SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Planetary Imaging with DSLR Video Mode?

Managed to get some video done on the 16th before the clouds arrived. Jupiter was showing the GRS and I had Ganymede in transit. 

Took this post-35423-0-51540300-1395135547_thumb.jusing the Canon in planetary mode with a 2XBarlow on the CPC. Exposures were at 1/15sec ISO400 and 3000 frames processed in PIPP and Registax. This is about the best I can do with my equipment I think. If any one has a similar set up and gets better results please let me know how you do it.

Peter

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Finally had a go yesterday evening with the crop mode video on my 60D...

Not great, but a point from which to work! Not sure if the lack of detail is down to focus or seeing - or probably both!

not too bad for a first go

I had about the same result with my SW 200 to start with

once I understood the settings better I'm getting better results in terms of detail

it all depends on the viewing I find

Peter I took the liberty of darkening your background to take the worst of the halo out

hope you don't mind

post-34443-0-58057200-1395261086_thumb.p

once I understood the settings better I'm getting better results in terms of detail

Peter I took the liberty of darkening your background to take the worst of the halo out

hope you don't mind

No that's better - could you send me a JPG of this - I don't know how to open a png. How did you darken the background?

Peter

hope you don't mind

Saved it ok but would still like to know what you did. Thanks

Peter

hi peter it was quite easy
I used photoshop's histogram tool and selected the "set black dropper" zoomed in between the halo and Jupiter found a nice dark spot and selected it

that sets all the black in the background to the same value

It's nice to see how everyone is trying to get a decent final result :)

I've been told to try in Registax Wavelet the following:

On the left hand side there are 6 layers you can play with (slides). After finishing with stacking try to set all the 6 layers slide near to maximum. It will make your stacked picture very noisy and ugly, but after that set the Denoise values to 0.02 or 0.03. It will balance it ( I guess) and bring out quite a lot of details which are hidden otherwise. 

Also at the Functions section on the right hand side of Wavelet there is a button called "Wavelet Filter". After clicking on it, a window pops up and at "Gaussian" set the "Initial" from the original 0.1 to 0.2 or 0.3. For Jupiter it work most of the time. After that I start playing with Gamma, Colour Mixing, RGB Align and RGB Balance.

This is where I am at the moment, with Registax this is the way I could make my Jupiter look better than anything I've tried before.

BUT this is an ongoing process, you always learn as you read other's processing method. But I thought to share my experiences. 

Looking forward to see how you guys doing it. I also will try to use my 2x barlow and the 2.5x Powermate together as Atlas suggested. I only need some free time now :-)

Clear skies to all

Well Peter I would say the bottom one has probably more details, looks less colourful for sure but it wouldn't matter to me  if I could get a better overall picture :-)

Plus you've got the moon as well so what else can I say lol. Very well done.

Peter what's you opinion about the pictures you've shared above?

As I understand Registax, if you push the slides about 80%, but set denoise around 0.03 the picture gets in balance at the end, it definitely works for me. But lots to play with, it only needs patience and shedloads of time....

Thanks for the feedback.

I think that the second one is slightly better. I pushed the sliders to about 30% - if I went much more I got a lot of noise which I could not remove. I had several goes at this and concluded that pushing the sliders any more just would not work. I set each denoise to 0.2 - that's 0.2 not 0.02 as it was the only way to deal with the noise. If I has set the sliders to 80% and the denoise to 0.03 the picture would have been awful.

I think that you just have keep experimenting with various settings until you get something acceptable or better. The trouble is that there is no such thing as standard settings in Registax as each picture is different from the last even of the same subject. 

I am going to try a 3XBarlow next time with the 5X set on BYE and see what that produces but time is running out for Jupiter.

Peter

You're right Peter I gave you the wrong numbers but I see you what I meant to say :-)

I agree with you,every shot need an individual approach for processing. Bit for me it was helpful to that with other's techinque which helped me to find my own way.

Seems like we only need clear nighy sky only :)

post-35542-0-17524500-1395667902.jpg

This is a really informative thread. I'm going to have my first go at Jupiter tomorrow with the Canon and SCT 9.25.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well here it is, my first ever attempt at a planet from last night using this thread.  It was a bit cloudy. Cel SCT 9.25 and a Canon 600D. Prepared using PIPP and then stacked in Registax 6.  I used all the default settings as I haven't a clue what I'm doing yet.  Just caught Gannymede  before the transit.

Archived