Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Coronado PST, any good?

I have had a PST since 2005 and have tried many different EPs. Over the years I decided that the best EP was the Baader Hyperion zoom which is now the permanent choice. The Baader zoom allows you to choose the best magnification for the sky conditions and usually its around the 16mm position. I also use a blackout cloth which allows better contrast especially on viewing small proms.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I find anything less than 10mm becomes difficult to view with. e.g. my 8mm Hyperion does work but eye placement is critical and hard work. Even then the image although magnified is quite "busy" with artefacts/reflections etc.

Best EP I've found is a 12.5mm BGO. Sharp, clear, not to difficult on eye placement. I'm sure a similar EP could be found, e.g.a Fujiyama orthoscopic, Lyra Optics does them or the Astro Hutech orthoscopics that FLO do. Around 12mm seems to be the sweet spot for just enough magnification over the stock 20mm but not so much that viewing becomes hard work. None of the more complex EPs I've used for night viewing seem very good in a PST.

There are of course the Cemax EPs but they seemed a little overpriced for what they are.

Cheers

Ian

Archived