Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

stargazine_ep29_banner.thumb.jpg.da7f3b163f7bd35187cb558b0346baf6.jpg

buzzlightyear

Good price for this scope?

I paid 274 for mine , so without looking into the details I'd say it was , but as always with eBay be very carefully and fully read what's for sale , make sure it includes all the bits and bobs that should be there...

• Like 1

I'm always wary of spending that much money on eBay.  Whilst it might seem like a good idea, and be slightly cheaper, you're not likely to get the same after sales care that you would get buying from a reputable online retailer.  

If it was me, I'd spend the extra £30 and get it from somewhere I can trust 100%.

• Like 6

I would go with a shop or are sponsor FLO , eBay is a death trap at times

Pat

• Like 4

It's worth a little extra for the piece of mind. For service you won't do better than FLO ;)

• Like 4

Plus, if something is wrong with it, you can take it back to a shop, you cant return it to ebay. Not that alot can go wrong with a scope, but even still, as others above has said, its peace of mind.

Matt

I'd go with a dealer too at that sort of money, FLO is first class for sales and service.

Don't know many dealers who literally bend over backwards to help.

I checked PBPUK with Skywatcher and they told me he was a UK  authorised distributor, and at that time and now, he still is the cheapest? But to my address in Scotland, there were courier charges which are out of my control and dislike.

Check with PBUK but at that price you cant go wrong. It does say FREE P&P, but alas, for me, not to NE Scotland. FLO the SGL  site sponsor also do a deal. I purchased mine from Pulsar Optical, they only charged me £10 P&P ( extremely decent)  and you'll get change out of £280 delivered. Only a penny mind you!

EDIT* cant find any email to back this up, but I now remember speaking by telephone to a Lady at OVL(Optical Vision limited)  Skywatcher Authorised importers for UK. They assured me the PB was genuine.

Edited by Charic
  • Like 1

The picture on the ebay add looks a little skinny for the 200P, I might be wrong, but looks more like the 150P.   Though the add description is specific and imagine this is simply a mistake on the part of the seller!

I've brought loads of stuff from ebay and not yet been caught out (touch wood), though on something like this and knowing how badly couriers treat delicate items in transit, I'd be tempted to buy from someone with a well earned reputation for putting things right or refunding goods that are damaged in transit.

Thanks for the advice guys.

Going to ponder over it for a few days.

Would this scope be better with a EQ5 mount as I've seen some secondhand for around £300?

from my experience............NO!     NO!     NO!   Unless you wish to take up astro-photography. For just Visual Observations, stay with a Dobsonian.

EDIT* I think SnakeyJ is correct with the default image, looks like a 150P but the text is what describes the item. Just check with the supplier. 

Edited by Charic

Come again Tinker lol

I google for Astronomy shops in Norfolk and one came up in Bungay in the High Street with a Photo of the shop, i can't find it now but i think the e-bay seller at the start of this thread will be the same person.....

Found it.....

http://www.philburtonphotography.co.uk/?p=contact

http://www.philburtonphotography.co.uk/

Imho £200 would have been enough for a 200P dob. I've seen them go for £180-£200 complete with lazy susan mod and 9x50 raci included, immaculate condition and around 1yr - 18mths old. Woulda been better to chuck the extra in and buy new for peace of mind - rather than take a punt on the bay. :)

Edited by brantuk

brantuk.......Hi, the one listed in the OP is new. (should be) I have been there on the phone trying to bring down the courier costs, but that's out of Phil's hands, unless he changes couriers . He has his shop in Bungay, and also has a shop on ebay. OVL uk confirmed his reputation as good. Surely someone on here has dealt with this dealer. ? http://www.philburtonphotography.co.uk/ SW has a gripe about the delivery, but found them to be the cheapest for his scope?

Edited by Charic
  • Like 1

It is new brantuc and what's a lazy Suzan mod?

Imho £200 would have been enough for a 200P dob. I've seen them go for £180-£200 complete with lazy susan mod and 9x50 raci included, immaculate condition and around 1yr - 18mths old. Woulda been better to chuck the extra in and buy new for peace of mind - rather than take a punt on the bay. :)

..........he may have logged off for the night!   A Lazy Susan is a turntable (rotating tray) placed on a table or counter-top to aid in moving food. They are usually circular and placed in the centre of a circular table to share dishes easily among  diners.

In order to spec up or modify our Dobsonian mounts, the'Lazy' that we would be interested in, is a metal rotary bearing system, this can be fixed between the base plates of a Dobsonian mount. It will spread the weight of the top section of the Dob efficiently, and will aid / smooth out its rotation/movement around its axis.

brantuk.......Hi, the one listed in the OP is new. (should be) I have been there on the phone trying to bring down the courier costs, but that's out of Phil's hands, unless he changes couriers . He has his shop in Bungay, and also has a shop on ebay. OVL uk confirmed his reputation as good. Surely someone on here has dealt with this dealer. ? http://www.philburtonphotography.co.uk/ SW has a gripe about the delivery, but found them to be the cheapest for his scope?

Thanks for that Charic - I wasn't aware of this retailer. :)

(and thanks for explaining the lazy susan - I was distracted elsewhere for a while)