Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Coronado PST, any good?

Hi all. It's advice for Dave time again. You've always given such good advice ;)

I'm having a think about buying the £659 version of the above scope. I don't really want to spend more than this as to be honest I'm more into the night time stuff but would be prepared to spend this. However, if I'm frankly just going to be disappointed I'll save myself the money.

So what I want to know is, what will I see? What is the quality like? And have any of you out there got any pictures you've taken using this that you could share with me so I can see?

I've read somewhere that it fits on a camera tripod, is this right or will I need something else.

Thank you all for any input.

Dave.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it is fair to say that you will be blown away by what you get to see, that being prominences, flares and surface detail that it is not possible to see other than with H-alpha.<br />

<br />

Ian<br />

<br />

<br />

Sent from ma fone using Tapatalk

Oh good, this sounds promising :) Yup I might have asked the question the wrong way. I know what the H-alpha images show but I guess I meant how much will an entry level scope show off this?

Thanks for the reply though. I'm starting to get that excited tingly feeling that always seems to cost me money lol.

Dave I bought a PST in 2005 and never regretted its purchase. I used it today and had great views of prominences, filaments etc - it really is a great purchase. If you decide to enter the H.Alpha world you also need to consider the Lunt range. Did I notice that you were coming to SGL9 because you are welcome to have a go with my PST before you commit yourself to the expense.

I would say its not that easy to take photos with the PST but here is one that I took of the Venus Transit in 2012 to give you an idea.

post-1628-0-53908800-1392574983_thumb.jp

Dave

It might be a good idea to try one first.  I bought an impulse bargain PST at Astrofest, to find that amazing as the views are, they just don't "do it" for me. It's off to Astro Buy and Sell for me!

Barry

Thanks Mark. Yes I'll look you up at SGL and plod on over to your field. Thanks. I'm not really planning on taking pics but just wondered if anyone had any so I could get a feel of what that scope will show.

I can see me in the summer with a bbq and beer looking at the sun. Sounds good eh!

Thanks Mark. Yes I'll look you up at SGL and plod on over to your field. Thanks. I'm not really planning on taking pics but just wondered if anyone had any so I could get a feel of what that scope will show.

I can see me in the summer with a bbq and beer looking at the sun. Sounds good eh!

It's actually really difficult to get a feel for what the scope will show because Ha solar images tend to be colourised to highlight certain structures. You won't see the yellow/orange colourscheme, rather it will be pure red but the contrast and detail you actually see through the scope will be better than the majority of 'PST' images. They really are lovely scopes and quite a bargain for what they show.

Dave

It might be a good idea to try one first.  I bought an impulse bargain PST at Astrofest, to find that amazing as the views are, they just don't "do it" for me. It's off to Astro Buy and Sell for me!

Barry

I'm in this camp too. I owned a PST for a couple of months and found the views just as billed but not as alluring to me as nighttime viewing. I have a good white light filter that shows very nice views when used with my 4" refractor but that does not get much use either I'm afraid.

The PST's are amazing devices though. They deliver the sort of views that were simply not accessible to the amateur when I started in the hobby.

Thanks Mark. Yes I'll look you up at SGL and plod on over to your field.

Dave I am not staying at SGL9 because I only live 10 minutes away. But with my G.Mod hat I am in attendance every day. We will meet up because I try and say hello everyone. As long as the Sun shines you are welcome to view with the PST. I am also likely to have the 4" APO frac with the Herschel Wedge, Baader Continuum Filter and binoviewers.

I've enjoyed using the PST that I got secondhand. I rigged it up on a Meade EXT tripod and basic Manfrotto head, and I use it with a camping stool. I got the PST cheap enough so even though I don't get to use it that often it has been very handt to get a quick look at solar flares that I get email alerts for.

Would I have paid the new price for it? I don't think so as I'm not interested enough in solar observing to warrant sinking that much cash in it, but I was happy to pay the secondhand price.

I've had one for a few years and think it's amazing what it lets you see for the money. 

I have looked through other bigger HA scopes but haven't been tempted to upgrade, double stacked it goes even deeper and is plenty to keep me happy. 

I see it comes with an eyepiece but can I use my other eyepieces with it? Quite excited now and definitely going to get one. My aim is to save up to get one at the International Astronomy Show in Warwickshire in June. It's always nice to walk away from an event with a new toy isn't it? :D

My first solar views were through a PST and I was blown away. The sun is the only star we can actually see in any detail and there is so much going on up there that it changes by the hour. I find it absolutely fascinating and it fills a big gap in astronomy when the night time skies are clouded out. I always put one out at star parties and invite folks to have a look and I always get gasps of pleasant surprise. Some folks hang around for ages taking in as much of it as they can.

Sure the PST seems expensive compared to some scopes - but if you buy second hand you get a fair discount - and it can always be sold on at very little loss if in the unlikely event you become disenchanted with it. As above - get a look through someone else's first and you'll be enthralled. :)

I'm a slight doubter a well, though we seem to be in a minority. After looking through several PSTs which visited here I decided that for beginners (real beginners) there probably wasn't quite enough 'wow.' I found the views just not quite exciting enough and some time later went for a Lunt LS60. There is a big step up in price but even absolute beginners get a kick out of the views in the 60.

I really do think you have to try an entry level Ha scope to see where you stand personally.

Olly

I'm a slight doubter a well, though we seem to be in a minority. After looking through several PSTs which visited here I decided that for beginners (real beginners) there probably wasn't quite enough 'wow.' I found the views just not quite exciting enough and some time later went for a Lunt LS60. There is a big step up in price but even absolute beginners get a kick out of the views in the 60.

I really do think you have to try an entry level Ha scope to see where you stand personally.

Olly

Having looked through a few PST's and the 60mm offereings from Lunt and Coronado, that's my personal view as well. I'm saving for a 60mm rather than buying a PST. I've never looked through the Lunt 35mm though, so my wallet is holding out hope that that is better. I will also want to stick a camera on it as well as an eyeball, so that is influencing my decision as well.

Still, for £500 the PST for visual use does what it says on the tin.

Dave I bought a PST in 2005 and never regretted its purchase. I used it today and had great views of prominences, filaments etc - it really is a great purchase. If you decide to enter the H.Alpha world you also need to consider the Lunt range. Did I notice that you were coming to SGL9 because you are welcome to have a go with my PST before you commit yourself to the expense.

I would say its not that easy to take photos with the PST but here is one that I took of the Venus Transit in 2012 to give you an idea.

attachicon.gifIMG_3228.a.jpg

Lovely picture Mark, that's very similar to how I saw it visually for about six minutes through a miraculous gap in the clouds :-)

I do love my PST. Of course I know the views through a larger Ha scope would be spectacular, but it still gives me a lot of pleasure, particularly alongside the Herschel Wedge.

Stu

• 2 months later...

Archived