Narrowband

What stops you Stargazing?

Sandancer10

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Local council deciding to upgrade all the street lights around me now meaning I have shadows to the end of my garden and no clear lines of sight where a streetlight isn't in my eye anywhere... only temporary though - moving in a couple of months.

If it wasn't the above though then laziness, brain dead fatigue from work and Champions League football on TV would be the answer...!

Flare-ups of my rheumatoid arthritis, which have become more frequent this last year or so.  :sad:  Had one about two months back, which put me out of action and had to have a steroid jab to calm things down. Unfortunately as the arthritis began to ease I got hit with acute sciatica, which I've never had before, and has well and truly put pay to my observing and most other things for that matter.   :sad:

Except for visits to the hospital and my GP I've been confined to the house for the last five weeks and most of that is spent flat on my back on the setee... I  can't stay on my feet for more than a half hour as it aggrevates the condition and the pain becomes too much!  :sad:

I just can't believe my luck...the arthritis was debilitating enough but this sciatica is even worse. I'm in for a MRI scan in late May which will hopefully find out what's causing the problem. Just hope it goes before then though! 

Apologies for the rant.... I don't normally post my problems online (my wife, bless her, has to put up with my moaning) .... one of the symptoms of 'cabin fever' I guess......

My shift pattern at work. I work one week early, one week late.

Early means getting up at 5am, so in the winter, all is good, as I can observe for a few hours and be in bed by 10 or 11pm. Lates means home at 10pm. By the time I've settled, had food, etc. I don't want to be lugging a scope out, setting it up, and letting it cool, only for me to probably fall asleep in the interval.

I also get very tired. I can't seem to stay up past about midnight or 1am now. My eyes get tired the quickest, making it hard to focus and I loose concentration. I guess I'm not cut out to be an astronomer!

When I first started astronomy (nearly 7 years ago now), I use to get up in the night, wake up early and view. Now, can't remember the last time I woke up at 2 or 3am for a peek out. I don't think I've ever done an all-nighter. Guess I'm no longer 21, and 28 with work starts to take its toll.

John

An eight month old son has put paid to .... about eight months of observing.  Before that I was pretty dedicated. I will be back on it next season, except for full moons, rain, cloud, alcohol, unimpressed looks from my lovely wife, work, apathy.

That said, some trees in my garden are about to suffer the axe. This will improve my horizon substantially and my enthusiasm is likely to go through the roof!

Can't wait.

What stops me is knowing I need some sleep for school and family, I have a five month old. I will stargaze almost every night but then there are nights where I know I'm fine to stay up till like 2 am mountain time. However when I get my new scope, I'll be using it every clear night for sure.

(1) The seeing conditions: Though our skies may seem clear, we have a lot of street lighting couples with a lot of particulate matter/pollution in the air.

(2) One too many (insert your favorite poison here) Lol!  :embarassed:  :rolleyes:

(3) Old age aches & pains.

(4) Did I mention "One too many (insert your favorite poison here)"  :evil:

Flare-ups of my rheumatoid arthritis, which have become more frequent this last year or so.  :sad:  Had one about two months back, which put me out of action and had to have a steroid jab to calm things down. Unfortunately as the arthritis began to ease I got hit with acute sciatica, which I've never had before, and has well and truly put pay to my observing and most other things for that matter.   :sad:

Except for visits to the hospital and my GP I've been confined to the house for the last five weeks and most of that is spent flat on my back on the setee... I  can't stay on my feet for more than a half hour as it aggrevates the condition and the pain becomes too much!  :sad:

I just can't believe my luck...the arthritis was debilitating enough but this sciatica is even worse. I'm in for a MRI scan in late May which will hopefully find out what's causing the problem. Just hope it goes before then though! 

Apologies for the rant.... I don't normally post my problems online (my wife, bless her, has to put up with my moaning) .... one of the symptoms of 'cabin fever' I guess......

sorry to hear about your medical problems. i had a bout of sciatica last year and it is pretty nasty.

i hope it eases off for you real soon. 

Apart from the weather, the main thing that stops me is being cream crackered all the time, esp as it's getting dark later now. I always try and get out if I see a clear sky but find I can't stay for as long as I should. I've had a couple of episodes of mild anaemia over the last few years. Better book myself in for a blood test!

sorry to hear about your medical problems. i had a bout of sciatica last year and it is pretty nasty.

i hope it eases off for you real soon. 

Thanks for that tenbyfifty.

It's surprising how many people get at least one bout of sciatica in their lifetime. Apparently it clears up in most folk after a week or two but others can have it for  months....fingers crossed on that one. It also varies in the degree of pain one gets.  The first couple of weeks i had it, combined with the arthritis, was absolute hell, and despite taking a cocktail of morphine, diazepam and codeine/paracetamol to combat the pain I was still left in a lot of discomfort. Thankfully It has eased a bit this last fortnight enabling me to cut back on the pain relief, but I'm a bit on edge that if I make a wrong move it will come back with a vengeance.

Thanks for that tenbyfifty.

It's surprising how many people get at least one bout of sciatica in their lifetime. Apparently it clears up in most folk after a week or two but others can have it for  months....fingers crossed on that one. It also varies in the degree of pain one gets.  The first couple of weeks i had it, combined with the arthritis, was absolute hell, and despite taking a cocktail of morphine, diazepam and codeine/paracetamol to combat the pain I was still left in a lot of discomfort. Thankfully It has eased a bit this last fortnight enabling me to cut back on the pain relief, but I'm a bit on edge that if I make a wrong move it will come back with a vengeance.

That's quite an impressive cocktail you've got there! I know how you feel. I have mild arthritis, a bad back and now an attack of gout in my feet.

Really puts a damper on lugging around an 80 lb scope, even in the best of weather. 

Hang in there!  :smiley:

Cheers SunBear.

My brother had gout a few years ago....not very  nice at all!!  

A depressive cocktail more like!...  I was pretty zonked for much of the time when taking that lot on a regular basis.  :wacko:  Also had some really freaky vivid dreams :eek: ....a couple of them were quite pleasant though!  :smiley: 

Archived