Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

What stops you Stargazing?

Sandancer10

Tv stops me. There are only so many programmes that my digital box thingie can record at any given time which means i have to watch others. Stupid tv,i hate when a load of good programmes all start in the same month and same nights and times.

The weather doesnt help either. Alcohol is another factor. You start off with a drink and its cloudy and raining. An hour or two later and its nice and clear. The only thing you can observe by that time is double stars.

*hic!!!!*

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good point but if you moved to Spain I'd say the TV is rubbish and you'd get out more but it's not true, you just end up watching terrible TV. :D

But yeah, TV, Kids, Food, Laziness and mostly tiredness are the major concerns here.

Booze is fine I just incorporate it with my activities but I'm trying to cut down, honest I am. :D

It's laziness mostly for me too. But, I do have a pretty good excuse.

For me, unless it's just seeing Jupiter from the car park near my flat, going out involves a 2 hour round trip and dragging my scope onto 4 buses to get to Greenwich (where the LP is still pretty awful). So unless the weather is looking perfect, I don't want to risk spending all that time and energy just for the clouds to roll in  when I arrive there.

I reckon if I lived outside London and had a decent garden, I'd probably be out most clear nights.

My back!! Having damaged it quite seriously a few years ago I have to nurse it constantly so if its playing up then there is no telescope time. Though the CPC800 is the baby of the CPC family it's still an awkward lump to carry up to the roof.

I do work myself to the bone and do not get much time for stargazing, if it wasn't for my daily trips to the sauna/steam room I fear I could not continue  :grin:  as a result I have only managed 13 observing sessions this year :shocked:

Mmm Pig

Can't decide whether thats sarcasm, wit, lies, deception or all of them....I mean.....13 times already this year.............fibber

Barry

Case in point.

It's clear out ATM but my entire rig is indoors where I've been testing the new components. (They are all talking to each other BTW)

To set it up in the garden I'll have to break it down into Tripod, Head, Counterweights, 'Scopes, lugging each down a now slippery, muddy path (Thanks to the downpour we had this afternoon). The rain also stopped me setting it all up in the light.

Polar align without weights or 'scopes, put the weights and 'scopes on, and balance them.

Then take out the small table, laptop power supplies and asst cables. Plug everything together and hope it still works.

What are the chances of it still being clear? Or even not pouring again?

Meanwhile here I am in the warm and dry, thinking "Do I really want to do all that?" I won't even be imaging, more like test guiding.

Really must build an obsy, or even a permanent shelter for the 'scopes. Or at least stop making excuses.

Yeah, pretty ironic, but at least you have an obsy underway, I'm not even sure I have room for one, a shelter may be the best I can do. Oh, and make a decent safe path when This London clay dries out enough to work.

At least it's not so cold that thermals are needed, but the transparency is rubbish, only 4 stars in the Orion Rectangle and none of the bow stars are visible.

with all the rubbish weather, new longer working hours and a dose of never ending cold since xmas, i have to say i have almost forgotten how to set my scope up:(

ihave had the bins out once or twice tho and we did all line up in the garden on xmas day to watch the xmas star fly over.

i really need to get out more... and right on cue, the clouds roll in again:(

• 2 months later...

Clouds, weather.. Last winter during photo session I was thinking, how it felt so cold. Mount, camera and laptop worked ok, but they were slow.. I had to use laptop without gloves forawhile and I did some adjustment to mount. It almost hurt. Then I took a look, how cold it was. -35c. Well it didnt stop me, but have to say, I didnt stay much longer.

Summer puts a stop for 4 months, its just too bright here in Finland. Yes, one really can read newspaper outside in the middle of the nigh without light..

Only 3-5 brighest stars can be seen. Still I managed to take a shot of M57 last july.. Nothing stops me trying it again..

clouds, pre-planned unavoidable events (when it's guaranteed to be clear as a bell), and being fair to my family. other than that I observe when I can but mainly from home. I'd love to get out more to darker sites this year.

Archived