Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

What stops you Stargazing?

Sandancer10

The excessive hours of the job, the cold and the wind.  

I live on top of a hill, often when its clear here is blowing a gale.

Still i got to see the Sun sunday morning, and a beautiful still steady morning it was too.  8-)

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But im still in awe of the sky when im outside and it is clear.

That's really what it's all about - regardless of whether you use the Mk.1 eyeballs or a huge photon sucker. :)

With the unpredictable spells of clear skies of late, I have also taken the opportunity of getting out to walk at night just to gaze at the stars. Torch is on hand but switched off!

A job that requires that I get up at 06:00 and drive 70 miles means during the week I can not stay out any later than midnight or I will be too tired to drive safely.

Have two young kids means I can not get out to a dark site as they are too young to be left alone, so that restricts me to nights when my wife is not out.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk

Sleep is for the weak! Better busy than bored :)

Sleep is indeed for the weak!!  ;)

However, despite conditioning myself to survive on very little over the years, late working and endless cloud seem to burden me endlessly.  Last time I did any astro at all was mid December. That's tragic!!

It is hard work at the minute, take this week, the forecast is very hit and miss so nothing more off putting than 'having' to go out as I don't know when I will get another chance.

Looking forward to a run of clear nights when we can pick and choose when to go out.

laziness and apathy, coupled with this 'orrible weather. Also during the week I'm up at 6.20 for school so I don't stay up late. It's half-term now so, of course, the forecast is 'orrible all week.

Of course when it *is* clear the chances are there's nearly a full moon which wipes out any DSOs

Argh!

High clouds, moon, wind and a touch of apathy are definitely in the running for me.  Also arranging to go and visit friends for the evening is guaranteed to bring about a clear night.  As is tidying the scope and mount out of the hallway during the day, so it means that I have to carry everything through the house to set up at night.  

John

Work...work...work... , 

Ive had a few quick outings with my little TV85 , a minute or so to set up and its given me some cracking views of old Lunar and even Jupiter's main belts have been nice and contrasty after some heavy rain . I've heard the best scope is the one you use the most , well this little one's given me little excuse even if I've had only 10 minutes.

Work...work...work... ,

Reading these posts work has got to be the biggest problem. I used to commute to London getting up at 5.30 and getting home 14hrs later after some demanding work. So any stargazing was confined to weekends and holidays which obviously reduces the opportunities especially when apathy, bottles of wine etc can still intrude.

But retirement is totally liberating. If I want stay up until 2.00 and then get up again at 4.00 pm I will - and do.

So, stick with it lads and lasses - your time will come and you will enjoy it

Not for me, the way things are going I'll be working until I drop dead at the keyboard.... 

Five years ago, I had another 25 years until I could retire, this year, I have another 27 years until I retire...

I try to stick to the Carpe Diem mentality...  :)

High clouds, moon, wind and a touch of apathy are definitely in the running for me.  Also arranging to go and visit friends for the evening is guaranteed to bring about a clear night.  As is tidying the scope and mount out of the hallway during the day, so it means that I have to carry everything through the house to set up at night.  

John

amen to that EVERY time I say 'yeah sure ill come over for dinner!' Whoosh the clouds are gone :D glad its not just me... in a wholly selfish manner ;)

Retirement....

I really don't know if I can / want to go on in my present job (School senior science technician) until I'm 66. I know it's only another 7-8 years, but even so...

Well at a pensions meeting I attended last week I was told I probably won't get a state pension when I retire at the age of 678 :D so I reckon I'll cram in the stargazing now and hope I die before retirement age comes for me :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Work...work...work... ,

Reading these posts work has got to be the biggest problem. I used to commute to London getting up at 5.30 and getting home 14hrs later after some demanding work. So any stargazing was confined to weekends and holidays which obviously reduces the opportunities especially when apathy, bottles of wine etc can still intrude.

But retirement is totally liberating. If I want stay up until 2.00 and then get up again at 4.00 pm I will - and do.

I agree, Retirement is wonderful - you can go to bed when you want and better still - get up when you want. Spending as much time on hobbies really is a full-time job though :)

Retirement....

I really don't know if I can / want to go on in my present job (School senior science technician) until I'm 66. I know it's only another 7-8 years, but even so...

Have you not watched any Breaking Bad ?.....  :laugh:  

The neighbours hens.

Well they have their own security lights that when tripped light up my garden, and am sure can be seen from the next village.

Having been spoilt by the views from Seething, it's a lot tougher to be as motivated at home. Thankfully, on those epic nights, a few of us now are trusted with keys to the Obsy.

I do work myself to the bone and do not get much time for stargazing, if it wasn't for my daily trips to the sauna/steam room I fear I could not continue  :grin:  as a result I have only managed 13 observing sessions this year :shocked:

Have you not watched any Breaking Bad ?.....  :laugh:  

He he, I do, in fact, have a quite reasonable chemistry degree, and it's mainly my inability to deal with paperwork (And exam stress) that stopped my from completing my PhD in photochemical organic synthesis.

Archived