Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Sticking eos to SCT?

I apologise in advance but I know that a T adaptor can be used to fix a dslr to a SCT tube. If I wanted to do long exposure on my CG5 go to mount would I need a guide scope? I have a red dot finder now but I'm thinking that the screen of the dslr wouldn't be sufficient to accurately guide through?

I've seen cameras strapped to scopes with their own scopes, is this what is needed to do this dso imaging?

Sorry but the penny hast quite dropped yet. Can anyone put my options for AP in laymans terms? I've just repaired my laptop which will help with image processing but I'm still a little confused with my choice of set up when using a dslr with computerised EQ5 go to mount and an 8" SCT with 2032mm focal length.

Any advice will be appreciated greatly

Max

Max

Options for guiding as far as i know (and i don't do it):

Off axis guiding where you get an adaptor which takes a bit of light from the edge of the light train and feeds it to a guide camera which usually feeds into a computer and the computer makes mount adjustments to keep the guide star (and the target) in the same position.

Guide scope - either use a finder guider (guide camera attached to a 9x50 finder scope) or attached to a second scope which is bolted some how to the main scope. In both these instances the guide camera feeds into a computer as in the off axis guide camera.

In both set ups, your dslr sits at the back of the main scope and just images the target.

Other options are available, but these seem the commoner; and all have their limitations and peculiarities.

There must be a guide called "guiding for dummies" on the web! Not that i am suggesting you are a dummy :)

Good luck.

Jd

I apologise in advance but I know that a T adaptor can be used to fix a dslr to a SCT tube. If I wanted to do long exposure on my CG5 go to mount would I need a guide scope? I have a red dot finder now but I'm thinking that the screen of the dslr wouldn't be sufficient to accurately guide through?

I've seen cameras strapped to scopes with their own scopes, is this what is needed to do this dso imaging?

Sorry but the penny hast quite dropped yet. Can anyone put my options for AP in laymans terms? I've just repaired my laptop which will help with image processing but I'm still a little confused with my choice of set up when using a dslr with computerised EQ5 go to mount and an 8" SCT with 2032mm focal length.

Any advice will be appreciated greatly

Max

Long exposure AP With an SCT. You definitely need to guide, due to it´s long focal length!

So you need to invest in an Off Axis Guider + Guide cam like QHY5-II.

Tho (as I had the same Scope and Mount several years ago) precise focussing will be a pain tho, due to Mirror flop in these standard SCT´s.

So you might also want to look at something like this in the future:

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/starlight-instruments-feather-touch-sct-microfocusers/microfocuser-for-celestron-cpc-800-6se-c8edge-8se.html

Max

Options for guiding as far as i know (and i don't do it):

Off axis guiding where you get an adaptor which takes a bit of light from the edge of the light train and feeds it to a guide camera which usually feeds into a computer and the computer makes mount adjustments to keep the guide star (and the target) in the same position.

Guide scope - either use a finder guider (guide camera attached to a 9x50 finder scope) or attached to a second scope which is bolted some how to the main scope. In both these instances the guide camera feeds into a computer as in the off axis guide camera.

In both set ups, your dslr sits at the back of the main scope and just images the target.

Other options are available, but these seem the commoner; and all have their limitations and peculiarities.

There must be a guide called "guiding for dummies" on the web! Not that i am suggesting you are a dummy :)

Good luck.

Jd

Haha I didn't for one minute think that mate :-)

I will have to digest your reply over a cold one I think. I'll try the t adaptor with my current set up first and see what evolves. If I pop over to Nottingham I may chuck my bits in the boot

Maybe someone could write a book "ap for dummies' I'm sure it would be a best seller! :-)

Long exposure AP With an SCT. You definitely need to guide, due to it´s long focal length!

So you need to invest in an Off Axis Guider + Guide cam like QHY5-II.

Tho (as I had the same Scope and Mount several years ago) precise focussing will be a pain tho, due to Mirror flop in these standard SCT´s.

So you might also want to look at something like this in the future:

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/starlight-instruments-feather-touch-sct-microfocusers/microfocuser-for-celestron-cpc-800-6se-c8edge-8se.html

Thanks for this. If I want to photograph bright nebulas and galaxies like andromeda, m51, Orion's nebula, ring nebula will I need long exposures like you say? This is all pretty confusing :-S

Max you know you are welcome to pop over; i'm no guider though but my astro neighbour is starting out doing it and getting on well so he will no doubt be a better reference source if you do visit.

There are plenty of books out there; i've got several, but they are not all as punchy/useful as i think many of us amateurs would like. Maybe you should master the technique and write one :)

Have a good play with lunar imaging first at prime focus, then lots of shorter exposures to stack of some of the brighter messier objects. Guiding is a big jump i think, so it would be useful to get some basics under your belt first maybe; else it might be wise to just go for it all guns blazing!

As said above, the sct is not the classical scope people use for guiding, but that story is for another time.

Jd

Zhumell makes a simple 9x50 160mm guide scope for 50 chips and look for a older mono used Meade DSI1 for under 100 bucks done.

???

First you recommend CMOS planetary cameras in another topic, while the person clearly said he was looking into CCD cameras for long exposure DSO imaging.

There is a reason why People use OAG on long focal length Scopes.

Thanks for this. If I want to photograph bright nebulas and galaxies like andromeda, m51, Orion's nebula, ring nebula will I need long exposures like you say? This is all pretty confusing :-S

You'll be able to get 30-90 seconds unguided i suspect. But one 180 second exposure is better than two 90 second ones because the ratio of data to noise will favour the data more in the linger exposure.

You need to read a book :) When you come over you can borrow one.

Jd

Long focal length AP is extremely challenging. Especially with a CG-5 Mount. You won´t be able to take long enough exposures without guiding.

You'll be able to get 30-90 seconds unguided i suspect. But one 180 second exposure is better than two 90 second ones because the ratio of data to noise will favour the data more in the linger exposure.

Jd

With a short focal length Scope, like an APO and Perfect polar alignment. Sure. Not With an SCT tho.

With a short focal length Scope, like an APO and Perfect polar alignment. Sure. Not With an SCT tho.

Surely it depends what you are accepting of; yes if you want to win astronomy photograph of the year you are going to be unlikely, but if you just want some pictures of pretty nebula and globular clusters, and maybe a few galaxies to show your mates on facebook, it is possible to get some unguided results:

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/194166-cocoon-nebula/?fromsearch=1

Jd

Jd

Argh! I'm still confused lol. I think baby steps are in order. I'll throw my kit in the boot before I come over I think and we can compare notes :-)

I'll be happy with a few decent shots of "some stuff" but I'll stick with my C8 and CG5 GT. Must draw the line now I think and work at it.

Maybe a meet up in the peaks is in order when the weather starts to behave :)

IMG_5173editLB-marked_zps4a747436.jpg

My single 30 second (maybe 60, can't remember) exposure of the supernova in M81 through a C11 on azeq6 unguided with a canon at prime focus. Rubbish compared to most of the astro-imagers work, but still pretty and i was chuffed, as were my non-astronomy mates on facebook.

Jd

Surely it depends what you are accepting of; yes if you want to win astronomy photograph of the year you are going to be unlikely, but if you just want some pictures of pretty nebula and globular clusters, and maybe a few galaxies to show your mates on facebook, it is possible to get some unguided results:

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/194166-cocoon-nebula/?fromsearch=1

Jd

He is using the New Advanced VX Mount, which is a much better Mount than the old CG-5.

I m not saying he cannot try. But just don´t expect much results unguided with the CG-5.

EDIT: And Your AZ-EQ6 Mount is three times the price of the CG-5.

Still fantastic result tho With the C11! :)

EDIT: And Your AZ-EQ6 Mount is three times the price of the CG-5.

Still fantastic result tho With the C11! :)

Probably more than that. My 3rd hand CG5 was very cheap ! :)

As long as it's better than holding my iphone to the EP I'll be happy.

I'm going to focus on the moon at first. I think it's a fascinating object and taken for granted. Very underrated and very beautiful IMHO

Thanks for the input mate :)

i have a cg5 gt with a skywatcher 200pds and i can get up to 2 minutes unguided but that is the max with the weight for the mount  (if it isnt to windy lol) just make sure of really good polar alignment .

get a 9x50 finder and add a webcam to guide with and phd.

i've been reading a book by allan hall called getting started, long exposure astrophotography. got a kindle edition for about nine bucks. he says you can't use a dslr and live view for guiding because the screen will shut down from thermal overload after a while, and there is also a delay in the image being written to the screen, which would wreak havoc on the guiding portion of your night out.

Archived