Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Planetarium a Wat Tyler Country Park

zakkhogan

Hi all.

So, recently i e-mailed Basildon council leader Tony Ball regarding the street lights going off (or staying on), it was just on a whim but i suggested that the big street light switch off could be used as an educational tool to educate youngsters and adults alike in the would of astronomy. 

I suggested that if a Planetarium was built at Wat Tyler Country Park in pitsea it would sever not only as an education center but also as a safe observing site.

An article went in the Yellow Advertiser Thursday just gone and since then i have had over 40 responses via e-mail, test message and facebook  from people supporting the idea, some of these people i have never met but have gone out of their way to contact me.

If any would like to help (even if you not from Basildon as this project would server all of Essex not just Basildon please e-mail Cllr Ball on tony.ball@members.basildon.gov.uk saying that you support the idea of a planetarium at Wat Tyler.

Thank 

Craig

post-23525-0-70534900-1392622870_thumb.j

Emailed

:icon_salut:  :icon_salut:

Also emailed Chris Lintott, see if he can spread it around.

What you should now do Craig is maybe suss out any costs involved to put to the council before they reject the idea as being too expensive.

Any ideas anyone ?

Good work Craig. I have emailled Mr Ball as well. 

Probably the only way to fund it would be for a small observing fee to be charged. though would ask what you exactly had in mind....something like Kielder / or the one in Scotland.....or just an area set aside for astronomers to use...

Great work Craig! However I belive that Wat Tyler Country Park would be best location due to huge Light Pollution from refinery in Cavey and  new container port with huge logistic park in the future in Coryton. Perhaps location north from Basildon or Wickford would be more suitable. After street light switch off this should be quite dark place.

not yet, However in the last 9 hours i have received over 160 followers.

Adam, it may not be the 'ideal' location for astrophotography however it is the ideal location for an astronomical education center. 

When the lighst do go out, there is going to be a massive opportunity for eveyrone's own backgarden, this will offer an astronomical education to everyone who wants it 

Archived