Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Planetary Imaging with DSLR Video Mode?

Cannot help with BYE as I don't use it.

With my 60Da I just record to the internal Extreme SD card.

You will have to get into the video menu and set Movie crop, think you only get the menu when in video mode.

Movie crop just uses the centre of the frame at 640x480 at 1to1 pixel ratio and of course 60fps.

I have never directly used the 550d in video mode. I can see the crop option in the video menu. If I used the camera in this way how do you set exposure etc - BYE does all that for you - setting exposure and ISO. How would that work at night? Silly question I suppose but I rely on BYE to make life easy.

Peter

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi

I opened up canon Utilities but the screen where the ISO and exposure is displayed is mostly greyed out. The only things I can adjust is AWB, Raw/L etc and where the data is stored. I can only conclude that you cannot adjust this in the 550d. Perhaps I'll stick with BYE. Thanks anyway.

Just had another go and found how to do it.

Peter

Well the only way is up from here  :grin:

My first go with 60da in crop mode, first go with PIPP, first go with Registax, first go at mars, using f/10 SCT plus 2X powermate, "best" of 1000 frames.

Seeing was rubbish, focusing was a nightmare, tried focusing on Arcturus first but it looked like a bonfire night sparkler, guess it can only get better

Dave

post-21198-0-53531500-1400184987.jpg

My first go with 60da in crop mode, first go with PIPP, first go with Registax, first go at mars, using f/10 SCT plus 2X powermate, "best" of 1000 frames.

Seeing was rubbish, focusing was a nightmare, tried focusing on Arcturus first but it looked like a bonfire night sparkler, guess it can only get better

Dave

attachicon.gifmars.jpg

Seeing was rubbish last night but you got something, nothing will makeup for some good conditions.

Dave

attachicon.gifmars.jpg

Not bad! Did you use a Bahtinov mask to focus? They're incredible.

Not bad! Did you use a Bahtinov mask to focus? They're incredible.

No, just focused using live view on laptop, using motor focuser. Have a template for Bahtinov mask but not got round to making it.

Dave

Dave

attachicon.gifmars.jpg

Hi Dave, you have a virtually identical set up as mine. Just a couple of thoughts. I needed to use ISO 800 on Mars in video crop mode for my first effort. I usually take a minimum of 4000 frames. I can't get on with RG6. Autostakkert 2 produces much better results for me. The only time I use RG6 is for RGB align function. For my first Saturn last night I used ISO 1600.

Hi Chris, think I used ISO 200 on Mars in video crop mode, as it was the first time I'd tried it I just did 1000 frames and used Canon Util's, Pipp and RG6 as I didn't want to buy stuff to try it out especially as the planets aren't that well placed at the moment.

First go with RG6 muddled my way through it so may be able to do better.

Also had my first go at Saturn last night, used a higher ISO, 1800 I think haven't processed yet, had a quick look at the vid and looks very dim.

Dave

I had a go at imaging Mars again last night (17th) and tried it with a 2X barlow and 5X digital zoom using BYE. Then for comparison using movie crop mode in Canon Utils.

The first one is the movie crop. For some reason Mars is not as round as it should be - anyone got any ideas why that might be?

I prefer the BYE capture.

Peter

post-35423-0-60247400-1400422470_thumb.j

post-35423-0-03509400-1400422471_thumb.j

First go at Saturn using 60da drop mode, Canon Utils, Pipp, RG6, didn't use the wavelet thingy, not sure how it works, have to find a YouTube tutorial vid'

Seeing not good but it's a starting point.

Dave

post-21198-0-62873500-1400426607.jpg

First go at Saturn using 60da drop mode, Canon Utils, Pipp, RG6, didn't use the wavelet thingy, not sure how it works, have to find a YouTube tutorial vid'

Dave

attachicon.gifSaturn.jpg

best thing to do is play about with the wavelets

I've seen a few tutorials and most do it different and there seems to be no set way 

I found the best results come from trial and error

Dave

attachicon.gifSaturn.jpg

Hi Dave, brightness looks good so good choice of ISO. Can't really tell without further processing but it may be out of focus a bit. Image size is great.

I never realised this thread would go critical! It's great. :grin:

I've had a go on APT last night but didn't get to grips with it enough so will have another go tonight.

Thanks so much Ivo for your help and patience! Here's my thread:

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/216128-does-apt-have-a-5x-zoom-mode-for-planetary/

I've also requested a trial version of BYE and will have a go with that when I get it.

Another attempt at Mars with my DSLR from Friday. I'm trying to switch to MONO RGB but planetary with a DSLR setting up is so pleasant compared to trying to find the target on a tiny CCD chip so I thoughti'd stick it on and do a quick vid. 

Anyway a bit of noise creeping in so I've tried to keep it as natural as I can.

Taken with Canon 5dMk11 Video, BYE, focal projected with 20mm plossl. C11. 500 frame stack from 4000 (might try another with more). I was Pleased to pick out some volcanos :-)   

Best Mars edit.tif

Very nice - you got some good detail there. Better than any of my efforts. At least it's the right shape!

Peter

Thanks Peter :rolleyes:

Well I'm not so sure your shape is off as much as you say as I think the white pimple ice cap gives a bit of an optical illusion added to the fact that its not fully round now anyway from the side shadow etc. Then when when processing its easy to lose an bit of an edge too its a fine line to know where to stop the "fuzz" I always find. So I think your shape is better than you think. You have some fine detail in your pics so you must of had some good focus etc. :smiley:   

I have found you need to crank up the magnification more to get a better size and more data capture better pixel match etc.   Your C9.25 can easily handle a 20mm plossl as I used to have one, so if you can give it a go I would try more mag power than 2x.

Simon  

Here are two images of Saturn from Saturday night (17-05-14). They are both with the C8 edge, 2x barlow and 60D, processed in PiPP and Registax6. 1000 frames.

First one is with BYE:

post-29321-0-47738200-1400497010_thumb.p

And second one with Crop Mode video in EOS Utils:

post-29321-0-88252600-1400497057_thumb.p

I think the colour difference is that I was more agressive with the red reduction on the crop video one. I am using a modified 60D, hence the colour imbalance.

Not sure which I prefer - they both have their appeal and are both far from what I would really like to be producing! Seeing on the night was not great at all.

Having said all that, this is my first image of Saturn and it is a total thrill. Seeing Saturn through a scope when I was about 9 was what started my passion for the night sky, so to finally create an image of it many years later is wonderful!

Top job Gav :rolleyes:

Saturn is a dim, noisy object to DSLR video I find,  so both these are really nice and especially as its your first bash.  

Have you tried the RGB align in Reg 6 on them ? I just tried your top image and it lines back up a treat.  (just re open in reg 6 pres RGB and drag the green box to the middle and expand out to the whole planet and rings and press estimate. :grin:

Simon

Nice job Gav, couldn't prize Cassini division out of my effort, how did you focus ? looks like I may have to make that Bahtinov mask I've been getting round to for the last two years :grin:

I have to wait 'till after midnight for Saturn to come out from behind neighboring trees

Dave 

Archived