Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

Sandancer10

What stops you Stargazing?

Sleep is for the weak! Better busy than bored :)

I'm weak though, boring and weak... I love my bed!! :grin:  I shall just have to think fondly of it from afar :laugh:

• Like 1

I'm weak though, boring and weak... I love my bed!! :grin:  I shall just have to think fondly of it from afar :laugh:

Drag your bed outside, telescope attached to headboard.......problem solved

• Like 1

And how many have pulled an all-night session? That is, from dusk 'till dawn on those few clear nights that make it worthwhile? I accept for those working for a living it's difficult other than at weekends perhaps, but it seems a long night when it gets to 4:00am especially it seems. I usually find myself bleary-eyed and nodding off by that time.

ChrisH

• Like 1

Drag your bed outside, telescope attached to headboard.......problem solved

You've haven't kept an eye on the weather news lately have you.... my bed is not a boat!! :grin:

• Like 1

You've haven't kept an eye on the weather news lately have you.... my bed is not a boat!! :grin:

Oil drum on each corner? :evil:

Oil drum on each corner? :evil:

oh yes, how silly of me, I can just get those oil drums and rope out of my handbag! I knew they'd come in handy!!! :icon_mrgreen:

• Like 1

I've been trying to overcome my 'blockers' 

If it's a 'maybe' night, where it might cloud over or rain in an hour or so, I don't get out the AZEQ6 and spend ages polar aligning and all that stuff.

I bought an Altair-Astro Sabre that I can set up in a couple of mins with the refractor and say 10 mins with the C11.

If I am going to get the AZEQ6 and/or C11 out, I found that the physical effort of humping heavy gear around and assembling it was the biggest 'sickener'.

So I started going to the gym again and being strong enough to hold the C11 straight out with one hand, or shift the mount and a stack of counterweights, wheelchair batteries and the rest of that junk without breaking a sweat really helps.

oh yes, how silly of me, I can just get those oil drums and rope out of my handbag! I knew they'd come in handy!!! :icon_mrgreen:

Glad I could help :cool:

it seems I've met my sarcasm equal :wink:

It's taken years of practice but I'm getting there.............

• Like 1

Probably the only thing stops me is cloud,any sign of a clear sky i will be under it.

Well aren't we the star pupil!

:evil:  :p

• Like 2

GCSEs, and revision for an assortment of controlled assessments, particularly French. I often need to spend 8 hours of a fortnight memorizing 300-400 words of the stuff, and that can (occasionally) be after dark on a clear night. I try not to let our take over completely, though.

Laziness, clouds, and strong winds also contribute.

David

GCSEs, and revision for an assortment of controlled assessments, particularly French. I often need to spend 8 hours of a fortnight memorizing 300-400 words of the stuff, and that can (occasionally) be after dark on a clear night. I try not to let our take over completely, though.

Laziness, clouds, and strong winds also contribute.

David

Bon courage mon ami!!!!

What stops me from stargazing? This thing;

25%20NOV%2013%20GLS%20DMK41web-M.jpg

Oh...yeah... it IS as star.

So, er, nothing then! Nothing stops me.

VERSION2-M.jpg

Honest!

Olly

• Like 6

Mostly my own apathy. The latter half of last year was pretty good weather I gather, but I didn't make it out between May 2013 and Jan 2014 except one star party! Had some stuff happen last year so energy and enthusiasm took a hit :( Getting better now though :D

Usually, in more normal times, it's my energy that stops me despite my enthusiasm - the thought of rushing dinner then lugging the kit out after a day at work often makes me close the blinds and "not notice" the clear sky :D Astro is mostly a weekend activity for me (so of course the weekends are all miserable and cloudy!)

What stops me is a complicated life, even though I'm retired, but I make the most of the opportunities that present themselves.   :smile:

Sometimes i just cant be bothered. Ive not been out at all this winter (apart from binos a few times). But im still in awe of the sky when im outside and it is clear.

• Like 2

I get out as much as poss I find myself checking weather apps looking at stargazing apps then when u find u do get a chance to go out the met office have got it wrong and I find myself in the fridge looking at a can of fosters oops!

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk 2

And how many have pulled an all-night session? That is, from dusk 'till dawn on those few clear nights that make it worthwhile? I accept for those working for a living it's difficult other than at weekends perhaps, but it seems a long night when it gets to 4:00am especially it seems. I usually find myself bleary-eyed and nodding off by that time.

ChrisH

I havn't made it an all nighter yet - only 9.00 till 3.00am - does 6 hours count?  :cool:

• Like 1

I havn't made it an all nighter yet - only 9.00 till 3.00am - does 6 hours count? :cool:

I think 6 hours counts! I've only ever lasted 3... When the AP starts I'm sure it'll get longer....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Normally it's the proximity of the last recent stargazing night. As an example last night I was out, so for the next few nights it's easy for me to stay in if it looks dodgy.
If it's been a while (more than 3 or 4 days at the moment) then I'm climbing up the walls and will take risks on clouds / rain etc.