-sc-clamp-2in-sct-thread-2955-p.asp

See, now I've given you more ideas on how to spend your money!! Sorry!! 

I'm not sure i would agree with the phrase "  because the none aspheric Hyperions are essentially 1.25" EPs. "  these EP's have 2" barrels due to the large input lens it won't fit in a 1.25" focuser, when used in the 1.25" mode they require a supplied adapter lens to work....Somebody with more knowledge than me will come along and put either of us right...

Tinker1947 you are correct, they are wide 2" barrels, with a 1.25" adapter so you can use it with both types of fitting.  

As to the vignetting, I don't really know enough about the tech specs to be able to comment on why/how vignetting occurs! 

i think i could happily shoulder the wedge for the 13mm, knowing it would give me all the range i would need, as an absolute noob. so, whilst £100, is, as you say £100, i'd be happy to do it as i can't see myself waiting a few months and then deciding to spend 'more' on a different one. if that makes sense.

With regards to what i want to view, i can safely say it consists of the nearest to furthest objects that i can, i have no particular area, at this point, that i have a preference for.

i already have a kendrick digifire and dew band, with dew shield, so hopefully i don't need to splurge out anymore on that for the meantime.

I suppose, seeing as i just bought the TeleVue 32, it's kind of important for me to know if i have bought something viable in that area... as all i have heard is that the FoV is narrow on that, but as far as i can gather, i'd need a 2" adaptor to get something wider?

sorry for all the questions, but all of your advise will, i am sure, help me make the best choices.

or, do i hold fire on the 13.... i need a new bike chainset too :(

cheers

so, for the 1.1/4 you wouldn't necessarily say this was my best option... i only ordered it an hour or so ago, so i guess i can pull the plug if there is something that would be more suited to my set-up

cheers

TV 32mm has 1.25 barrel with 50 deg Field Of View (FOV), it will show your scope has 2032mm focal length, so the 32mm TV will show you 50*32/2032=0.79deg of sky, with 36mm aspheric with 72 deg FOV, it shows 72*36/2032=1.28 of sky, that's about 60% more.

I'm just speculating here, because I had the impression that I read it somewhere, maybe I got it all mixed up, but that can be easily sort out :smiley: . I see from your sig that you have some hyperions, if you put the 2" barrel on, have a look in the EP, then we have the correct answer, right?

Hi YKSE

so, the 36mm ( do you have a link please? ) gives a much wider field? sorry, excuse my ignorance. would i need to get an adaptor for the diagonal for that too? a lot of info to take in, and a lot of questions from me, but, looking at these items as long term investments, i need to understand the intricacies of what you are telling me, to make sure i don't end up ebay'ing things a couple of months down the line. My first impulse was to buy a low mag wide EP for my setup, so, really want to make sure i buy the best one i can, for my beginner setup. and, have already bought one, so need to change that asap if necessary.

ta!

James

I suppose, seeing as i just bought the TeleVue 32, it's kind of important for me to know if i have bought something viable in that area... as all i have heard is that the FoV is narrow on that, but as far as i can gather, i'd need a 2" adaptor to get something wider?

cheers

I know nothing about this EP, so I can only give my opinion here... And I must stress, it is my opinion! No knowledge or experience of it at all!! Plossl's not only have a narrower field of view, but also very little eye relief.  I don't find Plossl's work for me at all.  You, however, may be different! 

If it was me, and again I stress IF - I would cancel that order and go with either the 31mm or 36mm Baader Hyperion Aspheric:

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/baader-planetarium/baader-hyperion-aspheric.html

Much wider field of view and very forgiving in terms of eye relief.  Doesn't cost too much more, but as I've said, I've got the 36mm and to me its invaluable! 

I'm just speculating here, because I had the impression that I read it somewhere, maybe I got it all mixed up, but that can be easily sort out :smiley: . I see from your sig that you have some hyperions, if you put the 2" barrel on, have a look in the EP, then we have the correct answer, right?

You don't put the 2" barrel on, you take the 1.25" barrel off if that makes sense?  You can see what I mean more clearly in the pic to the Aspheric version above.

The scope itself comes with just a 1.25" diagonal, so to use the 2" setting, you really need to buy a 2" diagonal.  The one I bought came with a 1.25" clamp included so I can use either 1.25" or 2" setting on the EP with just the one diagonal.   

Don't worry about asking questions!! That's what the forum is for!! I've asked plenty since I joined! It's only recently that I am now starting to feel I can actually give out help/advice to newcomers like yourself! 

I hope I've managed to answer them all sensibly so far!

I'm sure that there will be other, more experienced people who could give even more advice in this area.  I'm only going off what I use, and I what I do with the scope. 

Here is a link for the 13mm BH so you can also see what this EP is like:

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/baader-planetarium/baader-hyperion-68-degree-eyepiece.html

thanks. so question number 42 is, if i bought the 36mm aspheric, and used it with the regular diagonal it would effectively be a 32mm unless (until) i changed to a larger 2" diagonal?

or, am i dancing round the wrong pole?

(sorry, i am hoping that because i posted this in the beginners section i'm not being annoying with all these questions that, i assume, 2 months down the line i would not need to ask ).

cheers

James

If you don't have 2" diagonal, then the widest FOV will be about 0.8 deg no matter how wide angle a EP you use, because the barrel of 1.25" diagonal restricts FOV.

To use a 2" diagonal, you need a SC thread adapter like this one

http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p240_TS-Adaptor-from-SC-thread-to-2----Visual-Back-for-2--accessories.html

then a 2" diagonal which always comes with reducer to 1.25" so that you can use 1.25" EPs.

:( confused already..sorry. so the televue 32 would not have been my best low mag option, or at least a good one. hope i haven't jumped the gun here.

If you want to stick with 1.25", the TV 32mm Plossl is about as good as it gets. It will show you the maximum field that the 1.25" format can give and with a comfortable (perhaps even a bit long) eye relief.

A 2" diagonal and 2" widefiled EP's would be able to show a much wider field but at a significantly higher price.

Archived