SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

What stops you Stargazing?

Sandancer10

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And how many have pulled an all-night session? That is, from dusk 'till dawn on those few clear nights that make it worthwhile? I accept for those working for a living it's difficult other than at weekends perhaps, but it seems a long night when it gets to 4:00am especially it seems. I usually find myself bleary-eyed and nodding off by that time.

ChrisH

I've been trying to overcome my 'blockers' 

If it's a 'maybe' night, where it might cloud over or rain in an hour or so, I don't get out the AZEQ6 and spend ages polar aligning and all that stuff.

I bought an Altair-Astro Sabre that I can set up in a couple of mins with the refractor and say 10 mins with the C11.

If I am going to get the AZEQ6 and/or C11 out, I found that the physical effort of humping heavy gear around and assembling it was the biggest 'sickener'.

So I started going to the gym again and being strong enough to hold the C11 straight out with one hand, or shift the mount and a stack of counterweights, wheelchair batteries and the rest of that junk without breaking a sweat really helps.

GCSEs, and revision for an assortment of controlled assessments, particularly French. I often need to spend 8 hours of a fortnight memorizing 300-400 words of the stuff, and that can (occasionally) be after dark on a clear night. I try not to let our take over completely, though.

Laziness, clouds, and strong winds also contribute.

David

GCSEs, and revision for an assortment of controlled assessments, particularly French. I often need to spend 8 hours of a fortnight memorizing 300-400 words of the stuff, and that can (occasionally) be after dark on a clear night. I try not to let our take over completely, though.

Laziness, clouds, and strong winds also contribute.

David

Bon courage mon ami!!!!

Mostly my own apathy. The latter half of last year was pretty good weather I gather, but I didn't make it out between May 2013 and Jan 2014 except one star party! Had some stuff happen last year so energy and enthusiasm took a hit :( Getting better now though :D

Usually, in more normal times, it's my energy that stops me despite my enthusiasm - the thought of rushing dinner then lugging the kit out after a day at work often makes me close the blinds and "not notice" the clear sky :D Astro is mostly a weekend activity for me (so of course the weekends are all miserable and cloudy!)

I get out as much as poss I find myself checking weather apps looking at stargazing apps then when u find u do get a chance to go out the met office have got it wrong and I find myself in the fridge looking at a can of fosters oops!

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk 2

And how many have pulled an all-night session? That is, from dusk 'till dawn on those few clear nights that make it worthwhile? I accept for those working for a living it's difficult other than at weekends perhaps, but it seems a long night when it gets to 4:00am especially it seems. I usually find myself bleary-eyed and nodding off by that time.

ChrisH

I havn't made it an all nighter yet - only 9.00 till 3.00am - does 6 hours count?  :cool:

Normally it's the proximity of the last recent stargazing night. As an example last night I was out, so for the next few nights it's easy for me to stay in if it looks dodgy.
If it's been a while (more than 3 or 4 days at the moment) then I'm climbing up the walls and will take risks on clouds / rain etc.

Archived