Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Planetary Imaging with DSLR Video Mode?

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hoping to get out this weekend, weather is giving me hope of an almost full night of clear skies and no wind to speak of

I want to get some better shots of Mars & Jupiter maybe Venus as well, but really want to get some DSO as well

though the LP here is going to be a major issue on that front

Had another go at Jupiter last night but wanted to get the moons in. This was taken in BYE 700 frames 0.6s ex at 200ISO. Processed in PIPP and Registax and Paintshop Pro. Tried other combinations but this one gave the best results for this shot.

Peter

post-35423-0-29999900-1393760360_thumb.j

So, I managed to get out last night and ran a couple of captures; one with BackyardEOS Live View and one with EOS Utils video crop mode using my 60D.

Here's the BYE image:

post-29321-0-60730600-1393760333_thumb.p

And here's the Video image:

post-29321-0-13758100-1393760716_thumb.p

Have to say that seeing seemed to be pretty shocking - the image was very very wobbly... They are both stacks of around 750 frames, the best 30% roughly from the entire approx 2 min captures.

Still along way to go - the next experiment is to film with the QHY5-II... That will be mono though. Then there is the whole barlow thing to try out too. I smell more expense!

That's looking really good oldpink. I'm interested to know about the 2x Barlow and how it fits in. I tried with one the other day, but failed miserably... Focus was impossible, so I think I had it in completely the wrong place...

I'm trying several variations to see what works best

that picture was my skywactcher 2X barlow direct into the T ring, mounted into the 1.25 adapter on the focuser
I also tried it at prime focus with the 1.25 adapter screwed onto the T ring, I could focus both methods in Jupiter with ease

esp after I adjusted the tension on the focus wheel, works a treat now

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

This is a fantastic place to widen my knowledge of astrophotography, I enjoy reading your experiences on different imaging methods.

I use a Canon 600D on a Skywatcher 200PDS, never tried other ways. Yet :) Normally registax does a good job for me. Here is one of my bests so far, registax gave quite a huge impact on the final image but had to read a lot about what can be done with it. It's damn hard but that's why we like it don't we :)

I'll tune up for this site and keep reading :)

Clear skies

Wow Atlad these are amazing Jupiter shots, colours are just so realistic. Indeed I need any kind of help on 600D to maximize the pontential the camera has. :)

What's your imaging method? Barlow? Live view? I recon all of these.... but mostly I'm interested on a secondary camera. I was browsing for one, but I don't want to invest on a laptop and all the gadgets it requires to be able to use that secondary camera. But as I dig myself into the subject deeper and deeper, it seems unavoidable....

So can you explain how you got this stunning result please? :-)

I use SW 200pds 8" reflector with the mentioned Canon 600D, 2x barlow and I have a 2.5x powermate but unsure yet which one does better (seems like the powermate). Plus registax only. Does it also matter if I'm in London or not? Wow there are a fair amount of questions above, sorry for that :)

Thanks

Normally when shooting Jupiter, I would use ISO 800 with a gain fairly elevated to prevent onion rings during processing. I would shoot with live view, normally with a 5x powermate since the sensor is set so far back in the camera body (some nights I would doublestack a 5x powermate with a 3x barlow). The 3x zoom is all that I would use. Avoid using the 10x digital zoom since it washes out details.

Color wise, the 600D is very sensitive to mist/fog/dew build up. The biggest thing to watch out for is over exposure. I would then use the canon software to convert the .movto .avi. I'd run it through pipp, then stack with autostakker2. I would only use Registax 6 for wavelets. For final processing, I put the image through image-Analizer to remove any noise.

Then tweak to your tastes in photo-shop.

I know it sounds like a lot of steps, but I goes by fairly quickly once you are used to it.

In my gallery I also have an eyepiece mod for pretty neat afocal shots.

Let me know if this works out for you guys. It isn't fool-proof since the weather/seeing still plays a huge role in your results.

Hi all

My experience with eos and planets:

I do all my planetary with canon eos 1100d with 2,5 gso barlow and baader moon sky glow filter either with my c8 or mak102.

Connected to my laptop, and using Eos movrec to capture (a freeware, very simple) with its *5 feature. I reach a steady 25 to 30fps. The canon is set to M and i use typically iso 200 (100 for the moon) and speed of 1/8 to 1/20 depending the conditions (the shift from dark to overexpsed is very quick when changing few steps in shtutter speed, one need to experiment a bit).

I never tried higher iso (not sure if this could anything, i don t see iso in such cases having big effect on brightness for some reasons, apart bringing noise, the shutter speed is main effect to play with

I like the baader filter, it heps for jupiter details and color contrast. It seems also to have also some influence on turbulences. As claimed ( i did a comparison once with/without on same night -it is not huge difference of course but still a positive effect)

I record typically 60 sec on jupiter and longer onsaturn and whatsoever with the moon.

The movie is directly recorded in avi recoginzed by registax. In case of saturn, i found usefull to preprocess in pipp (with strecth histogram enabled, it helps tremendosly to rebalance the colors correctly), while no differences in case of jupiter.

Check my gallery for results.

I have no direct comparison with webcam or panetary cameras, as i never had any.

Hi

I use a Barlow with my Canon. You simply get a Barlow with a T adapter (365 Astronomy have them as do many others) which is about £25. You then attach the Barlow to the DSLR and then put into the visual back of the scope as you would an eyepiece. The picture of Jupiter that I attached above was done this way using Backyard EOS.

Hope that's clear.

Peter

It's been a very useful thread!

I nearly had an image to post today... But for the clouds. Everything set up yesterday evening with Jupiter perfectly in frame, just focusing on a moon with the bahtinov and I start to wonder why it's fading on the live view screen... Look up and the whole sky is covered with fast moving cloud. Where the heck did that come from so damn quick. Anyway, cursed the Cloud Gods, packed everything away and watched Top Gear....

Maybe next time.

Archived