Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Planetary Imaging with DSLR Video Mode?

Thanks for the feedback.

I think that the second one is slightly better. I pushed the sliders to about 30% - if I went much more I got a lot of noise which I could not remove. I had several goes at this and concluded that pushing the sliders any more just would not work. I set each denoise to 0.2 - that's 0.2 not 0.02 as it was the only way to deal with the noise. If I has set the sliders to 80% and the denoise to 0.03 the picture would have been awful.

I think that you just have keep experimenting with various settings until you get something acceptable or better. The trouble is that there is no such thing as standard settings in Registax as each picture is different from the last even of the same subject. 

I am going to try a 3XBarlow next time with the 5X set on BYE and see what that produces but time is running out for Jupiter.

Peter

you can get BYEOS to go to X10 if you go into the advanced settings and enable it

I tried it with my 600 last night and got decent results

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Owmuchonomy that is a great start!! The good news is that you're gonna get even better soon with practicing a lot.

There are a few really good videos on youtube about Registax, personally those helped me a lot. I'll search it anf will share it here soon.

Lovely job! Is that a moon on the left just about cross in front of Jupiter?

Yes, Gannymede. I'll post the result of my second movie taken a bit later which catches Gannymede transit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post-35542-0-32857800-1395750925.jpg

Yes, Gannymede. I'll post the result of my second movie taken a bit later which catches Gannymede transit.

Here is my second ever TIFF from a slightly later movie.  Gannymede has just crept onto the face of Jupiter in this one.  I experimented with various ISO settings.  This is at 800 which seemed to be optimum on the night.  Prepared in PIPP and stacked in Registax 6.

Thanks to all on this thread as I am pleased with my first efforts following all your advice.

Chris

Okey there's been some talk about BYE and different zooms (5x and 10x). As I do not use pc for the imaging/recording, my only tool is the camera itself. Not the easiest way for sure,but if you're keen enough it works very well.

What you guys refer (Peter and Oldpink) on zooming above, do you mean using Live View (digital zoom basically). I only recon it is the same thing setting it up on the camera by pressing buttons or using a software (in this case BYE-canon's own software) and doing the same thing but on the pc screen. Let me know if my assumption is wrong or right.

So I have never tried 10x zoom (max was only 6x or 7x due pixellation), but if I'm correct a few lines above, than I will definately try it. Cos those pictures are impressive :-)

Zooming is never easy, but it is answered already. I always zoom on the planet, takes more time because you keep looking at the screen and it comes by instinct (which only works 50-50% lol)....

Nice one Chris - that looks really neat.

I find the most difficult thing seems to be focusing... Does anyone have some keen tips on how to achieve accurate focus with an SCT and planets please?!

Well I use a 600d Canon so I flip the screen out hit the first zoom button 5x and then focus on one of the moons. I have a 9.25 SCT so the image moves around a bit but it works.

Okey there's been some talk about BYE and different zooms (5x and 10x). As I do not use pc for the imaging/recording, my only tool is the camera itself. Not the easiest way for sure,but if you're keen enough it works very well.

What you guys refer (Peter and Oldpink) on zooming above, do you mean using Live View (digital zoom basically). I only recon it is the same thing setting it up on the camera by pressing buttons or using a software (in this case BYE-canon's own software) and doing the same thing but on the pc screen. Let me know if my assumption is wrong or right.

So I have never tried 10x zoom (max was only 6x or 7x due pixellation), but if I'm correct a few lines above, than I will definately try it. Cos those pictures are impressive :-)

Zooming is never easy, but it is answered already. I always zoom on the planet, takes more time because you keep looking at the screen and it comes by instinct (which only works 50-50% lol)....

I used movie crop mode which is the equivalent of 7x according to the Canon manual. So I don't apply any more zoom.

Okay, I just downloaded byeos and tried planetary imaging for the first time. Managed to get some avi captures. 2000 frames, iso 800 or 400. Shutter 1/13 or .1/15. Now the issue when I record in 5x or even 10x my avi's captures of Jupiter show Jupiter so tiny! Being a beginner, im not sure whats wrong. I opened the avi in autostakert2 and registax, and the image seems too tiny to do anything with. Im using a canon 1100D prime focus. Should I be using a barlow too? I though the BYEOS zoom should do the trick and it did show a zoomed in image in BYEOS so why has my recording shown Jupiter so small? Scratching head...

Interesting re. focus techniques. I have tried focusing just by looking at the image on the live view screen, a bahtinov mask on a moon and a bahtinov on a nearby star. All methods give a pretty similar result.

Here's my latest attempt:

post-29321-0-09413000-1395787775_thumb.p

That's from Sunday night, 23rd March. Reasonable viewing, but still not very stable - the video is pretty wobbly. I'm beginning to think that it is my location that gives unsteady viewing - perhaps if I ask all the neighbours at the end of my garden to turn off their heating, the air over their houses will calm down a bit!

So, it's a 60D in crop video mode with a 2x Barlow on a C8. Captured with EOS Utils, pre-processed with PIPP, stacked in Registax6 - 500 frames used from about 5000 and a tickle with Registax Wavelets (perhaps a little too aggressive in the tickling?!).

It's still not nearly clear enough for my liking... Is that a limit of:

1) the kit I am using

2) my processing skills

3) the seeing

4) all of the above

5) none of the above

6) something else (please specify!)

Clear Skies all!

Okay I think I answered my own question. Should have used a barlow... :p

Okay, I just downloaded byeos and tried planetary imaging for the first time. Managed to get some avi captures. 2000 frames, iso 800 or 400. Shutter 1/13 or .1/15. Now the issue when I record in 5x or even 10x my avi's captures of Jupiter show Jupiter so tiny! Being a beginner, im not sure whats wrong. I opened the avi in autostakert2 and registax, and the image seems too tiny to do anything with. Im using a canon 1100D prime focus. Should I be using a barlow too? I though the BYEOS zoom should do the trick and it did show a zoomed in image in BYEOS so why has my recording shown Jupiter so small? Scratching head...

Nice one Chris - that looks really neat.

I find the most difficult thing seems to be focusing... Does anyone have some keen tips on how to achieve accurate focus with an SCT and planets please?!

By far the easiest way to focus is by using a Bahtinov mask. I use one every time and get focus using a bright star which is fairly high - been using Rigel or Betelgeuse lately. Then just swing around to Jupiter or whatever and is in perfect focus or should be. In BYE there is a tool for helping to focus but I don't use it.

Peter

I think that what has happened here is that you had the 5X function active when you were on frame and focus, you then switched to planetary imaging without turning in on again. If you switch to imaging the 5X function resets and you have to activate it again in imaging for it to work. Check the size of the image on your screen each time.

Peter

Andy do not get confused with Live view and crop video mode (digital zoom) just like I did earlier on - looks like I got lost in definitions :)) Live view is a zooming aid, the camera zooms in 5x or 10x (after pressing the zoom+ button at the back top right corner of your camera). But does not have any effect on you recording. Crop video mode does.

This link takes you to the setting you need to change:

http://kbsupport.cusa.canon.com/system/selfservice.controller?CONFIGURATION=1011&PARTITION_ID=1&secureFlag=false&TIMEZONE_OFFSET=&CMD=VIEW_ARTICLE&ARTICLE_ID=53638

At the end of the 9th point the link talks about digital zoom. There you're able to change the resolution, fps and the digital zoom between 3x-10x. Once you choose 3x zoom or higher, you'll see the change ;) During writing this comment I realised you use BYE which an unknown territory for me. But this might be useful too :)

Ohhh and about Registax here is a video I used in my blog and to learn from:

http://metrolinaszabi.blogspot.co.uk/2013/04/registax.html

• 2 weeks later...

I had a go at Jupiter last night as I wanted to compare the 5X and 10X function in BYE under similar conditions. I also used a 3X Barlow lens.

When you compare the 2 you can clearly see that the 10X resolution is much less than when using the 5X.

Peter

post-35423-0-48918200-1396699298_thumb.j

post-35423-0-17445700-1396699299_thumb.j

Hi all,

I am going to start planetary imaging as well. I am using Nikon DSLR, which as you all know, does not have the video zoom to increase the magnification. Should I buy a 2x barlow or a 5x barlow to increase the magnification?

Hi all,

I am going to start planetary imaging as well. I am using Nikon DSLR, which as you all know, does not have the video zoom to increase the magnification. Should I buy a 2x barlow or a 5x barlow to increase the magnification?

I use a 2x Barlow on my Canon for planetary work but also BYEOS x5 feature to get a decent sized image

it seems there is a nikon version of BYEOS available now, you may want to check that out

Archived